linus is the biggest hypocrite on earth

Ashleyyyy
4 hours ago, aaradorn said:

Apple computers aren't like other computers. They are designed for a different audience. If you spend 20k on a car that could drive 10 people comfortably to a destination then its pretty nice. If you buy a car that costs 20k but it can only drive you to your destination its a waste of money.

Well that depends on your outlook. You can spend 20k on clothing for children in Africa, or spend 20k for clothing to make a hell of an appearance at a party. Or a solid gold toilet.

#Muricaparrotgang

10 Gamers 1 CPU wasn’t really something Linus was recommending people do. It was just a silly idea for some video content.

Haven’t watched WAN show yet but I bet Linus was speaking of the Mac Pro as something he/his company would buy and use. After all, it’s a professional workstation targeted at the sort of people doing video editing, among other users.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

Unless you're using very specific software that can only be run in OSX, the value proposition of a loaded Mac Pro goes out the window. You get better performance per dollar with available Windows hardware, and much better expandability and compatibility.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Well where to begin. 20k on the Mac Pro probably does make him feel uncomfortable especially with his previous experiences with apple products. 

As to the other machines he makes. Yes they might be in the same ballpark in price, but they are NOT in the same ballpark when it comes to power and use. Having 10 people game on 1 machine is much more effiecient than 1 person on 1 machine which is all you have on the mac pro. The same goes for the 6 editors 1 pc scenario. You cannot do that on the MAC so you would need to spend 6x as much for 6x the users.

He does work with expensive stuff all the time, but he gets more mileage out of those products compared to the apple system. They aren't as limited and locked down to the apple ecosystem and allow for some very creative uses. You get much more value out of a system you can fully utilize. So have 6 or 10 people on one machine keeping it at high utilization is much better than having one expensive Mac pro that a single user cannot in most circumstance utilize to the full capabilities of the machine.

I don't see him as being a hypocrite. He just isn't on the apple bandwagon that so many are willing to jump on without seeing the truth behind apple.

I don't think it has anything to do with Macs being "limited and locked down."  It's that the Mac Pro is a professional workstation for the kind of people who edit 8K video, produce major artist albums and run science models.  Linus would have no more use for a Dell Precision workstation than he would a Mac Pro.

Also, it's not that Linus is some enlightened person who's not "on the Apple bandwagon."  It's that he's a quintessential Windows PC enthusiast, the sort who's happy to spend hours building and tweaking a gaming rig and bristles at the thought of any platform he can't heavily customize.  That's fine, but his general disinclination toward Apple gear is not some definitive pronouncement on the Mac Pro (or MacBook Pro, or iPhone, or...).

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

Everything about your argument is just idiotic.

Buying something for 20k that has very limited use in his situation is in no way shape or form the same as spending that much on a project that he can actually use for virtually everything he does. The Mac Pro is a horrible horrible value for anyone who doesnt need to use apple specific software. Eap considering hackintosh setups have gotten very very easy to do. 

Id feel uncomfortable spending 100k on a nice car. Because a car has only one basic use for me that can be done by many other cheaper cars. And no car lasts forever. A 100k car isnt going to last any longer then a 30k car.

But i wouldnt feel uncomfortable spending 100k on a nice home and land. Because that home and land has much more use and more then likely will increase in value. And outside of a horrific event its never going to just go away.

Your coming off as an apple fanboy thats just trying to find a reason to bitch.

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

drama sells so they have to produce some buzz around the videos, trying something new.

he is uncomfortable because he knows its not a product most of his audience can afford.

there is a worry of alienating his audience.  in addition it doesnt provide the best technology (or really any new technology) compared to whats been out there in the pc world for many years.

the only news is apple decided to refresh its products, but it doesnt give much choice in customization and it doesnt even give options for the best products in the given price range.

apple is using AMD cards, that can be easily beaten by NVIDIA

apple is using intel workstation xeons, that can easily be beaten by AMD Threadrippers or EPYCS much cheaper.

he is uncomfortable spending that money and having an investment in a product that is inferior and doesnt provide value. the people who will buy this product wont listen to him or anyone else for that matter. they will buy the product because its the only apple product for their workflow and they have an investment into the ecosystem of apple software.

perhaps he doesnt have the same investment in the apple ecosystem. he has the option to choose the best components and technology for his employees.

be nice to see linus' inventory, whats on hand

whats the inventory program he uses, is everything categorized, including telephones, shelving, chairs

does lmg use any apple products at all on a day to day basis

whats the apple pc going to exactly do

is apple even relevant

13 hours ago, Twilight said:

Hypothetically 10 gamers 1 CPU is a frugal option if it costs less than 10 individual gaming rigs. Also it's a showpiece for what technology is capable of and what the channel is known for. A Mac pro is just a really expensive computer that they nickel and dime you for everything because they know that the target demographic doesn't give a fuck about cost.

You can't compare builds made through contributions from sponsors to a computer that they have to buy out of pocket.

Also, the parts from the builds you mentioned can be reused in other projects, the mac pro can't. The number of people working for LMG who really need macOS as part of their workflow already have imacs or mac minis, the mac pro would be overkill and a waste of money/investment. 

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

who really need macOS as part of their workflow already have imacs or mac minis

what work is that over non mac?

1 hour ago, tech.guru said:

he is uncomfortable because he knows its not a product most of his audience can afford.

Or wants, because contrary to some opinions, apple is really only favorable to those who already use apple specific software.  

1 hour ago, tech.guru said:

there is a worry of alienating his audience.  in addition it doesnt provide the best technology (or really any new technology) compared to whats been out there in the pc world for many years.

the only news is apple decided to refresh its products, but it doesnt give much choice in customization and it doesnt even give options for the best products in the given price range.

apple is using AMD cards, that can be easily beaten by NVIDIA

apple is using intel workstation xeons, that can easily be beaten by AMD Threadrippers or EPYCS much cheaper.

he is uncomfortable spending that money and having an investment in a product that is inferior and doesnt provide value. the people who will buy this product wont listen to him or anyone else for that matter. they will buy the product because its the only apple product for their workflow and they have an investment into the ecosystem of apple software.

perhaps he doesnt have the same investment in the apple ecosystem. he has the option to choose the best components and technology for his employees.

I imagine just reviewing and making videos on a product you and most of your fan base are not interested in and  barely have much use for in day to day life is tedious.   Any other reason for not liking it is just on top of that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Commodus said:

I don't think it has anything to do with Macs being "limited and locked down."  It's that the Mac Pro is a professional workstation for the kind of people who edit 8K video, produce major artist albums and run science models.  Linus would have no more use for a Dell Precision workstation than he would a Mac Pro.

Also, it's not that Linus is some enlightened person who's not "on the Apple bandwagon."  It's that he's a quintessential Windows PC enthusiast, the sort who's happy to spend hours building and tweaking a gaming rig and bristles at the thought of any platform he can't heavily customize.  That's fine, but his general disinclination toward Apple gear is not some definitive pronouncement on the Mac Pro (or MacBook Pro, or iPhone, or...).

Uh... LTT videos are filmed with 8k RED cameras, so they technically *would* have a use case for a Mac Pro-like workstation.

It's probably that they already have enough rigs with 8k editing capabilities.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned yet, but any non-Apple PC can use off the shelf parts, reducing the cost of the initial investment and making it more viable since he can resell the parts after the project or simply keep them in stock for other projects/uses.

The Mac Pro can be resold, sure, at a loss, but the parts aren't transferable or reusable. Anyone who works with PCs knows how valuable this is.

5 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

Uh... LTT videos are filmed with 8k RED cameras, so they technically *would* have a use case for a Mac Pro-like workstation.

That cost 10% of what the inferiorly specced Mac Pro does.

17 minutes ago, realpetertdm said:

LTT already have iMac mini and iMac pro, so no point using the more expensive Mac pro. 

Marques are fine with this because he is using it, but not linus.

Just now, JustWantTech said:

LTT already have iMac mini and iMac pro, so no point using the more expensive Mac pro. 

Marques are fine with this because he is using it, but not linus.

IIRC those aren't LTT's main editing rigs, they use windows machines. But yeah, they have a Mac Pro and the clusterfuck of a mess that was Apple CS so no real reason to keep the Mac Pro anyway.

he's not a hypocrite for doing this, although its pretty rude to buy something with full intention on returning it. I wouldn't accept the refund if I was Apple. 

3 hours ago, floofer said:

he's not a hypocrite for doing this, although its pretty rude to buy something with full intention on returning it. I wouldn't accept the refund if I was Apple. 

not really its apple who unlike other companies do not send out the products for review. its not his fault.  he doesnt want the product other than to review it. why would he keep it, if its not useful for his business?

what would not accepting the return accomplish? all his other parts were sent by manufacturers for review,

apple is getting free advertising from one of the most popular tech reviewers. if the product is good, linus recommendation and advertisement may help with the product sales. though i expect some of the devout apple fanboys will buy anything with an apple logo regardless of the product or price point.

usually companies who release mediocre products are the ones that dont send products for review. apple might just not want the scrutiny prior to release as i expect the performance will be underwhelming considering the price point.

we will have to wait to see

52 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

apple is getting free advertising from one of the most popular tech reviewers.

They don't need it, The vast majority of the 3% who buy mac pro's don't watch tech youtube or read reviews.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The vast majority of the 3% who buy mac pro's don't watch tech youtube or read reviews.

They might watch something by MKBHD since he is mainstream enough to have traction in those circles but in general I agree.

It's more likely that someone who is working for the people who need that mac watches the video :D

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

2 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

It's more likely that someone who is working for the people who need that mac watches the video :D

If I were that person I would just feel sorry for them.   I mean really, it's bad enough that work flow gets somewhat locked to either AMD or NVIDIA for acceleration,  without being locked to a whole brand because of a software decision you made three obsolete replacements ago.

They do treat Apple computers like any other computer they review. I do believe he said that the Macbook he recently reviewed got his stamp of approval, no?

As has already been said, they don't use Apple in their work flow...it's a huge expense that has absolutely no use to them. With other builds they do (that are sponsored, so the cost is minimal) they can at least tear them down and reuse the parts for something else. You can't do that with the Mac.

Your complaint is completely illogical, and poorly thought out.

Stop being a white knight for Apple, they don't need you.

19 hours ago, aaradorn said:

Apple computers aren't like other computers. They are designed for a different audience. If you spend 20k on a car that could drive 10 people comfortably to a destination then its pretty nice. If you buy a car that costs 20k but it can only drive you to your destination its a waste of money.

To be fair, not everyone wants to drive 10 people, and carrying a single person does the job just fine ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

48 minutes ago, dizmo said:

They do treat Apple computers like any other computer they review. I do believe he said that the Macbook he recently reviewed got his stamp of approval, no?

As has already been said, they don't use Apple in their work flow...it's a huge expense that has absolutely no use to them. With other builds they do (that are sponsored, so the cost is minimal) they can at least tear them down and reuse the parts for something else. You can't do that with the Mac.

Your complaint is completely illogical, and poorly thought out.

Stop being a white knight for Apple, they don't need you.

To be fair, not everyone wants to drive 10 people, and carrying a single person does the job just fine ;)

It fully depends on the person. Linus is not one of those.

20 hours ago, Twilight said:

When Apple treats customers properly, offers repairs and spare parts, stops locking down hardware and software and gives up on the making key parts such as storage irreplacible, then they will deserve the same treatment as other manufacturers. I have no problem getting parts for my older Dell and HP machines, but I just paid way too much for a graphics card that's 14 years old just to test a Power Mac. It's not special, it's not magical, it's just an old piece of shit with custom firmware.

Even making the RAM a custom removable module would be a step up from soldering it down to the board. They're as bad as software locks in products like oscilloscopes. The same hardware sold for a few hundred, or a few thousand, the only difference is the software.