Youtube will no longer allow video overlays of sponsor logos and product branding, unless Google is paid by the sponsor

Overl0rd

"YouTube has quietly amended its ad policies to block “graphical title cards” from sponsors aiming to promote their brands and products on YouTube channels, according to a revised FAQ document in YouTube’s help and support section. Video overlays of sponsor logos and product branding are no longer allowed — unless the sponsor pays Google to advertise on that channel."

"A YouTube representative called this revision a clarification of its existing policy, one that occurred late last year, intended to prevent advertiser conflicts and ensure viewers don’t feel bombarded by ads. Paul Kontonis, executive director of the Global Online Video Association, however framed it as an explicit change that prevents YouTube stars and multichannel networks from working prominent sponsor logos and images into their videos without handing Google a cut of the revenue."

SOURCE: https://digiday.com/platforms/youtube-moves-outside-overlay-ads/

This could have some major consequences for Youtubers who are sponsored...

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

How does that make sense?!

I know a lot of gaming channels who have those kind of overlays and the WAN show has one too..

Google.. Y U DO DIS>!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

*hands google a shovel*

"Keep on diggin' buddy.. I know you can do it.."

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't get why anyone would have a problem with it. Aren't they just adapting the old ad policy to cover the ads inserted into videos?

Oh my god. This is just stupid.

I can bet that this won't work and after while they will change this policy.

sponsors can just lie and say that they are paying 100$ but then send a larger sum under the table to the "youtuber"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Oh no.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

so.. no video overlays??

pass it via audio... or have physical flash cards of the sponsors on the screen...

Wow. What a perfect opportunity for somebody else to offer a less restrictive service for online video content. Screw them. All @LinusTech  and @Slick need to do is leave a forwarding address. Jesus, so much digging.

Indeed.  Perhaps Linus should get in touch with Vimeo and see what can be done there. 

Vimeo has a per-user upload limit per week/month and it's laughably small, they are too small time to afford servers.

Dailymotion is stuck in the stone age of video compression and is an adware shithole.

The only hope is whatever Yahoo! said they were working on, which went all quiet-mode.

I hope something proper emerges from a country with sustainable copyright laws and won't be DMCA lapdogs like Google.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I wonder what kind of an impact this is going to have on the channels themselves (LTT included). How will they tackle the channels that depend on the individual sponsoring? Does YouTube ask a commission on every video or something? or will they Banhammer every medium to large channel?

Screw them, I hate the way YouTube prerolls their BS and their banners they put onto the video are way to annoying. Thank god for adblocker in this regard.

I get it that YouTube tries to make money, but doing this by screwing the content makers is simply the wrong way.

spazfishlarge_by_carredondo-d801xr5.png

And damn... 3 years ago i would swear on my life google was above this kinds of shit, now, they do it all the time. We need competitive services taht are good enough to challenge google...

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Yeah I am sure Google need all that extra profit -.-

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

And damn... 3 years ago i would swear on my life google was above this kinds of shit, now, they do it all the time. We need competitive services taht are good enough to challenge google...

I'd say it is a bit too late. Google is now just too big and too rich...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)