New York Police Department to replace 36,000 useless smartphones

captain_to_fire

Source: New York Post

It all started with my late night Reddit browsing today 

The NYPD has to scrap the 36,000 smartphones it gave cops over the past two years because they’re already obsolete and can’t be upgraded, The Post has learned.

The city bought Microsoft-based Nokia smartphones as part of a $160 million NYPD Mobility Initiative that Mayor Bill de Blasio touted as “a huge step into the 21st century.” But just months after the last phone was handed out, officials plan to begin replacing them all with brand-new iPhones by the end of the year, sources said.

The move follows Microsoft’s recent decision to stop supporting the operating system that runs the NYPD’s devices and nearly a dozen custom-engineered apps.

Not good for Microsoft's only large customer for Windows Phone when the NYPD ditched the platform but I think the NYPD is better off with iOS and Android. 

Law enforcement sources blamed the boondoggle on NYPD Deputy Commissioner for Information Technology Jessica Tisch, with one saying, “She drove the whole process.” “Nobody purchases 36,000 phones based on the judgment of one person,” a source said.

“I don’t care if you’re Jesus f- -king Christ, you get a panel of experts.”

Technology experts had long questioned the NYPD’s decision to choose Microsoft-based phones over those that run on Google’s Android software or Apple’s iOS. “The NYPD’s decision to go with Microsoft’s mobile operating system seems to confound more than a few, since Windows Phone’s 2.3 percent US market share is anemic when compared to Android’s 65.2 percent and iOS’s 30.9 percent,” read an article published on the tech news site Digital Trends in October.

I think the NYPD is better off to have their apps ported to either iOS or Android. 

The NYPD bought two models of Nokia phones: the Lumia 830, first released in October 2014, and the Lumia 640XL, which was rolled out in March 2015.

By comparison, Apple unveiled its iPhone 6 in September 2014 and has since updated its flagship product three times.

Despite the Microsoft phones’ short shelf life, they have been hailed by both NYPD brass and the rank and file for giving cops the ability to receive alerts, search law enforcement databases, file reports and even watch in real time as 911 dispatchers type up emergency calls.

An NYPD spokesman said the department wouldn’t discuss the cellphone situation until Tisch returned from vacation Monday.

Now, are those phones no longer supported by Microsoft because if I'm not mistaken, those phones will still receive updates. Basically, what the NYPD did is flog a dead horse. Microsoft tried but questionable business decisions finally lead to its demise. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Fix for dark theme users, please.

OT: This doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Windows Phone is a dead end.

Wow, that's like, cutting the WP marketshare by like 90% in some swoop lmao. jkjk

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

They should have a design contest, as to who can make the most feature packed and secure phone for the police department. I don't know, isn't that what car makers do in order to win a contract to build police cars? I mean, I doubt their Smartcar or Toyota Prius is the same as the civilian version. There must be more under that hood.

For start I say the phone need a ultra high-beam flash light, where it can read the house numbers at night.

Smart-Fortwo-NYPD-police-car-626x417.jpg

19303784582_0712233cb7.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

The city bought Microsoft-based Nokia smartphones as part of a $160 million NYPD Mobility Initiative that Mayor Bill de Blasio touted as “a huge step into the 21st century.” But just months after the last phone was handed out, officials plan to begin replacing them all with brand-new iPhones by the end of the year, sources said.

Found the problem.

1 hour ago, Billy_Mays said:

Rip New Yorks budget this year 

New York City's annual operating budget is over 80 billion dollars.  Unless a Windows Phone costs 2.2 million each, they're fine.

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

New York City's annual operating budget is over 80 billion dollars.  Unless a Windows Phone costs 2.2 million each, they're fine.

They're replacing the phones with iPhones tho, and, as we all know, iPhones aren't exactly cheap.

6 minutes ago, Daring said:

They're replacing the phones with iPhones tho, and, as we all know, iPhones aren't exactly cheap.

I'm sure there's some sort of negotiating going around.

Beats having Windows Phones around by a lot, though.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

29 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

O I didn't know it was that much that tells you how Canadians think about budgets

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Why?How can phones be obsolete for police?Smells like corruption to me, or maybe they are either idiots or swimming in money, it would be better to invest the money into something else.

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

New York City is big on blowing money towards useless shit.

I suppose iPhones are better than Trump recent  reauthorization of military equipment for cops. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Why do cops need iPhones though? What's next diamond encrusted guns? 

"Android" and "security" don't exactly co-exist, plus iPhones are supported for 5 years (iPhone 5S is still supported, for example). It was either stick to the useless, unsupported fleet of Windows Phones, or replace them with iPhones.

43 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

39 minutes ago, Daring said:

"Android" and "security" don't exactly co-exist, plus iPhones are supported for 5 years (iPhone 5S is still supported, for example). It was either stick to the useless, unsupported fleet of Windows Phones, or replace them with iPhones.

Apple also offers some VERY amazing Enterprise solutions for the iOS platform.  This isn't just 'A cop with an iPhone and some Apps' it's going to be an entire enterprise iOS solution with support infrastructure in the back end and everything.  Of of which Apple will offer extensive support of.

while i understand going to iOS for security sakes, but wouldn't it be better use of taxpayer funds to develop a custom fork of android just for LEA useage, and have it on devices for the entire country so all LEAs can have quick and secure access to all their databases, or for quick deployment, blackberry DTEK devices and have hire some kids out of uni to port their applications.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

38 minutes ago, Daring said:

26 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Apple also offers some VERY amazing Enterprise solutions for the iOS platform.  This isn't just 'A cop with an iPhone and some Apps' it's going to be an entire enterprise iOS solution with support infrastructure in the backed and everything.  Of of which Apple will offer extensive support of.

That seems a lot more reasonable. Though one would hope they can still get robust support and needed features with a bit of an older SKU like the 5S or 6 I guess we'll see.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, Billy_Mays said:

Rip New Yorks budget this year 

Honestly, rip New York's budget EVERY year. Blowing millions on dumb projects has been an ongoing trend for as long as I can remember

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Is this because Microsoft dropping support for all but a handful of devices, or is it because they are dropping support for non-UWP apps? If it's the latter then I think I was spot on with this post:

On 2017-04-05 at 9:02 AM, LAwLz said:

Since they used WP 8 they are probably heavily invested in app development for WP already, so it is not worth the switch. I doubt they moved to Windows 10 Mobile because they were happy with them and think it's a solid platform, and more to do with financial reasons such as having to redo apps and possibly heavy discounts from Microsoft.

It seems to me like, as soon as they had to redevelop their apps they decided to abandon WP.

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

The Swedish police switched over to iPhones like 1 or 2 years ago and from what I've heard it's been great.
For example, they have an app which scans and looks up registration plates on cars. They just need to photo the license plate and it will bring up useful information about the vehicle. The phones are also slowly phasing out things they used to do over the police radios.

@Daring remember this thread? Was looking for my old post and found a few of yours:

On 2017-04-04 at 9:24 PM, GoodBytes said:

New York City Police, and Hamburg, Germany police department have recently bought mass amount of Windows 10 Mobile phones for their fleet.

On 2017-04-04 at 10:47 PM, Daring said:

But how long until they ditch it?

On 2017-04-04 at 10:53 PM, GoodBytes said:

Well New York Police used to have Windows Phone 8, they now bought Windows 10 Mobile phone and expanded the program due the success, and police officers are happy with these phone. Police department could care less about Snapchat, that i can assure you.

On 2017-04-05 at 2:04 AM, Daring said:

But what happens when Microsoft inevitably cuts off support? We all know it's bound to happen eventually.

Quote of the year

“I don’t care if you’re Jesus f- -king Christ, you get a panel of experts.”

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

They need to get their custom apps redone though. That won't be cheap.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II