PUBG creators are unhappy with Fortnite: Battle Royale, considering ‘further action’

Syntaxvgm

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/22/16349536/pubg-fortnite-battle-royale-battlegrounds

Earlier this week, Epic Games announced the PUBG-inspired, battle royale variant of Fortnite, its long-in-development sandbox survival game, would be released for free on consoles and PC next week. This development isn’t sitting well with the team at Bluehole, the developers of Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds, who use Epic’s Unreal Engine to power the early access megahit. A press release issued by Bluehole this morning suggests the team is contemplating “further action.”

“We’ve had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG’s development as they are the creators of UE4, the engine we licensed for the game,” Bluehole’s Chang Han Kim said in the press release. “After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known.

Yah know, I have to say, I've been watching people play PUBG a lot, but the one thing that stops me from buying PUBG is the creators are absolute...dick rags. 

They do mention PUBG and H1Z1 in this promotional Trailer

Here's the trailer for Fortnite Battle Royale

While it's an obvious grab at the fanbase, and a blatantly uninventive game....that's how gaming works. In fact, by the headline, I expected it to be one of those app store games that are literally a legally questionable blatant rips...like candy crush....which ripped candy swipe...a bejeweled rip...then sued the person they ripped, which was settled.

It doesn't even look like it plays similar , just rips the game mode blatantly. 

I mean if this were legally doable, we all know Nintendo would have sued Sony for PlayStation All Stars if they could have, even though it had 0 chance of being a successful game on account of the fact it was shit. 

I mean it's so obvious that there's nothing they can do about this one screenshot of the game should have been enough for Chang Han Kim  to be like "I should keep my fucking mouth shut, because all I'll do is give our game and team further bad PR and give this game more attention"

Be don't take my word for it, here's some posts from this /r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS topic

https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/71r773/bluehole_considering_taking_further_action_over/

If by "further action" they mean fixing their game and outcompeting Fortnite when they have a giant installbase advantage, then I'm all for it.

Exactly. PUBG is going to fail very soon if this is the road they are going to take. Their game is rife with bugs and yet they are making insane amounts of money and it feels like none of that is going into the game. Yes they are updating the game but I mean with the sheer amount of money they are making it's hard to believe how buggy this game still is. They have a right to be annoyed at the clones but it's not like PUBG was the first battle royale game out there, and now with this attitude that instead of being the best version of this game they are going to talk shit about other clones that's always been the telltale sign that a popular game is going to fall from its graces.

I'd prefer to see PUBG soar. I don't want to see it get replaced due to incompetence and maybe it won't. This is just a really bad sign. They are acting threatened by better developers making a better version of their game.

"We are concerned Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known."

I hope this guy isn't serious. Does he truly believe no one else is allowed to have a BR game?

Okay, the success has definitely gone to their heads.

In other news, Bluehole are greedy fucks. Stay tuned for more tonight at 11.

"We are concerned Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known."

I will be the first to report back if the game is riddled with bugs, performance issues, and lag while simultaneously having microtransactions and a premature e-sports tournament

if this is what your own fanbase thinks, maybe you should reconsider your PR strategy. 

Best part? Epic own the rights to PUBG's engine. It's been mentioned that it's likely in the contract that Epic can revoke these rights. 

Not likely, but yah know. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Family friendly felix PUBG? 

free? #want. 

I heard about PUBG's devs have gone back on a lot of things like microtransactions. 

I don't see how a company could be disdained about being #1 on steamcharts, and twitch for like 4 months making bank then call out another company for "plagerizing" their concept after doing it to a game (culling) that did it to another game (king of the kill) that did it to anther game (Arma 3 battle royal) that did it to a mod (DayZ battle royal game mode) that did it to a movie (hunger games) that did it to a book (hunger games book) that did it to a movie (battle royal)

Lol they don't own the BR genre lol. What then, H1Z1 run a case against them? Then ARMA BR is gonna be like hey wdf!? Then it's just going to go up the chain lol. Like what!? They just need to chill. Could you imagine if COD sued other ppl for making a FPS. All the older FPSs would be like "Yo wdf!? You copied us!". Dark Souls is a genre defining game, should they sue everyone they inspired? Monster Hunter is a genre defining game, should even they sue everyone as well? Pretty much any idea that's out there has spawned other ppls version of said idea.

Now to be clear, is there ever such a thing as a ripoff? Sure, but not this Fortnite game that threw in their own "BR mode" with their building engine lol.  

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

3 minutes ago, LtRavens said:

Lol they don't own the BR genre lol. What then, H1Z1 run a case against them? Then ARMA BR is gonna be like hey wdf!? Then it's just going to go up the chain lol. Like what!? They just need to chill. Could you imagine if COD sued other ppl for making a FPS. All the older FPSs would be like "Yo wdf!? You copied us!". Dark Souls is a genre defining game, should they sue everyone they inspired? Monster Hunter is a genre defining game, should even they sue everyone as well? Pretty much any idea that's out there has spawned other ppls version of said idea.

Now to be clear, is there ever such a thing as a ripoff? Sure, but not this Fortnite game that threw in their own "BR mode" with their building engine lol.  

According to gaming journalism, every game that is harder or even slightly more challenging than a series of quick time events is dark souls inspired.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I feel like society today falls into fads much too quickly. PUBG just needs to keep advancing with all of the cash they raked in or they'll suffer the fate of DayZ.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

According to gaming journalism, every game that is harder is dark souls inspired.  

The 90's should sue the 2010's for stealing difficulty.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

The 90's should sue the 2010's for stealing difficulty.

it's like battletoads but with an amazing trap ahead

muh specs 

All parts black

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BETAGROUNDS is a great game but geezus, H1Z1 came out before PUBG and I'm sure others existed before then....

Fortnite is a great game but this mode is obviously a grab at PUBG players who hate the PUBG lack of optimization. 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

why not go against rockstar?

oh right, they  have a humongous dick

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

why not go against rockstar?

oh right, they  have a humongous dick

They're not rockstar but I'm pretty sure if Epic wanted to they could make it so their farts no longer make a sound. 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

PLAYERUNKOWN'S BETAGROUNDS is a great game but geezus, H1Z1 came out before PUBG and I'm sure others existed before then....

There has to be at least one mod that exists based off Battle Royale or Hunger Games movies but ARMA/DayZ Battle Royale Mod was apparently created by PU and he helped out with H1Z1 somehow, probably as creative director.

Guy who stated that was a Korean Executive. I don't think he understands Western culture that well.

Ridiculous that Chang Han Kim would think that Battle Royale is now their genre and no one else can use it because PU decided to go with them to develop PUBG.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

Player unknown was the first to create the mode way back when. That is why the game was called players unknown battleground. I also believe that h1z1 licenced the game mode from player unknown so a lot of the arguments that they don't have a case may be a bit misguided.

"After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known."

Someone could make Counter-Strike by another name, with original code and graphical assets, and it would pass. Nothing they can do.

But if game genres were IPs, then Epic could probably sue PUBG devs for making their game based on the Last Man Standing game mode, which was in Epic's Unreal Tournament almost 2 decades ago.

http://unreal.wikia.com/wiki/Last_Man_Standing

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 hours ago, LtRavens said:

Well, PlayerUnknown (aka Brenden Greene) created the Arma BR mod, and was a big part of H1Z1 Battle royale.

But you're totally right. It's not an original idea. I've grown to strongly dislike him. After being a priss on Twitter, senseless bannings, tantrums, and lying; BlueHole and Brenden are the worse things for PUBG right now. 

I mean who makes a game about killing everyone, then throws a fit on twitter about "violence" as an excuse to ban people?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

34 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

They even quote this game mode in the trailer!

@Syntaxvgm it's not like they have their own building tech in game which is different from PUBG, and it's not like PUBG dev are crying because they know epic is better than them at making games and therefore will soon have something more polished than their own game.. which is why they whine

It's not because they executed the idea of a BR/last man standing very well they suddenly have the exclusive right to use the gamemode.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

well, there's jim sterling's video sorted for tomorrow

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-exec-clarifies-objection-to-fortnite-battle-royale-its-not-about-the-idea-itself-its-about-epic-games/

So, we just want to emphasize this only a problem because Epic Games is the company that makes the engine we use and we pay a large amount of royalties to them. And we had this business relationship and we had trust that we would be getting continued support, and we were looking forward to working more closely with them to get technical support, maybe develop new features. 

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

34 minutes ago, yuh25 said:

There are some valid concerns in there, and I hope Epic will respond to and give public assurances about some things. But, I don't agree with all that is said.

From that interview:

When they used your name, was that in official promotional materials?

Sammie Kang: It was in their promotional video that was posted on Twitter and they would openly mention that they were fans of PUBG, we wanted to make this battle royale game mode, and that kind of gave the impression that we were officially involved in this.

So they were giving the impression that you guys were on board and were a part of this, and in no way were you.

Sammie Kang: Right, and there were players like, "Oh it's cool, now we get to play PUBG in Fortnite", and there was nothing we could do about it, because it was depicted that we were officially involved.

No. Epic said nothing to give an impression that PUBG devs were involved with Fortnite Battle Royale. They only said they are fans of PUBG, which doesn't come close to insinuating or even sparking the idea of an official affiliation.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 hours ago, fpo said:

I don't see how a company could be disdained about being #1 on steamcharts, and twitch for like 4 months making bank then call out another company for "plagerizing" their concept after doing it to a game (culling) that did it to another game (king of the kill) that did it to anther game (Arma 3 battle royal) that did it to a mod (DayZ battle royal game mode) that did it to a movie (hunger games) that did it to a book (hunger games book) that did it to a movie (battle royal)

Sheesh, I'm getting dizzy just reading all that.

I like free shit. And PUBG is unplayable anyways due to piss poor optimization.

IMO Patents and crap like that are cancer designed to enforce monopoly. Very anti-consumer.

7 hours ago, fpo said:

Family friendly felix PUBG? 

free? #want. 

I heard about PUBG's devs have gone back on a lot of things like microtransactions. 

If you didn't know, the person that made Arma 2 and 3 Battlefield Royale mod is the same person that makes PUBG. PlayerUnknown.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking