Fortnite mobile beginning to hurt the school system

Eduard the weeb
1 hour ago, Ashiella said:

Is Pubg finally optimized? Fortnite has went from 80fps on max settings, to 120fps on max, to 150fps on max, I'm playing with shadows off now and a few other things, now I get 180-200fps with everything maxed but Shadows and Extra's with my cpu bottlenecking my gpu to about 90% usage. Unlike pubg which last I tried (beta before 1.0) I got a stuttery 40fps with a stock 5820k and a 970 at minimum settings 1080p

PUBG will never run as well as Fortnite. And it isn't completely PUBG Corp's fault. There are instances where they have assets of the UE4 store that were meant to be maps used as a single building such as the one warehouse near Mylta Power and that is their fault but gunplay, looting system map size all are far more demanding than Fortnites system. The simplicity of Fortnite, the fact that it has been in development for over 2x longer than PUBG and is made by the people who made UE4.  
Though, PUBG has always been getting optimizations. Almost every update involves minor optimizations. Server or client side, the game for the most part is quite smooth now.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

This is so easy to stop with a smart network policy...

Like, ban any device from joining the network that isn't school approved and block the port(s) required to start a game. Also, ban the IPs of the servers. 

And the problem goes away with a few ACLs and some Mac filtering.

We were playing squads in the cafe at lunch and it was noticeably slower to do anything else, but considering at least 50 people on the school network were either playing Fortnite, PUBG mobile or snapchatting its no wonder xD  

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, descendency said:

This is so easy to stop with a smart network policy...

Like, ban any device from joining the network that isn't school approved and block the port(s) required to start a game. Also, ban the IPs of the servers. 

And the problem goes away with a few ACLs and some Mac filtering.

Most schools have a network for school devices and a network for student devices.

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

17 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Though a faraday cage built into the classroom is not an active jammer, soo...

But expensive AF, its way cheaper to put every phone into the drawer before class... :D (If you can do it that is, we never gave up our phones in school...)

2 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

But expensive AF, its way cheaper to put every phone into the drawer before class... :D (If you can do it that is, we never gave up our phones in school...)

With the amount phones are used for class activities its not a very efficient system, and I know lots of times where having my phone on me has been very helpful.

Spoiler

AXIOM

7 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Way more difficult to enforce however, unless you desire to pass everyone though a metal detector to determine whether or not they have a phone (some rare students may not have a phone), and then confiscate them 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

21 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Same thing happened with Clash of Clans back in 2014. Nothing new here really.

the guy who came setup our fiber late last year made a phone call to a guy.. and talked to him in the strangest way.

I asked about it... he said he plays clash of clans religiously and is in a group of about 20 people who've invested $100's if not $1000's into it and they all play it constantly. 

I was shocked. Grown man with two kids.. throwing all his fun money (or more than just that) into a stupid mobile game. 

But yeah... hyped games tend to take poeples attention from everything else. especially kids.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

sooo... teachers don't confiscate toys anymore?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

sooo... teachers don't confiscate toys anymore?

Children and teens are too entitled these days. Civil rights or some s#it. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I saw this coming, I already had a kid drop out of my school mainly to ‘play more fortnite’

he was probably gonna drop out anyways, but still.

8 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Well School is a private ground and as long the students got informed i dont think its illegal.....

Here in the US jamming of any wireless signal is illegal. A guy in New York I think got visited by the FCC after his Bit Coin miner started interfering with T Mobiles network. A guy in Florida a few years back got a $30,000 fine from the FCC for owning and operating a cell jammer. The only forces in the country that can jam wireless signals is the US Military and Law Enforcement. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 3/24/2018 at 4:29 PM, yian88 said:

Well people wanted freedom right? there you go the downsides that come with freedom.

There is no way to discipline kids without an authoritarian system that ignores careless parents and disciplines kids and bans all phones and games and social media.

Would you be willing to give up some freedoms to gain discipline?

I guess you never opened the spoiler box? Or you just didn't get the joke? o.O

It's ok everyone! Calm down, Epic is here to save the school children.

Fortnite Mobile WARNING: New deterrent for iOS and future Android fans

The development team’s latest warning has nothing to do with fake games or scams being pushed on those waiting to download it.

In fact, Epic Games have launched a new in-game message that’s meant for one specific group of players.

Fortnite Mobile on iOS now includes a new warning listed when players are waiting to load in, and is something that’s very important.

A new page has been added to the game via it’s latest update which requests school children not to start playing while in class.

The warning reads: “Mr. Hillman says stop playing in class,” which also includes a Llama to provide some added colour.

This stems from a recent message posted on Reddit by a teacher who has seen his classes affected by the game’s popularity.

Because no one cares about your children more than a game developer lead with financial motivation heart fond appreciation for its player base.

Source: https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/939599/Fortnite-Mobile-warning-iOS-Android

On 3/24/2018 at 2:18 AM, Tsuki said:

this takes literally 30 seconds to fix for any IT admin with at least a week of experience in the industry.

Yep.  Not hard to do if you now the filtering commands.  Or heck, just put a block for those servers.

I was down range and we sometimes had to stop all forms of social media or video streaming at times when directed but keep other services up.  Takes like a minute or so to do.

Or MAC filtering, only allowed authorized school devices than make the devices run only authorized software.  One can even block .exe downloads onto those devices.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Just have competent teachers who don't let the kids play fortnite lol. How is this an issue? Does the school not know how to block games on their network?

On 3/24/2018 at 4:11 PM, DarkBlade2117 said:

PUBG will never run as well as Fortnite. And it isn't completely PUBG Corp's fault. There are instances where they have assets of the UE4 store that were meant to be maps used as a single building such as the one warehouse near Mylta Power and that is their fault but gunplay, looting system map size all are far more demanding than Fortnites system. The simplicity of Fortnite, the fact that it has been in development for over 2x longer than PUBG and is made by the people who made UE4.  
Though, PUBG has always been getting optimizations. Almost every update involves minor optimizations. Server or client side, the game for the most part is quite smooth now.

Exactly! Pre-recent NVIDIA driver update, I got 60FPS 1440p max with my 1080, now I get 80 FPS Average. I find it astonishing that people don't realize/understand this. 

Watercooling Pro & Keyboard Enthusiast!

On 3/24/2018 at 1:58 PM, bcredeur97 said:

the guy who came setup our fiber late last year made a phone call to a guy.. and talked to him in the strangest way.

I asked about it... he said he plays clash of clans religiously and is in a group of about 20 people who've invested $100's if not $1000's into it and they all play it constantly. 

I was shocked. Grown man with two kids.. throwing all his fun money (or more than just that) into a stupid mobile game. 

But yeah... hyped games tend to take poeples attention from everything else. especially kids.

It's the way these developers build these mobile games. They're designed to be psychologically manipulative and addiction-inducing. It's akin to what slot machines and gambling in general does to some people.

In other news, water is wet and the sun is hot.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Get better firewalls and block it..... not hard. If they want to use up all their mobile data then go right ahead, pay for it.

I have configurations that put a stop to all mobile game apps just by blocking the ports used by the app

most modern Firewall devices like Fortigate which i am using for my customers is effective for blocking webpages, spam mail and game connections

unless the school IT team are just plain lazy. Pretty sure it just using wireshark

figuring out the ports used by Fortnite and PUBG mobile and block them

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

I have configurations that put a stop to all mobile game apps just by blocking the ports used by the app

most modern Firewall devices like Fortigate which i am using for my customers is effective for blocking webpages, spam mail and game connections

unless the school IT team are just plain lazy. Pretty sure it just using wireshark

figuring out the ports used by Fortnite and PUBG mobile and block them

With Fortigate and a tiny bit of actually giving a damn you can block things like Facebook chat without blocking Facebook completely, had to do this because some class thought it would be a good idea to use Facebook for teaching and the school used it for stuff too. I die a little inside every time a school starts to officially use Facebook.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

With Fortigate and a tiny bit of actually giving a damn you can block things like Facebook chat without blocking Facebook completely, had to do this because some class thought it would be a good idea to use Facebook for teaching and the school used it for stuff too. I die a little inside every time a school starts to officially use Facebook.

the Fortigate comminuty and forums are pretty helpful and give tips on what to use to block and set up the deny/allow rights.

usually our style is blanket ban everything and slowly put back rights for connection for Whatsapp because it an important commutation tool.

Most of the heavy bandwidth stuffs like Youtube are easily throttled to the point you cant watch the video on Wifi and force users to use 4G

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

26 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

the Fortigate comminuty and forums are pretty helpful and give tips on what to use to block and set up the deny/allow rights.

usually our style is blanket ban everything and slowly put back rights for connection for Whatsapp because it an important commutation tool.

Most of the heavy bandwidth stuffs like Youtube are easily throttled to the point you cant watch the video on Wifi and force users to use 4G

Most of the schools I've done wok for opt for black list approach rather than white list. What I basically get from this news story is actually this headline "Schools managed by under qualified and trained IT admins compounded by lack of school wide discipline".  Just can't see this happening at schools I've worked with.