Intel Xe confirmed to trace rays

Fasauceome

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/intel-xe-gpu-supports-ray-tracing/amp/

Intel has just announced something pretty big at FMX in Germany: that their Xe GPU architecture will support hardware acceleration of Ray tracing

Yep, saw the title of the article and thought "oh here we go another rumor" and while those are fun and all to speculate, this is concrete. 

Intel also talked about the rendering performance of its processors at FMX but that is something that is just an iterative improvement and not something as revolutionary as an Xe datacenter GPU with hardware acceleration for Ray tracing. Now considering the company was talking about PIXAR and the likes I am going to assume the ray tracing implementation features a very high and close to 100% rate of accuracy

I think a need for 100% accurate ray tracing isn't the concern, any ray tracing capability on consumer hardware is pretty awesome, even non real time. They of course did go with a fun pun:

Establishing the Intel® Graphics and Visualization Institutes of XeLLENCE (Intel® GVI) 

So maybe ray tracing is the new hotness, if it is I'm glad my titan can do playable framerates in RTX demos.

I also posted a topic a couple days ago about possible technologies that may have culminated to Intel's new graphics technologies, maybe there are yet more facets that factor into it:

Edited by fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Given that hardware accelerated ray tracing, if distilled, is basically a hardware tree traversing accelerator, including it in a processor meant for data centers makes sense.

But then again I don't know what the organization of most of that stuff is.

29 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

any ray tracing capability on consumer hardware is pretty awesome, even non real time.

We already have that, if you don't care about real time you can just run it via software on your CPU

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

5 minutes ago, Sauron said:

We already have that, if you don't care about real time you can just run it via software on your CPU

same thing with video editing, a CPU can do it but if a graphics card can accelerate it even faster, and time is money but you can't afford an Enterprise solution, then it's going to be pretty great of an advancement

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

speed is the point. I mean my 1060 6gb laptop can do RT, just takes a whole night for a single 4K frame.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Some guy was showing perfectly playable Battlefield V on GTX 1060 using DXR. I've ran few benchmarks and tech demos on GTX 1080 and it was usable. Given hardware without any dedicated capability can run it so well, any with dedicated will do it far better. Would be nice if more game devs would start using DXR so we can actually use it even on cards that don't specifically accelerate it. And when we'll have cards that can do that full speed, games will already support it. Coz selection of games with it is still absolute garbage...

If that leak on the GPU inside the PS5 by someone working at a gaming company was correct, that means all three will have a hardware raytrace solution.

15 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

same thing with video editing, a CPU can do it but if a graphics card can accelerate it even faster, and time is money but you can't afford an Enterprise solution, then it's going to be pretty great of an advancement

Yes, I know, which is why you want it to be as close as real time as possible. I would consider 1 fps to be real time by the way.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

4 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

If that leak on the GPU inside the PS5 by someone working at a gaming company was correct, that means all three will have a hardware raytrace solution.

The way it was worded did not confirm the PS5 has hardware accelerated ray tracing, only that it supports ray tracing. Any DX12 compatible GPU can run DXR, with or without hardware ray tracing acceleration.

I'm hoping it'll ray trace pretty well. I don't really care too much about gaming use of ray tracing, but I'm eager to see how ray tracing acceleration will aid in previewing 3D model renders (I think Vray is working on incorporating the tech for previewing)

I'm curious to see what this GPU turns out to be like.

1 hour ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

The way it was worded did not confirm the PS5 has hardware accelerated ray tracing, only that it supports ray tracing. Any DX12 compatible GPU can run DXR, with or without hardware ray tracing acceleration.

Boon Potter tweeted "Hardware ray tracing. That is all.". There was a follow up tweet which was much more mealymouthed, true, however it then doesn't make sense that a developer would be using raytracing in a running game unless it was hardware based or AMD has managed to produce some secret sauce in which software raytracing becomes ridiculously more efficient.

13 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Boon Potter tweeted "Hardware ray tracing. That is all.". There was a follow up tweet which was much more mealymouthed, true, however it then doesn't make sense that a developer would be using raytracing in a running game unless it was hardware based or AMD has managed to produce some secret sauce in which software raytracing becomes ridiculously more efficient.

Which is why we're all curious what sort of trick Crytek pulled when they showcased their Noir demo, while claiming it ran on a Vega 56. If what they said was true, then ray tracing, at least for high quality reflections, is possible at the performance console developers are fine with without dedicated ray tracing hardware.

EDIT: Even then, Battlefield V running on a GTX 1080 at 1080p with DXR settings "Low" and the rest of the settings on "High" gives me about 40-60FPS. And looking at some DXR settings comparison videos, I don't think it gets significantly better.

8 hours ago, fasauceome said:

So maybe ray tracing is the new hotness,

The only people who haven't noticed every tech company and their dog getting excited about RT were the AMD fanboys who assumed it was an NVIDIA specific technology and were too busy trying to fight about it rather than read the articles.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nobody:

Intel: We're introducing raytracing with our new Xe line-up!

This week I'm going to build a tracing box | Threadless

My childhood: Heck yeah!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Will be exciting to see what intel brings to the GPU market. Hopefully give Nvidia some competition!

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

The only people who haven't noticed every tech company and their dog getting excited about RT were the AMD fanboys who assumed it was an NVIDIA specific technology and were too busy trying to fight about it rather than read the articles.

The problem was, until NVIDIA released DXR capable drivers for Pascal range, it was so niche it didn't even matter. Now that Pascal can use it, it at least makes some sense given it's actually playable even on HW not designed for it. The problem is still that hardly any game is supporting it. BF V is one of rare that does, Metro Exodus is on EGS so I couldn't care any less and I'm not sure if the new Tomb Raider has it yet...

The future with RT will be nice, but at the moment there was just too much hype with very little substance. And it'll probably stay this way for quite some time I think.

8 hours ago, TrigrH said:

inb4 intel Xe is on 14nm, time to call it Intel Xd.

Isn't most of the non Intel 7nm and 10nm more marketing terms than straight 7nm and 10nm?

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

Well to be fair... I wouldn't get to excited about Ray tracing just yet ether.
Only a few games support it (What 2? 3?), and when a good chunk of games actually do start supporting it, I'm going to guess that the RTX 2060-2080 are not going to be relevant anymore, or that the newer and cheaper cards are gonna out perform them.

Its like how I seem to recall the first 4K TV came out in 2013, and there was no 4K media at the time. If you bought it purely because it was 4K, you were quite the fool. Cause when 4K content actually started coming out, the newest high end TV was better, and it turns out you weren't even fully compatible because your TV didn't have an HEVC decoder. - Also I think the very first 4K TVs didn't even have HDMI 2.0, which came out only 3 months later! Your 4K options were more limited then had you just waited.

Point being: 1st Gen products are usually completely outclassed by the time their shiny new feature is actually relevant. Buy the product for it's other merits, not because its the first to do something.

Read the title as "tray race"

That would be some GPU.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, Sparviero said:

Isn't most of the non Intel 7nm and 10nm more marketing terms than straight 7nm and 10nm?

All nm nomenclature is marketing when used by itself. It’s the density that makes Intel 14nm different from other 14nm processes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

The problem was, until NVIDIA released DXR capable drivers for Pascal range, it was so niche it didn't even matter. Now that Pascal can use it, it at least makes some sense given it's actually playable even on HW not designed for it. The problem is still that hardly any game is supporting it. BF V is one of rare that does, Metro Exodus is on EGS so I couldn't care any less and I'm not sure if the new Tomb Raider has it yet...

The future with RT will be nice, but at the moment there was just too much hype with very little substance. And it'll probably stay this way for quite some time I think.

6 hours ago, Sypran said:

Well to be fair... I wouldn't get to excited about Ray tracing just yet ether.
Only a few games support it (What 2? 3?), and when a good chunk of games actually do start supporting it, I'm going to guess that the RTX 2060-2080 are not going to be relevant anymore, or that the newer and cheaper cards are gonna out perform them.

Its like how I seem to recall the first 4K TV came out in 2013, and there was no 4K media at the time. If you bought it purely because it was 4K, you were quite the fool. Cause when 4K content actually started coming out, the newest high end TV was better, and it turns out you weren't even fully compatible because your TV didn't have an HEVC decoder. - Also I think the very first 4K TVs didn't even have HDMI 2.0, which came out only 3 months later! Your 4K options were more limited then had you just waited.

Point being: 1st Gen products are usually completely outclassed by the time their shiny new feature is actually relevant. Buy the product for it's other merits, not because its the first to do something.

I guess this holds true then:

16 hours ago, mr moose said:

Especially the bit in bold.   The fact of the matter is the whole industry is moving in that direction and some people were just upset that Nvidia made the first domestic move.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No, we were just upset because they made so much noise and delivered none of it. I still stand by my words that 3 titles in what's now almost a full year is just sad and pathetic.

33 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

No, we were just upset because they made so much noise and delivered none of it. I still stand by my words that 3 titles in what's now almost a full year is just sad and pathetic.

?

This is just how it works, it always takes ages to see the wide adoption of new tech in games. I mean how many years now have DX12/Vulkan been out? And it's still rare to see games using either API. Tessellation took ages to become commonplace too.

Dell S2721DGF - RTX 3070 XC3 - i5 12600K