Europe Parliament accelerating transition to Electric Cars

Jtalk4456
Message added by SansVarnic

This topic has some obvious political undertones as well as a magnet for environmental difference of opinion.

Remember to keep all commentary/replies civil and on topic. Uncivil remarks or attacks toward others will removed and the commenter warned.

Thanks

https://euobserver.com/environment/143015

TL:DR the European Parliament has voted in a rule for making stricter CO2 regulation along with having an incentive for manufacturers that make 35% of their sales be in ZEV's (Zero Emission Vehicles). There was already a goal and restrictions in place, but this ruling took it up a notch

TL:DR: I think this is a very good thing. Even if you don't care about global warming, pollution is still a thing.

MEP=Members of the European Parliament. 

Some Quotes:

Cars and vans sold in the EU in 2030 should on average emit 40 percent less carbon dioxide (CO2) than they will in 2021, the European Parliament decided in a vote on Wednesday (3 October).

MEPs said that by 2025 the emission levels should already be 20 percent lower than in 2021.

I'm glad someone is not just waiting for things to happen slowly but recognizing change can haoppen much quicker with regulation

On Wednesday, MEPs went along with the commission's proposal to introduce a 'bonus system' for car makers whose fleets reach a certain percentage of electric vehicles or other zero-emission and low-emission vehicles (ZLEVs). But the parliament increased the figures.

They adopted an amendment which said car companies whose new sales in 2030 consisted of 35 percent ZLEVs, should be allowed to miss the CO2 target by up to five percentage points.

The 35 percent by 2030 reference point – called a 'benchmark' in the proposed legislation – would be preceded by a 2025 benchmark of 20 percent ZLEVs.

Additionally, the parliament said that the system should work both ways, and that it should be a 'bonus-malus' system.

In other words, if a car maker does not produce enough ZLEVs to reach the benchmarks, it will have to reduce more CO2 emissions than the 30 percent target.

honestly a bit confused on this one. if a company is making 35% ZLEV's and following that better practice, why would they be also failing on their CO2 emissions?

I think the punishment is very important though

"The good old combustion engine car that served us so well for 130 years is ready for a well-deserved retirement," said Dutch liberal MEP Gerben-Jan Gerbrandy.

"If in Europe we want to build tomorrow's car, we have to develop it much more quickly than we are doing now. Market forces as we have seen are not sufficient. The legislators should help," he noted.

Gerbrandy was one of the authors of a damning parliament report about the Dieselgate scandal. Several of Tuesday's speakers were members of the inquiry committee into the widespread emissions cheating by European carmakers.

"If the European Union really wants to compete with China, then our producers should offer enough low-emission and zero-emission cars," said Mark Demesmaeker, a Belgian MEP who sits with the European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR) group.

A-Freaking-MEN!

While there was some opposition from members on the right, 

the amendments tabled by MEPs from the ECR and the centre-right European People's Party (EPP) – respectively the largest and third-largest groups in the parliament – were all defeated, often by a narrow margin.

:D

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

It's a nice sentiment, but it isn't a decision like this that will actually make anything happen. We need some real action to achieve the goal.

RIP decent European vehicles. It's been a nice 30 some year run.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

They need to start building a tonne of Nuclear reactors hell of alot more quickly across europe!

CPU: Ryzen 2700x Cooler: NZXT x52 Kraken Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair Vii RAM: Team Darkgroup 3600 16GB DDR4 GPU: Palit GTX 1080 Gamerock SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256 GB, 500gb 870 Evo, 250gb 970 Evo m.2 HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracude Case: Meshify C PSU: Corsair AX860i OS: Windows 10 Pro

Laptop: MSI GS70 2QE

Where does the electricity come from?

As long as we burn coal for electrcity this is a ridiculous effort. Dumb as hell.

Not even talking about the batteries, which are an environmental disaster on their own.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Razzy_85 said:

They need to start building a tonne of Nuclear reactors hell of alot more quickly across europe!

They scale back on Nuclear power. Burn coal instead. LOL

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

We aren't ready yet. Electric cars may work great in California, but over here where we have temperatures even below -10°C during winters and sub or around zero temperatures for several months, batteries are far from efficient. And while range is somewhat better now, charging isn't. Petrol engine needs 5 minutes for a refill to 100% with included time spent for payment and they can be "charged" all over the world without any complications. Charging an EV takes more than half an hour even on the fastest charging units. Assuming you even find one that isn't occupied. Then you have to deal with 500 providers each using its own dumb system of payment through complicated app systems. Imagine placing a 60 year old person in position of using an EV when they get scared by slightly more modern controls on a freaking washing machine. I don't like the way they are pushing these charging stations and I'm a tech geek, expecting normies to embrace it is next to impossible. It just won't work.

I've spent quite some time thinking of going EV and the more I was digging, the more I wanted to stick with petrol powered car.

As long as the origin of the power is still creating CO2, as with around half the power produced, electric vehicles mean little besides the location where the fuel is burnt.

The petrol engine doesn't need a retirement. Perhaps adaptations, but it has places where electric isn't viable.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Give me more EV discounts and I'm game.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

7 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

As long as the origin of the power is still creating CO2, as with around half the power produced, electric vehicles mean little besides the location where the fuel is burnt.

The petrol engine doesn't need a retirement. Perhaps adaptations, but it has places where electric isn't viable.

That's true. But I think the whole point is to remove dependencies on fossil fuel, and likely once cars are all electric at least some of the power will be clean energy. It's a step in the right direction to say the least

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

Can the infrastructure of more rural countries handle this change? A farmer in a rural area might not be up to letting go of their diesel truck that's been working since the 80's.

Also, typo in the title.

Can we please stop with the myth that there's no point to EVs until the power sources are clean?

There are multiple studies showing that EVs are still greener overall, even in countries where the vast majority of the energy is 'dirty.'  And more importantly, it's incredibly short-sighted to say we shouldn't promote EV adoption until most energy is clean.  Do you really think that renewable energy development is frozen in time?  That we won't shift primarily to renewables over the next few decades?  To bring up the colloquialism, don't let perfectionism be the enemy of good.  We won't achieve meaningful emissions reductions by waiting until everything is ideal to do something; we will by taking gradual steps forward.

10 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

As long as the origin of the power is still creating CO2,

CO2 isn't the problem. CO and Nitrous Oxides are.

CO2 is benefitial to plant life, and of the green house gasses, CO2 is the one that doesn't warrant caring about.

And guess what catalytic converters on gassers and newer Diesels do: convert CO, hydrocarbons, Nitrous Oxides into water, inert Nitrous, and CO2.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

WTF kind of laws? they just simply vote emissions should be % percent lower in upcoming years? based on fucking what?  if we dont have the technology to improve that much how can they vote such laws.

Electric vehicles might be nice there, but where I live we have something called winter where it gets below -20 F every year. I would much rather have a car that runs on gas.

this "you have to sell cars that emit only x%" has been going on in Europe for a long time now, still the only thing it achieved was for manufacturers to cheat the tests and because EU has so much manufacturers it really doesn't control as it should. This is just more pointless nonsense.

43 minutes ago, Razzy_85 said:

don't you mean more renewable sources of power using wind and solar for example. Why would anyone build nuclear reactors? to help the nuclear industry lobby

Electrics Veihicles will push ppl to install their own solar panles, or wind farms because this will be cheaper than charging your car at work or charging stations where price for charge will increase since there will be more EV

Quote me so I can reply <3

Don't know how to feel about this.

Don't think the whole world is ready just yet

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

37 minutes ago, Vode said:

Where does the electricity come from?

As long as we burn coal for electrcity this is a ridiculous effort. Dumb as hell.

Not even talking about the batteries, which are an environmental disaster on their own.

you are forgeting a huge thing, on cars the efficiency we get from the engines is a lot lower than what we can get if there are no weight and size restrictions, so even if the electricity came mostly from coal it would still be better than using petrol.

32 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

see above

there is one thing i would like to point out though, europe is so focused on "renewable sources" that they mostly gave up on nuclear, which i think in the end will be the best source because every renewable source means messing with our planets natural ecosystems, dams prevent normal water flow, solar panels prevent heat from going into the earth, wind generators slow wind down, the effect might be small now but as we need more and more energy the effect on the planet will increase, while with nuclear reactors we can take a lot of energy from a very small amount of matter, and with reactors like the molten salt reactors, safety is no longer a problem, all this renewable energy also makes electricity here be extremely costly, if you have the average cost per country and compare it with how much of the energy is renewable you can easily see that the more renewable there is the costlier it is, partly because of most renewable energies being quite random in their production meaning extra power must always be on standby 

6 minutes ago, asus killer said:

this "you have to sell cars that emit only x%" has been going on in Europe for a long time now, still the only thing it achieved was for manufacturers to cheat the tests and because EU has so much manufacturers it really doesn't control as it should. This is just more pointless nonsense.

don't you mean more renewable sources of power using wind and solar for example. Why would anyone build nuclear reactors? to help the nuclear industry lobby

nuclear isn't as bad or at least it doesn't need to be and "renewable" isn't as good as it sounds 

56 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

https://euobserver.com/environment/143015

TL:DR the European Parliament has voted in a rule for making stricter CO2 regulation along with having an incentive for manufacturers that make 35% of their sales be in ZEV's (Zero Emission Vehicles). There was already a goal and restrictions in place, but this ruling took it up a notch

TL:DR: I think this is a very good thing. Even if you don't care about global warming, pollution is still a thing.

MEP=Members of the European Parliament. 

Some Quotes:

I'm glad someone is not just waiting for things to happen slowly but recognizing change can haoppen much quicker with regulation

honestly a bit confused on this one. if a company is making 35% ZLEV's and following that better practice, why would they be also failing on their CO2 emissions?

I think the punishment is very important though

A-Freaking-MEN!

While there was some opposition from members on the right, 

:D

Interesting no one ever considers where exactly the electricity they're charging their vehicles with actually comes from....

coal-696x392.jpg

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

nuclear isn't as bad or at least it doesn't need to be and "renewable" isn't as good as it sounds 

nuclear is cancer, there's the potential for a disaster and the waste problem. You are from Portugal if you had a nuclear accident there in such a small country you would all end up refugees in Spain.

I did not understood the part of the renewables, what's the downside? care to elaborate

36 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Can the infrastructure of more rural countries handle this change? A farmer in a rural area might not be up to letting go of their diesel truck that's been working since the 80's.

Also, typo in the title.

This is about new vehicles, not existing ones. Old fossil fuel vehicles might actually become more valuable as new ones can no longer be purchased.

I read "European parliament accelerating" and was like oh fuck. Anyone else?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

24 minutes ago, Gawron10001 said:

Electrics Veihicles will push ppl to install their own solar panles, or wind farms because this will be cheaper than charging your car at work or charging stations where price for charge will increase since there will be more EV

And what will the government do if people start making their own electricity? They will put a tax on it, so you will have to pay tax, because you are not buying their electricity directly. 

Aaaand there goes your cheaper option.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

6 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

And what will the government do if people start making their own electricity? They will put a tax on it, so you will have to pay tax, because you are not buying their electricity directly. 

Aaaand there goes your cheaper option.

Yeah it'd be fairly easy to circumvent that tax.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.