linus is the biggest hypocrite on earth

Ashley MLP Fangirl

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

She/Her

Apple computers aren't like other computers. They are designed for a different audience. If you spend 20k on a car that could drive 10 people comfortably to a destination then its pretty nice. If you buy a car that costs 20k but it can only drive you to your destination its a waste of money.

a couple notes

they don't work in final cut, so they don't have a benefit from apple's software

you're comparing a single workstation to a 6-10 man one

sponsors paid part of both of those projects

except for the dual mi60 gpu, there's nothing special for him to find in it

i don't share your view in any way here, even if i think the machine has it's worth, i don't think there's any for him here

3 minutes ago, Twilight said:

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you

Or maybe you should get your head out of your rear-end and realize that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't have any use for a $20K Mac Pro.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

You know he gets his graphic cards for free right?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Or maybe you should get your head out of your rear-end and realize that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't have any use for a $20K Mac Pro.

that's not the point at all. 

She/Her

7 minutes ago, Twilight said:

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable?

when he was likely given the parts from the manufactures or already had the parts in their stockpile? no

Apple wouldn't just give away a full Mac Pro

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Twilight said:

that's not the point at all. 

Of course it is. He's not dissing on the Mac Pro just because it's a Mac, he's going to return it because he doesn't have enough use for it to justify paying for it. Most of the other expensive setups he makes? Many of the parts used in those are sponsored, the Mac isn't!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

a) Not the biggest hypocrite on earth by a long shot.

b) Not even hypocritical. For starters this isn’t even his official content on the Mac Pro, it’s just discussion before the content is even produced. Second, different contexts, the $100000 PC was largely sponsored and he did do a live stream or talked about in the WAN show where he talked about the insanity of the cost, but that was a passion project. He loves building PCs (he’s literally made a business out of it ), spending $20k on a prebuilt is against everything he stands for (exaggerating for humour?) and would be incredibly uncomfortable - but it’s no reflection on the machine. Just having $20k sunk into a machine you have a tight deadline to use be is an uncomfortable situation.

His early impressions of the Mac Pro so far are all positive, and he gets plenty of flack for going easy on Apple. The fact he gets so much flack from each side is a fairly good indicator he’s fairly balanced.

Apple stuff is probably far less subsidised than all the other builds, it’s probably the ones that cost the channel the most.

I would also prefer not to bring it into my environment if it does not add a benefit.

Gather a bit more info from us here and from the videos about how LMG makes money, then come back with an well supported opinion.

We are not flat out saying you are wrong, we just think you need to do a bit more research and bring evidence as what we have doesn’t support your point.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Also 10 gamers one CPU is basically 10 whole computers. The new Mac is just one.

You're off base here, not that I need to hammer that home more than anyone else has.

Putting aside the fact that other builds were sponsored and LMG didn't come out of pocket for those projects, I doubt the ROI on making Mac Pro videos  would pay for them keeping it. They have purchased Macs for when they needed them like their Mac Mini ingest station. And above all else, nothing says they need to be fair and balanced. No one is.

He pieced those other machines together with parts that were sent to him, sponsored, or from parts he had on-hand.  He could also then disassemble those machines which can be thought of as returning the Mac Pro for a refund.  That Mac they had to purchase and isn't worth its own value in parts.  

You not being able to see the differences between the machines you're comparing isn't on Linus -- it's on you.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

50 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Apple wouldn't just give away a full Mac Pro

They did - to "Tech" reviewers that have no understanding of tech.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Apple is a lifestyle ecosystem, they want their consumers to believe in the illusion that is the Great Apple, the more magic it appears.. the better! (Update: just watched some of the wan show and Linus calls them them the special magical apple @14:20 which is what I was expecting to be said at some point  lol) 

They don't want anyone looking behind the curtain 

Perhaps Linus and Apple have lots in common

Treating Apple as something else entirely works in Apples favour as it adds to the  mystique ... which is really a big chunk of Apples branding strategy  

3 minutes ago, pigspigs76 said:

Apple is a lifestyle ecosystem, they want their consumers to believe in the illusion that is the Great Apple, the more magic is appears.. the better lol 

Isn't it what a cult is?...

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

5 minutes ago, Vishera said:

An iMac or a PowerMac would be cult, nowadays Apple is just lifestyle.

7 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Lol well it's just utilizing principles that have been discovered through academic research by our reveared institutions of authority .. silicon valley 

Cults have been doing this for thousands of years intuitively. Apple is doing this based on 'market research' , industry trends ect ... But this can all be extrapolated to older iterations like the Rajneesh movement in Oregon which is basically Apple if it were a community with a physical location 

6 minutes ago, pigspigs76 said:

Lol well it's just utilizing principles that have been discovered through acedemic research 

Cults have been doing this for thousands of years intuitively. Apple is doing this based on 'market research' , industry trends ect ... But this can all be extrapolated to older iterations like the Rajneesh movement in Oregon which is basically Apple if it were a community with a physical location 

The location of the community is mainly in the digital world - Apple forums,fan made forums and more.

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The location of the community is mainly in the digital world - Apple forums,fan made forums and more.

Indeed we are in the 21st century ... Although I would wager the total square footage of apple stores outweighs the majority of cult headquarters lol 

1280px-Apple_Computer_Logo_rainbow.svg.png

LAMLOGO.jpg

1 minute ago, pigspigs76 said:

Indeed we are in the 21st century ... Although I would wager the total square footage of apple stores outweighs the majority of cult headquarters lol 

Spoiler

1280px-Apple_Computer_Logo_rainbow.svg.png

LAMLOGO.jpg

Well,It's a bigger cult so the HQ has to be bigger.

1 hour ago, Twilight said:

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

Well where to begin. 20k on the Mac Pro probably does make him feel uncomfortable especially with his previous experiences with apple products. 

As to the other machines he makes. Yes they might be in the same ballpark in price, but they are NOT in the same ballpark when it comes to power and use. Having 10 people game on 1 machine is much more effiecient than 1 person on 1 machine which is all you have on the mac pro. The same goes for the 6 editors 1 pc scenario. You cannot do that on the MAC so you would need to spend 6x as much for 6x the users.

He does work with expensive stuff all the time, but he gets more mileage out of those products compared to the apple system. They aren't as limited and locked down to the apple ecosystem and allow for some very creative uses. You get much more value out of a system you can fully utilize. So have 6 or 10 people on one machine keeping it at high utilization is much better than having one expensive Mac pro that a single user cannot in most circumstance utilize to the full capabilities of the machine.

I don't see him as being a hypocrite. He just isn't on the apple bandwagon that so many are willing to jump on without seeing the truth behind apple.