AMD Delays Navi to Q4 2019

Orcblood

Well AMDers looks like we have to wait even longer than originally planned. Instead of a summer of 2019 Navi launch it's looking, according to techpowerup's source, that it will come out no sooner than October of 2019!  I bet this is due to either one or both of the following possible conditions. Either TSMC can't allocate AMD enough fabrication resources as it has other clients other than AMD (example: Apple, Nvidia, etc...) so AMD has to pick between Zen 2 or Navi which would be an easy choice of Zen 2 (Zen 2 more likely to make AMD more money), and or it's the fact Navi drivers are simple not going to be ready in time. 

It was originally slated to launch mid-2019, with probable unveiling on the sidelines of Computex (early-June). Cowcotland reports that AMD has delayed its plans to launch "Navi" all the way to October (Q4-2019). The delay probably has something to do with AMD's 7 nm foundry allocation for the year. 

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/252382/no-amd-radeon-navi-before-october-report

Edit: Okay for those saying it never was planned for summer 2019 and thus the use of the word "delay" is inaccurate. Google: "Navi June or July". 

I had a lmgtfy comment about this down in this thread to not only help explain fast (as I had limited time at the time of posting), but with proof to the first individual that questioned this fact and anyone else who ends up questioning later. It however got removed cause lmgtfy links are not allowed according to the rules. So hopefully this google search suggestion helps clear things up. Have a pleasant one :)

Honestly though the main take away from this post isn't so much the word delay but the fact Navi is now planned for Q4 2019. Put's to rest any earlier facts or rumors about a release date beforehand and helps those interested think and plan ahead what this means for them. 

I thought it was supposed to launch in 2H 2019? If that's the case this isn't really a delay, just more specific.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

7 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

I thought it was supposed to launch in 2H 2019? If that's the case this isn't really a delay, just more specific.

Idk. I just remember hearing rumors of June or July. And the source states it as a delay. Very disappointing but I rather AMD not rush like they seem to have done with Radeon VII.

At least this gives them more time to iron out driver bugs with Gamer's Nexus for the next product launch

<laugh track plays in the background>

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 minutes ago, Orcblood said:

I just remember hearing rumors of June or July.

Pretty sure that was Zen 2.

My Rig:

-i7 7700k @ 4.8 Ghz, delid

-ASRock Z270-ITX/ac mobo 

-16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3000Mhz

-RX 580 Sapphire Nitro+

-240 AIO, Celsius S24

-Crucial MX300 525GB, 2TB HDD

-Fractal Design Define Nano S

-650 80+ Gold semi modular from EVGA

-1080p 75Hz dell monitor

We can be pretty sure the integrated graphics solutions on the rumored G versions of the Ryzen 3000 CPUs is not gonna be Navi then. Actually, I had a feeling it was gonna be more Vega.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Questionable. The normal rumor mill has had nothing on this, so we'll have to wait until the information floats out. AMD should have new Navi parts coming out in October, but that would be part of their normal release cycle after a launch earlier. AMD's normal release cycle starts in Summer for GPUs, so something being delayed 2 months from August wouldn't be unheard of. However, no one else has heard it yet.

Navi was already re-taped and should be in production. 7nm production capacity should be available as both apple and huawei lowered orders

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

The Rumor Mill said it was planned next Month but had to be retaped, wich means around 3 Months, so summer was their guess.

The Question right now is:
a) what Navi Part is coming in Q4?? As we know, AMD is alredy working on two. A mid range Gamng Part and a lower end one.

b) is that FUD from AMD to  tell the competition that nothing will happen in the next 6 Months??

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I wonder what will come first Navi or Windows October Update.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I don't buy the drivers not ready thing. If this is true the lack of fab time is a much more believable reason.

Well if it is delayed until October then they better give us the whole Navi lineup, I mean including high end. Previously there were rumours that 2019 Navi is only midrange and that high end will have to wait until 2020.

Had a huge argument with people that we won't see navi until Q4 at the earliest like a week ago and people said I was dumb and crazy. I guess my prediction was spot on. It was pretty easy to see if you just look at the information they had released about navi vs ryzen 3000. 

57 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The Rumor Mill said it was planned next Month but had to be retaped, wich means around 3 Months, so summer was their guess.

a) what Navi Part is coming in Q4?? As we know, AMD is alredy working on two. A mid range Gamng Part and a lower end one.

b) is that FUD from AMD to  tell the competition that nothing will happen in the next 6 Months??

I guess I'm not crazy now when I said Q4 at the earliest. 

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

It could be the lower end part was pushed back a month. We've been expecting July/August anyway, especially after no CES reveal. Rumors can be true but meaningless. Or 75% correct. Because 10nm is dead; long live 10nm!

drivers are shit im sick of drivers issues, is this hell ever going to end with some new smart engineering that doesnt require so much GPU driver development? why cant they reuse code each gpu needs years to mature drivers, ridiculous something is not right in the world of GPU drivers and i dont know what exactly, maybe its the fact that driver devs have to fix shit games on windows, what about small games that dont ever receive driver support they work just fine out of the box why they work but AAA games not?

12 minutes ago, yian88 said:

drivers are shit im sick of drivers issues, is this hell ever going to end with some new smart engineering that doesnt require so much GPU driver development? why cant they reuse code each gpu needs years to mature drivers, ridiculous something is not right in the world of GPU drivers and i dont know what exactly, maybe its the fact that driver devs have to fix shit games on windows, what about small games that dont ever receive driver support they work just fine out of the box why they work but AAA games not?

Don't take this as truth but I ,as a software developer, think it's cause when optimizing low level code in the case of drivers, the simplicity of abstraction is given up in place for specific and more complex code. The more unique code there is and the less use of abstraction the more chances that the developer(s) are going to break something. GPU driver developers are told to make things run better for a specific games (usually AAA titles) because the mass market for GPUs cares about high framrates alot and look to these games for performance stats. 

12 minutes ago, Tedny said:

June/July was rumor 

Yes. Why I said rumor. The source though that techpowerup quotes states it as a "delay". Acting as if it was fact to be released earlier. Also what I pointed out. Apply some reading comprehension me dude. ;)

13 minutes ago, Finwillwin said:

Goddamnit AMD, you're starting to slip.

"starting"

RTG slipped long ago

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Tbh I don't really have much hope for navi considering the underwhelming launch of both vega and vega 7, rumours are 50/50 on weather navi is gcn based, a lot of people won't like what Im about to say (including myself) but I don't think amd will be able to compete with nvidia until the arcitecture after navi or more likely the one after that- so at least another 2 and 1/2 years till then. If amd 7nm cpu's succseed and so does the last zen variant on am4, it will mean amd has enough money to develop another arcitecture on the gpu side, till then lets just hope they compete in some way.

Stock is still up almost 3% for a Friday of all things. 

I was expecting delays anyway. We don't see anything PCIE 4, hopefully Navi is PCIE 5 ?

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

2 minutes ago, THraShArD said:

Stock is still up almost 3% for a Friday of all things. 

I was expecting delays anyway. We don't see anything PCIE 4, hopefully Navi is PCIE 5 ?

PCIe gen 5 is years away for consumers hope its not PCIe 5, we don't need more delays.

I think it should be Gen 4 tho.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 hours ago, Orcblood said:

Idk. I just remember hearing rumors of June or July. And the source states it as a delay. Very disappointing but I rather AMD not rush like they seem to have done with Radeon VII.

Next major AMD event is Computex this summer.  We should be seeing several products this year

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/64479/amd-promises-more-radeon-products-2019-navi-coming-soon/index.html

CPU i7 4960x Ivy Bridge Extreme | 64GB Quad DDR-3 RAM | MBD Asus x79-Deluxe | RTX 2080 ti FE 11GB |
Thermaltake 850w PWS | ASUS ROG 27" IPS 1440p | | Win 7 pro x64 |

Blech. I really want to upgrade my GTX 970 but don't want to pay for the RTX garbage, and the rumored GTX 1660 Ti doesn't look like much of an upgrade for $280. God I hope Navi isn't a pos like Vega.

Why AMD ?

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE",by jayztwocents

I hope that navi will be actually worth it.

But 1 question , how nvidia beats amd (7nm) using a 12nm process 

how the hell can they do this ?

What is AMD doing wrong ?

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

2 hours ago, Void Master said:

Why AMD ?

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE",by jayztwocents

I hope that navi will be actually worth it.

But 1 question , how nvidia beats amd (7nm) using a 12nm process 

how the hell can they do this ?

What is AMD doing wrong ?

is quite simple amds max config has been 4 shader engines each with 16 compute units, to reach 64 compute units problem is that for gaming past 11 compute units per shader engine efficiency drops, so 64 compute units isn't a very efficient config, and because they haven't increased the number CUs since fiji (fury X) the only things bringing performance up are clock speeds and architecture efficiency advances. what is stopping them from adding more shader engines is their hardware scheduler which is a difficult block to change as its very complex as its the brain of the operation and its need to change to allow the support of those extra shader engines. they seem to be changing it slowly, so we might see a gcn card with more of them one day (the last chance is probably big navi as after that it wont be gcn anymore)