AMD Threadripper confirmed to have 4 actual Zepplin dies.

S w a t s o n

I'd expect they're defective dies. Also would be odd kinda to dilude TR and Epyc platform no. And not sure how supportive even more cores would be. 

I doubt they'll make that move. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, pas008 said:

Considering they said yields were great

And cheaper to make tr and epyc in one single design and make the socket disable half in not saying anything just it could be a possibility

And unlocking wasn't always guaranteed to have great results

Think it was pII 550 into pII into quad

Double the cores lol

That was the fun days.  Hehe, I remember buying a duo, but it was a locked down quad.  Was sweet unlocking it to quad by just switching one BIOS setting.  :D   You where not guaranteed two extra cores all the time though.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

10 hours ago, mariushm said:

Why cut dies out of a perfectly good wafer when you can just re-use dies that have failed binning (for example dies that can't even be sold as Ryzen 3 1200) ?

My guess is they're simply dies that have some critical errors like maybe several bad spots in the L3 cache memory (which would make them unable to get even 4 MB of  cache memory to sell these as Ryzen 3) or maybe some failure in the chip's ddr4 controller or other such critical points.

Well, it certainly makes sense to recycle failed dies for this purpose. However, there is no reason why dies will fail and succeed into different bins in the exact proportions needed for the intended supply.

In the limit, if we all decided to buy Threadripper and only Threadripper, either the failure rate is 50% or they would need to use nerfed working dies or some other spacer.

Perhaps the most concerning thing about all this is what Linus brought up on the WAN show.  It was fairly reasonable to assume someone would look into this sooner or later, and no one really cares that they're real cores that just don't work - it's a perfectly reasonable and common thing to do.

So AMD had absolutely no reason to lie about this, and yet, they did... why?  If they're willing to lie about such a stupid thing as this, imagine what important things they will lie about in the future.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Maybe they wanted to keep it a secret incase they could somehow activate them and thus catch Intel with their pants down? 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

On 9/16/2017 at 3:57 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

wow no shit its 4 dies, did anyone actiually think they would cut un-used silicon just for dummies?

Well apparently Linus did.

On 9/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Perhaps the most concerning thing about all this is what Linus brought up on the WAN show.  It was fairly reasonable to assume someone would look into this sooner or later, and no one really cares that they're real cores that just don't work - it's a perfectly reasonable and common thing to do.

So AMD had absolutely no reason to lie about this, and yet, they did... why?  If they're willing to lie about such a stupid thing as this, imagine what important things they will lie about in the future.

They never lied. They solely stated there's no working transistors on the spacer dies, probably because they fully burnt out faulty dies to use as spacers. I stated that this was almost certainly the case way back when even before derbauer did his first delidding of TR. Even at only 1 out of every 100 dies being unusable for any other form of Ryzen, they probably have enough supply for TR chips. Worst case scenario, they take the absolute worst of the 1200 dies and re-purpose them as spacers.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

Well apparently Linus did.

They never lied. They solely stated there's no working transistors on the spacer dies, probably because they fully burnt out faulty dies to use at spacers. I stated that this was almost certainly the case way back when even before derbauer did his first delidding of TR. Even at only 1 out of every 100 dies being unusable for any other form of Ryzen, they probably have enough supply for TR chips. Worst case scenario, they take the absolute worst of the 1200 dies and re-purpose them as spacers.

My understanding was that they had led us to believe they were basically just a block of metal.  I'd have to go back and read the original articles.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

My understanding was that they had led us to believe they were basically just a block of metal.  I'd have to go back and read the original articles.

Here's the quote from overclock3d: "These two extra dies are not active or even contain working transistors, they are blank and as such are not "wasted Ryzen CPU dies"" 

So no, they did NOT lie, they clearly said they did NOT have working transistors, 

They said Ryzen has 80% yields, I suspect they are using the 20% failed ones for here, it's their own waste recycling program. It's a win win. Hardly any money lost. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

Just now, Liltrekkie said:

Here's the quote from overclock3d: "These two extra dies are not active or even contain working transistors, they are blank and as such are not "wasted Ryzen CPU dies"" 

So no, they did NOT lie, they clearly said they did NOT have working transistors, 

They said Ryzen has 80% yields, I suspect they are using the 20% failed ones for here, it's their own waste recycling program. It's a win win. Hardly any money lost. 

"they are blank" and "[they are] not wasted Ryzen CPU dies" seems like it's pretty much exactly the opposite of what's been discovered.  They are not blanks, they have (failed) transistors, and these were obviously failed dies, unless AMD has taken up the hobby of printing failed transistor dies just for fun.

@Ryan_Vickers It's possible that blanks have been used in some production runs in the scenario that there are too few defunct dies to use as spacers. Or, AMD themselves never said that the die was blank.

Pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@Ryan_Vickers It's possible that blanks have been used in some production runs in the scenario that there are too few defunct dies to use as spacers. Or, AMD themselves never said that the die was blank.

Pyo.

Well apparently they did literally say "they are blank " :P

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

"they are blank" and "[they are] not wasted Ryzen CPU dies" seems like it's pretty much exactly the opposite of what's been discovered.  They are not blanks, they have (failed) transistors, and these were obviously failed dies, unless AMD has taken up the hobby of printing failed transistor dies just for fun.

I believe blank means something different in the CPU die business, I had a relative who made dies, for my birthday I was given a "blank" piece of silicon wafer, that was defective, but you could obviously see transistor imprints, when asked, she said that the term blank meant they never went through the transistor phase, but had transistor outlines and traces, but were found to be defective before transistors were put in. 

Now that was over 13 years ago, but it makes me wonder if a similar thing is happening here.Maybe blank to them isn't blank to us. Another technical term maybe?

Do you even fanboy bro?

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well apparently they did literally say "they are blank " :P

Without a link, and without desire to google or bing anything, I cannot verify if it was AMD saying that, or a reporter saying that on their behalf.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Liltrekkie said:

I believe blank means something different in the CPU die business, I had a relative who made dies, for my birthday I was given a "blank" piece of silicon wafer, that was defective, but you could obviously see transistor imprints, when asked, she said that the term blank meant they never went through the transistor phase, but had transistor outlines and traces, but were found to be defective before transistors were put in. 

Now that was over 13 years ago, but it makes me wonder if a similar thing is happening here.Maybe blank to them isn't blank to us. Another technical term maybe?

Perhaps.  That makes a lot of sense actually and could bridge the gap in explaining this dependency.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Perhaps.  That makes a lot of sense actually and could bridge the gap in explaining this dependency.

That was my thought, if it's true, AMD has made a very efficient product in terms of manufacturing and waste management. AMD absorbs the costing using those failed dies in TR. I have to admit thats a very clever solution if that's actually the case. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

1 minute ago, Liltrekkie said:

That was my thought, if it's true, AMD has made a very efficient product in terms of manufacturing and waste management. AMD absorbs the costing using those failed dies in TR. I have to admit thats a very clever solution if that's actually the case. 

If that is the case though, that probably should have been explained in more detail at the time, as it could have avoided this whole wave of confusion.  I am reminded of the Intel slides that said threadripper/ryzen is just "glued together" desktop dies and everyone took this to be an insult when in fact it may actually be a technical term.

On 9/15/2017 at 3:12 PM, Misanthrope said:

Not sure why they put modules that are basically off, maybe it has something to do with the interposer and getting all lanes? I.e. the core is defective to actually do calculations but it can still interconnect for the pci-e lanes and such.

Interesting question... It would be quite astounding if they found a way to have dead dies work in a "storage" format where it holds data for the other dies as needed. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

18 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If that is the case though, that probably should have been explained in more detail at the time, as it could have avoided this whole wave of confusion.  I am reminded of the Intel slides that said threadripper/ryzen is just "glued together" desktop dies and everyone took this to be an insult when in fact it may actually be a technical term.

True, not everyone knows all of the technical terms that's used by the engineers, and I have a felling that AMD knows this.  

Whether you believe that AMD was dishonest about the dies is up for debate, the fact is that AMD failed to properly explain themselves, and that led to misinformation being spread.

Could also be an insurance policy in the event that Intel engages AMD in a core count war. Intel wouldn't have 16C TR to beat, but the possibility of a 32C TR to contend with.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Could also be an insurance policy in the event that Intel engages AMD in a core count war. Intel wouldn't have 16C TR to beat, but the possibility of a 32C TR to contend with.

They already are at war, Intel 18 core is the first shot.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 hours ago, Liltrekkie said:

that seems plausible

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

No surprise that there might be a possibility of a 32 core Treadripper on the TR4 socket since the current 12 core and 16 core Treadripper are Binned parts of the Epyc CPUs

Sure the number of PCI-E lanes will have to be reduce from 128 to 64 lanes, but 64 lanes is way plenty for 3 to 4 way CrossFire GPUs and stupid amount of PCI-E based cards or NVME SSDs

RAM channels will have to be reduced from 8 to 4 channels. I don't think any consumer will have a need for 64GB of RAM on a workstation/desktop let alone 128GB.

Some other server grade features will need to be cut off as well like ECC memory support and dual socket support

if you do need multi socket support, then you should be using Epyc platform.

Power users like JaysTwoCent, Austin Evans, Bitwit and Paul will love all the 32 cores for video rendering at a lower cost which put all the Intel i9 and Xeons to shame.

Sure Ryzen and Treadripper still have teething issues with RAM support, give it 6 months to a year and you will see Ryzen CPU support 3200MHz and above.

Etching is the correct term here as it pretty much making an imprint of the tracers on the silicon die for the connections.

The reasons for which the die can fail include:

Imperfections present on raw initial silicon wafer (for example: too contaminated silicon crystal)

Imperfections added in the pre-production wafer's handling (for example: physical defects produced during native oxide etching)

Failures during active devices patterning (for example: insufficient/excessive doping, defects in insulation layers, improper alignment)

Failures during metals routing (for example: short/open circuits, disconnected vias)

There are two general factors which can lower the yield: overusing the thermal budget and failures in chemical reactions. The thermal budget is the amount of heat the die can be exposed to without being damaged (usually determined experimentally). I know nothing about chemical reactions, but I know that even slightest error in chemicals constitution can ruin not just a single die, but the entire batch.

It is very hard to obtain high yields in sub-micron processes, therefore Intel came with the "Copy-Exactly" strategy: all the controllable factors are the same across all its fabs. This ensures that once the primary fab gets to high yields, the secondary fabs will get there in the shortest possible time.

The yield numbers are trade secrets. However, it is widely known fact that it becomes more and more difficult to get high yields which more advanced technologies. The number of 60% yield seems too low to me - this might be an initial yield when the technology is not mature enough, but this is too low for large scale manufacturing.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

On 9/15/2017 at 9:24 AM, GatioH said:

So isn’t threadripper just EYPC with 2 dummy dies?

well not exactly, but Threadripper is based on EPYC.  I don't think AMD ever intended to make Threadripper until relatively recently.  EPYC has more PCIe lanes for starters, and other stuff too.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build