Vessel acquired and shut down by Verizon

ExplodingTNT

Verizon has announced that they will be buying video startup Vessel (used by LTT, among other popular channels) and shutting it down.

Verizon said Wednesday it is buying the technology behind Vessel, the short-form video firm started by former Hulu CEO Jason Kilar.

The telecom giant is acquiring Vessel’s product and technology, but plans to shut down the Vessel service. Kilar won’t be joining Verizon long-term, but his co-founder, Vessel CTO Richard Tom, will become the CTO for Verizon’s digital entertainment efforts, including its Go90 mobile video service.

I wonder what Linus will think of this...

Well, it's bad for LTT because they won't be able to make money from Vessel subscribers anymore, but it also marks the end of the one-week exclusivity that messed with Youtube viewers.

As for Vessel subscribers, Tom said annual subscribers will get a prorated refund, and all customers will get October free. Tom declined to say how many people had signed up for Vessel’s service.

Well, at least Vessel subs will get refunds...

Source: http://www.recode.net/2016/10/26/13428014/verizon-buying-vessel-jason-kilar

EDIT: Here's the email sent out to Vessel subscribers, courtesy of @Muffinator

Spoiler

Subscriber,

Nearly 18 months ago we launched Vessel with the goal of creating the best place to watch content from your favorite creators across all your devices. Today, we are announcing that our team will continue on with this mission as part of the team at Verizon, the largest wireless service provider in the US.

With this change, we will be sunsetting Vessel and the service will go offline on October 31st, 2016. As a current annual subscriber, you will be automatically refunded for the remainder of your subscription starting with the month of October, and your account will not be charged again.

Thank you so much for using Vessel and being part of our community.

The Vessel Team

Edited by ExplodingTNT
Added Vessel's email to subscribers

Maybe YouTube Red might be utilized by LTT as a replacement for this? 

But why would Verizon shut down Vessel, as far as I am aware they don't have competing products. 

1 minute ago, stuntguy3000 said:

But why would Verizon shut down Vessel, as far as I am aware they don't have competing products. 

YouTube Red isn't even available in le Canadia so I don't see how LMG would sign up, seeing that they are located in Canada...

3 minutes ago, Crashbash111 said:

Yeah I was just about to post about it. RIP :(

Well someone posted this like an hour ago, but the topic was moved to the programs category, IDK why

EDIT: Posted 6+ Hours ago but moved.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Full quote from an email sent to Subscribers:

Subscriber,

Nearly 18 months ago we launched Vessel with the goal of creating the best place to watch content from your favorite creators across all your devices. Today, we are announcing that our team will continue on with this mission as part of the team at Verizon, the largest wireless service provider in the US.

With this change, we will be sunsetting Vessel and the service will go offline on October 31st, 2016. As a current annual subscriber, you will be automatically refunded for the remainder of your subscription starting with the month of October, and your account will not be charged again.

Thank you so much for using Vessel and being part of our community.

The Vessel Team

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

Haha, it closes at the end of the month, pretty sudden.

I wonder how much Verizon paid.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Well someone posted this like an hour ago, but the topic was moved to the programs category, IDK why

Because it didn't follow the News section guidelines.

BTW moderators, I hope I didn't mess up this topic, it's my first time :P

4 minutes ago, stuntguy3000 said:

Verizon has go90. 

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

and that's why we can never have nice things, i was finally moving away from youtube and this happens, like what the hell??? are you kidding me?!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Verizon joins the ranks of att, microsoft, and ea in buying up companies and destroying them.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I just got the email about this and instantly thought of what this means for LTT. I guess we'll be going back to YouTube only which is fine I guess, very curious to see how they will talk about this on WAN this week

@nicklmg well I'm sure you guys have more info on this than us (especially you in particular Nick as you handle most of the business aspects), guess we'll her the full scoop on wan

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

So, if they will continue their work, does that mean that Verizon will launch their own service?

Also what's gonna happen with the rights for NerdSports? @nicklmg

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

3 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

This is awesome news!! Finally going to see the watercooled ps4 :)

It's already on YouTube. Great vid, should totally watch.

Not sure why they needed to announce they'll shut it down as well. Might as well read "Verizon adquires Vessel, shuts it down and takes a shit right on every subscriber's face"

-------

Current Rig

-------

4 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

This is awesome news!! Finally going to see the watercooled ps4 :)

Was waiting for you to post :D

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650