Youtube will no longer allow video overlays of sponsor logos and product branding, unless Google is paid by the sponsor

Overl0rd

Wait, people bash on Linus for his video ads until Google says there can't be any more in Linus's videos, then everyone hates Google and reminisces about CES intro ads and Dollar Shave Club?

What the actual heck?

The less ads the better, I say.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I would be the good person to disable adblock on person, HAD GOOGLE NOT IMPLEMENTED FUCKING MIDROLLS.  Prerolls are fine, Banners, alittle intrusive, but I can deal with that, but midrolls are fucking absurd, especially the way Google has it where they are placed at seemingly random points of the videos.  I pretty much only adblock youtube for that one reason.  If I can control what it blocks, like only block FUCKING MIDROLLS, then I would set it to that.  Sadly, its just not possible to do that sort of thing.  I guess the only way i will be able to support the content creators I like will be via donations...

Shareholders-329.jpg

Google saw this movie before they made their choice to enact this new set of rules. 

Spoiler alert Google: Dude went to prison. Greed, contrary to the saying, is not always good. 

@LinusTech, if these rules become too "intrusive" with respect to your ad income and sponsorships with other companies, would you take a serious look at perhaps moving to another platform (Vimeo, maybe Twitch itself?) or would you have to "suck it up" and contend with the fact that for now, YouTube is the most required evil you have? 

Shareholders-329.jpg

Greed, for a lack of a better word, is good. Greed...is right.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

I'm happy about this.

Although it didn't say anything about audio or physical ads so you can easily work around it.

Big channels like linus are probably not going to change since sponsors will probably pay google without problems.

I'm happy about this.

Although it didn't say anything about audio or physical ads so you can easily work around it.

Big channels like linus are probably not going to change since sponsors will probably pay google without problems.

But will Corsair, Intel, Lynda, SquareSpace actually pay them? Look at how many places these companies might sponsor. Will they actually fork over MORE money? Google is double dipping in this scenario, the sponsors might just walk away OR resort to amusing workarounds like having company logos as wallpapers in the background or something else. 

But will Corsair, Intel, Lynda, SquareSpace actually pay them? Look at how many places these companies might sponsor. Will they actually fork over MORE money? Google is double dipping in this scenario, the sponsors might just walk away OR resort to amusing workarounds like having company logos as wallpapers in the background or something else. 

On Linus' channel we'll probably to see less ads, but they are not going away completely, and to be honest I think there isn't going to be a lot of difference.

Small channels will get hurt a lot though.

Is it really double dipping when Linus is getting free advertising on the platform Google runs with their own servers? Linus already makes money off the AdSense ads at the beginning of the video, then he's also bypassing the 40% (or is it 45%?) fee Google takes. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief here, Linus isn't God and he CAN make mistakes/do wrong.

Google doesn't HAVE to give the creator ANY money from the ads they already run. The creators do use a ton of server space, which costs Google money. But they are generous and pay you to use their free (read: they never make money off you) platform.

I've always found ads inside videos SUPER annoying and unprofessional, so good riddance. There's always the "donate" button too.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Wait, people bash on Linus for his video ads until Google says there can't be any more in Linus's videos, then everyone hates Google and reminisces about CES intro ads and Dollar Shave Club?

What the actual heck?

The less ads the better, I say.

I actually enjoy Linus' ads because he advertises stuff in a good way and it's usually something that I might actually consider buying

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

This isn't really a problem, just use Adblock.

That just doesn't make sense.

Interested in Business and Technology

I actually enjoy Linus' ads because he advertises stuff in a good way and it's usually something that I might actually consider buying

Except CES, they just spammed videos, and a good part of those videos were ads.

One of the few times were I used adblock on Linus' channel.

@LinusTech, if these rules become too "intrusive" with respect to your ad income and sponsorships with other companies, would you take a serious look at perhaps moving to another platform (Vimeo, maybe Twitch itself?) or would you have to "suck it up" and contend with the fact that for now, YouTube is the most required evil you have?

Linus is very famous now, I think he could convince someone like Kim DotCom to create a new video sharing platform.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

of all the things they could have milked more money .... 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

@LinusTech I hope you'll cover this during the WAN show, because as of now it's all very confusing what is actually going to happen and how it'll impact Youtube channels like LTT.

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

@LinusTech I hope you'll cover this during the WAN show, because as of now it's all very confusing what is actually going to happen and how it'll impact Youtube channels like LTT.

Not much, less revenue that's all.

The sponsor wants to have a title card before the video with their brand name and product information. Is this ok?

We allow text-only title cards where there is Paid Product Placement for the purpose of paid product disclosure only. Graphical title cards, including the use of sponsor logos and product branding, are prohibited unless there is a full Google media buyout on the Partner content by the sponsor. You can contact your Partner Manager for more information and assistance.

Interested in Business and Technology

Hang on, if this change was made last year then doesn't that mean @LinusTech has been in breach for months?

I really hope they don't crush the little guy with this.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Is it really double dipping when Linus is getting free advertising on the platform Google runs with their own servers? Linus already makes money off the AdSense ads at the beginning of the video, then he's also bypassing the 40% (or is it 45%?) fee Google takes. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief here, Linus isn't God and he CAN make mistakes/do wrong.

Google doesn't HAVE to give the creator ANY money from the ads they already run. The creators do use a ton of server space, which costs Google money. But they are generous and pay you to use their free (read: they never make money off you) platform.

I've always found ads inside videos SUPER annoying and unprofessional, so good riddance. There's always the "donate" button too.

well if there is no ads on the video there is no video at all ......

well if there is no ads on the video there is no video at all ......

There are, at the beginning of the video.

I would argue that YouTube has every right to claim some of the add revenue from the video considering the ads are still hosted on their service. It costs them money to support this content and if they don't make money off the video then they actually loose money on it. Not very much at all, but that's how it works.

Remember that they don't share mobile revenue which is a very large portion of ad revenue from Google ads. So they should pay up too if they want to be "fair" and claim their money.

Remember that they don't share mobile revenue which is a very large portion of ad revenue from Google ads. So they should pay up too if they want to be "fair" and claim their money.

I wasn't aware of that. Why did you put the word fair in quotation marks? I never used that word in my post.

I'm also wondering if this is going to affect the "sponsored by Intel" banner they have in place at the moment...

Thats my youtube magic actions extension's volume overlay doesnt work anymore since 2 days ago,makes sense.

Noticed that too. Gosh darnit.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

That's fucked up..... This may be the beginning of a series of decisions by Google that makes content creators begin to migrate platforms.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|