AMD Threadripper confirmed to have 4 actual Zepplin dies.

S w a t s o n

So it appears that der8auer has just confirmed that the 2 extra "dummy dies" in Threadripper are not in fact just silicon spacers but disabled or at least non-functional Zeppelin dies that do contain transistors.

Personally, this didn't surprise me as this was my theory all along. Silicon and packaging aren't free and even though Zepplin die yield is supposed to be 80%+ it would still make sense to use real dies even if you have to disable working ones.

This also supports my theory that we might see a 32 core Threadripper down the line, I assume this will be slowly rolled out to compete with Intel's HCC/XCC core i9 chips.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

Dang 32c 64t, who needs intel

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

5 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

anyone who want their quad socket board that double threadrippers speeds I suppose.

Two of them look like "incomplete", like the last passages of chip making weren't completed

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

12 minutes ago, Swatson said:

So it appears that der8auer has just confirmed that the 2 extra "dummy dies" in Threadripper are not in fact just silicon spacers but disabled or at least non-functional Zeppelin dies that do contain transistors.

Personally, this didn't surprise me as this was my theory all along. Silicon and packaging aren't free and even though Zepplin die yield is supposed to be 80%+ it would still make sense to use real dies even if you have to disable working ones.

This also supports my theory that we might see a 32 core Threadripper down the line, I assume this will be slowly rolled out to compete with Intel's HCC/XCC core i9 chips.

6 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

32c will not happen.

AMD will not, should not sell a CPU with half it's cores with out a directly attached memory controller. It would be shooting them selves in the foot.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, pas008 said:

Wonder if these Will Be unlockable like many have speculated before

I doubt it. They most likely damage the dies to make them unusable. The ability to enable them in any way would prove dangerous to AMD's profits if someone did figure out how to

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

I doubt it. They most likely damage the dies to make them unusable. The ability to enable them in any way would prove dangerous to AMD's profits if someone did figure out how to

Didn't watch video and that's nonsense

Many amd products have been unlockable

2 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Didn't watch video and that's nonsense

Many amd products have been unlockable

No I didnt because I cant right now. But thats not non-sense since other chip makes will kill the extra dies and/or cores. Its more non-sense that you think you can just unlocked the dies and have an instant $500 Epic chip. 

15 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

No I didnt because I cant right now. But thats not non-sense since other chip makes will kill the extra dies and/or cores. Its more non-sense that you think you can just unlocked the dies and have an instant $500 Epic chip. 

Considering they said yields were great

And cheaper to make tr and epyc in one single design and make the socket disable half in not saying anything just it could be a possibility

And unlocking wasn't always guaranteed to have great results

Think it was pII 550 into pII into quad

Double the cores lol

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

anyone who want their quad socket board that double threadrippers speeds I suppose.

Or octo-socket cause who doesn't want 224 cores running at 3.2ghz and 18,432Gb of ram in one system.

3 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

And at over double the price I suppose

Yeah people buying quad socket boards aren't broke so cost isn't a consideration. A mere tax deductible business expense.

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

And this product on topic that could potentially have 32 cores is Threadripper instead of Epyc. X399 that has mobos made for consumers. Consumers take cost into consideration. Or are you just another AMD hater trying to make their products look bad by comparing with stuff that costs wayy more?

you should like , read the whole thread instead of skimming it

Very interesting video, it was to be expected however as AMD has a history of this in the past.

Maybe people can figure out how to unlock the additional 16 cores on the CPU if they are functional and not just ones which are failed.  I would imagine work to that end has already started based on the information in this video.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Just now, Falconevo said:

Very interesting video, it was to be expected however as AMD has a history of this in the past.

Maybe people can figure out how to unlock the additional 16 cores on the CPU if they are functional and not just ones which are failed.  I would imagine work to that end has already started based on the information in this video.

AMD has learned since k10 . It's unlikely that amd didn't laser off some sections . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

34 minutes ago, emosun said:

AMD is no longer supporting processors with more than a 2-Way configuration. 

2 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

AMD is no longer supporting processors with more than a 2-Way configuration. 

um , neato?

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Or octo-socket cause who doesn't want 224 cores running at 3.2ghz and 18,432Gb of ram in one system.

Or you know, buy a Xeon Phi and get 64 cores and 256 threads at 1.2GHz with LGA 3647.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

AMD has learned since k10 . It's unlikely that amd didn't laser off some sections . 

Pedantic, but you don't laser cut silicon anymore, you just fuse off whatever features you don't want enabled.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Just looking at the numbers, considering that the Zen die yields are over 80% and that Threadripper supposedly is binned from the top 5% of the yield, the other dies on the set are probably from the failed 20% in production...  AMD recycling program.

Haven't this been known for a while?

From what I recall, I watched der8auer's video and I believe the 2 dummy dies have no circuitry in them. They're there so that the surface area of the IHS is uniform.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Or you know, buy a Xeon Phi and get 64 cores and 256 threads at 1.2GHz with LGA 3647.

Xeon Phi processors are not scalable.