AMD Threadripper confirmed to have 4 actual Zepplin dies.

S w a t s o n
10 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

well not exactly, but Threadripper is based on EPYC.  I don't think AMD ever intended to make Threadripper until relatively recently.  EPYC has more PCIe lanes for starters, and other stuff too.

it is just Epyc but 2 active dies vs 4. the extra PCIe and RAM channels is because of the extra dies.

each Die can give 32 PCIe and 2 Channels of RAM.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

36 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

well not exactly, but Threadripper is based on EPYC.  I don't think AMD ever intended to make Threadripper until relatively recently.  EPYC has more PCIe lanes for starters, and other stuff too.

Each die has 2 ddr4 channels and 32 pci-e lanes, so an EPYC processor has 8 ddr4 channels and 128 pci-e lanes. 

In dual socket configurations, 64 pci-e lanes from each processor are used to exchange data between sockets, so in total you still have 64+64 = 128 pci-e lanes.

Threadripper has only 2 working dies, so you have 2 + 2 = 4 ddr4 channels  and 64 pci-e lanes, from which 4 pci-e lanes are used for  chipset connection, so you have 60 actual pci-e lanes going to slots and m.2 connectors and onboard 10 gbps lan if any and so on...