linus is the biggest hypocrite on earth

Ashleyyyy
21 hours ago, Twilight said:

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

If you don't admit to how anti-consumer Apple is then there's really nothing to be further said to you is there.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

If I were that person I would just feel sorry for them.   I mean really, it's bad enough that work flow gets somewhat locked to either AMD or NVIDIA for acceleration,  without being locked to a whole brand because of a software decision you made three obsolete replacements ago.

It's a locked platform because apple signed exclusivity deals on Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs,those deals get them CPUs and GPUs for much cheaper than MSRP.

In the past apple had an exclusivity deal with IBM - something they later regretted doing,and now history repeats itself with the Intel exclusivity deal.

First IBM stopped being competitive,now Intel,apple didn't learn from their mistakes of the past and still limit their platform.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

2 hours ago, Curious Pineapple said:

When Apple treats customers properly, offers repairs and spare parts, stops locking down hardware and software and gives up on the making key parts such as storage irreplacible, then they will deserve the same treatment as other manufacturers. I have no problem getting parts for my older Dell and HP machines, but I just paid way too much for a graphics card that's 14 years old just to test a Power Mac. It's not special, it's not magical, it's just an old piece of shit with custom firmware.

Even making the RAM a custom removable module would be a step up from soldering it down to the board. They're as bad as software locks in products like oscilloscopes. The same hardware sold for a few hundred, or a few thousand, the only difference is the software.

Are you sure?,Try replacing the SSD with the new T2 security chip,the mac will stop working.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Is Linus really serious when he says he is going to return it within the two weeks?

That's too bad but I understand why. The machine wouldn't benefit his operation very much compared to what they already have.

Also, please excuse my EG doppelganger.

46 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Are you sure?,Try replacing the SSD with the new T2 security chip,the mac will stop working.

Won't be long before you need to swear allegance to the mighty glowing Apple once a day otherwise the machine will just self terminate.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, Twilight said:

now tell me this, when linus makes a 10 gamers 1 cpu machine, does that make him uncomfortable? or a 6 editors 1 pc system? is it just because apple refuses to send you a machine that you feel uncomfortable?

Well yes, it makes him uncomfortable when it's money out of his pocket. I don't see the contradiction ?

On 12/21/2019 at 3:21 PM, Twilight said:

because it seems that way to me. you work with much much much more expensive stuff all the time, but only apple's system makes you feel uncomfortable while it costs less than the 2 systems i just listed, by a long shot. 

It's not that he's uncomfortable handling expensive stuff, he's uncomfortable when he's risking his own money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/21/2019 at 9:26 AM, aaradorn said:

Apple computers aren't like other computers. They are designed for a different audience. If you spend 20k on a car that could drive 10 people comfortably to a destination then its pretty nice. If you buy a car that costs 20k but it can only drive you to your destination its a waste of money.

apple computers are the same as other computers, its the same manufacturers making the parts (intel, amd etc) as DELL and other OEM there is nothing magical about an apple.

there is no point for abstract arguments and analogies that apple fans like to use. the fact is apple charges a premium for its name and brand which is fine. there is nothing wrong with this, but lets not pretend apple has value over a regular pc.

PC has low margin sales, and its really a volume play for most OEM. There really isnt that much markup in alot of vendors.

Apple was able to convince some people of its "premium" hardware and mark up its price but in reality its the same hardware in any other PC. you just need to look at many tear down of the PC.

Im not saying apple is a bad product, its just is over priced in my opinion. I also wouldnt want to be locked into a hardware vendor to run a piece of software.

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

It's a locked platform because apple signed exclusivity deals on Intel CPUs and AMD GPUs,those deals get them CPUs and GPUs for much cheaper than MSRP.

In the past apple had an exclusivity deal with IBM - something they later regretted doing,and now history repeats itself with the Intel exclusivity deal.

First IBM stopped being competitive,now Intel,apple didn't learn from their mistakes of the past and still limit their platform.

I wouldnt say its deal with intel is bad. Esp for their laptops. Intel are still the king of mobile.

Not to mention they know that the products are going to sale anyway. If you need mac os you as long as the hardware is fast enough uou dont care if its intel or amd. 

So its a win win for them. They get a better deal for parts and the consumer base will buy the products.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgTIFaY4jevho-az3Y5CT

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

9 hours ago, tech.guru said:

not really its apple who unlike other companies do not send out the products for review. its not his fault.  he doesnt want the product other than to review it. why would he keep it, if its not useful for his business?

what would not accepting the return accomplish? all his other parts were sent by manufacturers for review,

apple is getting free advertising from one of the most popular tech reviewers. if the product is good, linus recommendation and advertisement may help with the product sales. though i expect some of the devout apple fanboys will buy anything with an apple logo regardless of the product or price point.

usually companies who release mediocre products are the ones that dont send products for review. apple might just not want the scrutiny prior to release as i expect the performance will be underwhelming considering the price point.

we will have to wait to see

Apple did send them out for review, just not to Linus. Apple have no obligation to accept a return for change of mind, only if the product is faulty or does not work as intended. 

3 hours ago, Bitter said:

accidental drops.

who says they are accidental

i bet they are on purpose, to create a buzz for his followers

4 hours ago, Princess Twilight Sparkle said:

Is Linus really serious when he says he is going to return it within the two weeks?

yeah i bet he is, basically scamming the system to gain profit. make profit from the review of the product then just return it.

On 12/21/2019 at 3:26 PM, WereCatf said:

Or maybe you should get your head out of your rear-end and realize that maybe, just maybe, he doesn't have any use for a $20K Mac Pro.

So, wouldn't it be more fair if he said HE doesn't feel comfortable using one because he doesn't benefit from it instead of generalizing it like no one needs it? Coz clearly people who do use software for Mac feel they are worth it from productivity standpoint, not just as a fancy brand name box?

42 minutes ago, floofer said:

Apple did send them out for review, just not to Linus. Apple have no obligation to accept a return for change of mind, only if the product is faulty or does not work as intended. 

except their return policy.... states what they will accept returns within 15 days.  there is that small fact.

did you even read the return policy? where did you come up with your statement?

We fundamentally believe you will be thrilled with the products you purchase from the Apple Store. That’s because we go out of our way to ensure that they’re designed and built to be just what you need. We understand, however, that sometimes a product may not be what you expected it to be. In that unlikely event, we invite you to review the following terms related to returning a product.

For any undamaged product, simply return it with its included accessories and packaging along with the original receipt (or gift receipt) within 15 days of the date you receive the product, and we’ll exchange it or offer a refund based upon the original payment method. 

see, https://www.apple.com/ca/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_ca.html

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

except their return policy.... states what they will accept returns within 15 days.  there is that small fact. did you even read the return policy or you stating your opinion as fact regardless of reality????

see, https://www.apple.com/ca/legal/sales-support/sales-policies/retail_ca.html

No obligation is not the same as their policy. I never said they wouldn't, I just said they shouldn't. 

19 minutes ago, floofer said:

No obligation is not the same as their policy. I never said they wouldn't, I just said they shouldn't. 

legal obligations vary state to state and province to province and I would be careful making such blanket statements unless you are a lawyer.

Linus is in B.C and would be bound by the provincial and federal laws.

According to buyer protection associations, there is no laws that specifically deal with refunds in his province from what i can tell https://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/consumer-help/want-to-return-something-you-bought/

others consumers residence for place of purchase may have different consumer protection laws. Regardless, unless you are a lawyer (I am not) then each person should research their own consumer right laws for there area.

you be surprised how much they vary from place to place. regardless the contract at the place of purchase would outline the return policy and apple would have to honour it and as it states he has 15 days to return.

15 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

So, wouldn't it be more fair if he said HE doesn't feel comfortable using one because he doesn't benefit from it instead of generalizing it like no one needs it?

I just watched the ~20 minutes where they talk about the new Mac and I couldn't find him saying such. Please, do link to the point where he does?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Intel are still the king of mobile.

What? In what way? Since Ryzen beats them in performance, battery life and price.

3 minutes ago, Ace2213 said:

What? In what way? Since Ryzen beats them in performance, battery life and price.

since when?

Maybe something has recently changed intel was still outperforming amd. not to say amd hasnt come a long way in that field.

I will have to look up a news article maybe a week ago i was reading about the performance difference between the amd surface book and the intel and it clearly showed intel was ahead.

4 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

i was reading about the performance difference between the amd surface book and the intel and it clearly showed intel was ahead.

The surface book is trash for different reasons. Here's a much better quick example, although there's many more on Amazon alone.

www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36
www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8265U-Keyboard-Fingerprint-A515-54-51DJ/dp/B07RF2123Z

2 minutes ago, Ace2213 said:

The surface book is trash for different reasons. Here's a much better quick example, although there's many more on Amazon alone.

www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36
www.amazon.com/Acer-i5-8265U-Keyboard-Fingerprint-A515-54-51DJ/dp/B07RF2123Z

I am confused what you are getting at here.

You linked 2 different laptops. one with a dual core and one with a quad core.

7 hours ago, Vishera said:

They haven't signed deals with either of them.  AMD are just bending over backwards for the sales and Intel doesn't care because it's just more sales.  When I said locked in I was specifically talking about people who decided to make final cut pro their workflow choice.  

Also, Intel have not stopped being competitive.  They just don't have the crown product right now, which is a different thing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

They haven't signed deals with either of them.  AMD are just bending over backwards for the sales and Intel doesn't care because it's just more sales.  When I said locked in I was specifically talking about people who decided to make final cut pro their workflow choice.  

Also, Intel have not stopped being competitive.  They just don't have the crown product right now, which is a different thing.

This.

Intel might not be in the best place right now but they arent in a place where they need to worry about going under. They trade the crown back and fourth which works out great for us.

It always confuses me when fanboys want the competitor to die. The only thing keeping a company somewhat honest is competition. If Intel were to die AMD would start fucking us raw on a daily basis. They dont care about us they care about their shareholders and their profits.

On 12/21/2019 at 9:21 AM, Twilight said:

In the latest WAN show he says that spending $20K on a Mac Pro makes him extremely uncomfortable, and that he's trying to make as much content as possible in a short period of time so he can return it. 

please stop being a hypocrite and treat apple computers just like any other computer you cover, thank you. 

Most of the crazy builds are sponsored. The fact that he bought the Mac would imply Apple did not send a review unit. There is your diffrence. When your not spending the money you tend to no be uncomfortable. There is also the fact they had a horrible expirence with Apple support. Remember when the 5K IMac had an issue? They agreeed to pay for the damage they caused but Apple refused to repair the machine. So yeah, Id be a little uncomfortable doing spending that kind of money on a product that the manufucutre is known to screw over customers and provide piss poor help. Its diffrent when you only spending a few grand, but when you got $20K invested, you kinda want a sure thing. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.