Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

moral law

Moral law means dick. All that matters is what the governemnt defines as theft. Also, as long as they are within the boundaries of the return polciy its good. SHIT working at Sams Club we have seen people return a 5 year old TV, because they were grandfathered in to the old return polcy. We accept it back without any questions. Because that is what the policy was at the time it was purchased. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 12/22/2019 at 3:21 AM, Twilight said:

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

How does it make him a hypocrite?

Those builds are sponsored and/or use review parts that they have lying around and are temporary builds. After the builds they get torn down and the parts put back into inventory. 

Apple doesnt give Linus anything, so he would have had to drop $20k of the business' money to film it....for which he might get maybe $20k in revenue between the videos, so its essentially lost revenue or even a loss, if he keeps the machine. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

*** Thread cleaned ***

Keep the discussion on topic. If you want to discuss about factory working conditions, do it in another thread and keeping it in line with our Community Standards:

• Generally speaking, as long as you stick to the following core principles you should not find yourself subject to disciplinary action:
  • Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.    
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, aaradorn said:

Apple computers aren't like other computers. They are designed for a different audience. If you spend 20k on a car that could drive 10 people comfortably to a destination then its pretty nice. If you buy a car that costs 20k but it can only drive you to your destination its a waste of money.

There are some pretty sweet sports cars that don't necessarily have any practical advantage over normal family vans you could get for the same price, yet I'd still have a sports car any day of the week. Considering that a waste of money is pretty subjective, but regardless - the price is the same, so I think it's not an unreasonable point to make.

50 minutes ago, Yeroh said:

There are some pretty sweet sports cars that don't necessarily have any practical advantage over normal family vans you could get for the same price, yet I'd still have a sports car any day of the week. Considering that a waste of money is pretty subjective, but regardless - the price is the same, so I think it's not an unreasonable point to make.

But you can only drive the sports car on approved roads and the wheel bearings are half the cost of the car for a set, which are only available from the manufacturer who won't sell them to anyone else.

Macs were special when they were Motorola 68000 based. That is when they got their reputation.

Anything interesting or special about them went away when they became Intel boxes.   

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

3 hours ago, Yeroh said:

It completely depends on what you are going to use it for.

19 hours ago, floofer said:

No obligation is not the same as their policy. I never said they wouldn't, I just said they shouldn't. 

well it literally says if you dont like the product you can return it and it seems like linus doesnt like it for how much it costs so it fits the policy. so why shouldn't they? and its not like its going to make apple go bankrupt it would maybe cost them like 10-20 dollars to pay an employee to check and rebox it so if you are really concerned about that maybe ask linus to send apple a 60 dollar gift card to olive garden 

Now is it even possible to set up multiple users on Mac Pro? Using Bootcamp or something similar?

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

15 hours ago, amdorintel said:

moral law

Unless they specify that theres need to be an issue with the product to return it then what moral law is he breaking?

Many retail stores have a return policy where if you dont like it you can return it in x amount of days. 

So morally theres nothing wrong with returning it. 

So just my small thing, didn't he just release a review of the new MacBook praising Apple for them starting to listen to their users? Like he seemed to enjoy it pretty well minus his very few criticisms of Apple. 

He is entirely fair to Apple in this video, praises them for making the changes that they did, so that would invalidate his "hate" for Apple. Plus I mean he's got some pretty legitimate reasons for the things he doesn't like about Apple. You know like the whole iMac Pro incident. Which I'm sure has left a pretty bad taste in his mouth.

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

3 hours ago, Yogi_DaBear221 said:

He is entirely fair to Apple in this video, praises them for making the changes that they did, so that would invalidate his "hate" for Apple. Plus I mean he's got some pretty legitimate reasons for the things he doesn't like about Apple. You know like the whole iMac Pro incident. Which I'm sure has left a pretty bad taste in his mouth.

If I crashed a brand new car into my wall, I'd expect to be greeted by a very happy service head at the dealer when I turn up with the thing and a blank cheque and say fix it.

1 minute ago, ELIOTRADI said:

is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

Thats the deal. Apple didnt send a review unit. Those crazy builds they do have sponsors, who send all the parts. They might spend a little here and there and use parts they already have. 

Also consider they are just doing benchmarks. They dont use Final Cut pro, as they dont use Macs for editing. It makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a machine you would never use, or use for its purpose. 

On 12/21/2019 at 6:21 AM, Twilight said:

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

Good points. But it's not about money, it's about value.  It's simply not worth 20K (to me or apparently Linus).  By that I mean, what would I do with it that I can't do with a 10K system as well or better?  It's "neat" - but that is about it.  Just being able to afford it doesn't mean it is worth it to someone. 

I have an old sportcar in the garage worth about the same amount that the Subaru in the driveway is worth.  For giggles, lets say 20K.  The sportcar will do 0-60 mph in under 4 seconds and tops out at around 195 mph.  The Subaru...well...doesn't. Which do you think is the better value?

The Subaru, because it is not 20 years old, gets slightly better mileage, costs less to insure, and doesn't eat clutches at 3 grand each.  It can also hold 5 people instead of 2 and a half.  Now that other car has other values to me.  But for most folks, it really doesn't

For me, there are also other issues with Apple as a company - but that's a different conversation.  There are many reasons you could call Linus a hypocrite probably and maybe be close to the mark - this isn't one of them.

14 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

well it literally says if you dont like the product you can return it and it seems like linus doesnt like it for how much it costs so it fits the policy. so why shouldn't they? and its not like its going to make apple go bankrupt it would maybe cost them like 10-20 dollars to pay an employee to check and rebox it so if you are really concerned about that maybe ask linus to send apple a 60 dollar gift card to olive garden 

You cannot do that in pretty much any western country with consumer laws. And it most certainly wouldn't be worth the lawsuit or publicity for a large corporate like Apple to do it. 

They'd have to sell it under their refurbished program, so they actually potentially lose thousands of dollars on it. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

5 hours ago, Jarsky said:

They'd have to sell it under their refurbished program, so they actually potentially lose thousands of dollars on it. 

The only reason I don't like people buying stuff they intend to return after using it is because it pushes the cost of products up for everyone.

Besides all that, has Linus actually said that's what he is doing or has he clarified?  I haven't read the thread fully.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

You cannot do that in pretty much any western country with consumer laws. And it most certainly wouldn't be worth the lawsuit or publicity for a large corporate like Apple to do it. 

welp if they didnt want that then they shouldnt have had the dissatisfied return policy. and linus is clearly dissatisfied with the mac pro or else he would keep it

11 hours ago, mr moose said:

Besides all that, has Linus actually said that's what he is doing or has he clarified?  I haven't read the thread fully.

He said something along the lines of "I want to make as many tests/videos as we can within the 15 day period so that I can return it afterwards" on the wan show.

Edit: here's the timestamped video.

9 hours ago, Jarsky said:

You cannot do that in pretty much any western country with consumer laws.  

I tried to search for that particular law in the US and Canada, no such laws exist.

Maybe I miss something.

11 hours ago, Jarsky said:

You cannot do that in pretty much any western country with consumer laws.

Do what... Seriously I am not following...?

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Get a product, use it for 15 days then return it bc you don't like it

Well in that case... the poster would be obviously wrong. 

All sales are final unless specified otherwise (in which case they're not final) ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

All sales are final unless specified otherwise (in which case they're not final) ;)

Most retailers have a return policy. Where you can return a product within a ceritan time period. In some cases a restock fee might be charged. But Ive seen retailers have a no questions asked return policy. Walmart is one, Sam's Club is another. They dont care why you reutrn, as long as the product is not damaged. Retailers generally make returns as easy as possible. Because you dont want to piss off your customers in this day and age. Not with the internet, Facebook and Youtube that can serrously tank your reputation. 

@Donut417 that's exactly what I said ("unless specified otherwise") 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

As a Mac user and an iPhone user and someone who also uses PC’s often. It’s just a preference/use case choice. They are just tools. They are just a computer. If you don’t want one or need one, don’t buy one. 

For me it’s not about the device, it’s about what I create with the device. I just like the ecosystem that Apple offers. Everything talks to each other which is awesome for me. Also being able to make a phone call from my computer is great! 

Full disclosure I do not play video games anymore.