Microsoft showcases new Surface devices, Copliot+ PCs and a $350 keyboard, $450 with the pen

filpo
Posted (edited)

Summary

Yesterday Microsoft hosted an event showing off new Copilot+ PCs which they are claiming to be the fastest, most intelligent windows PCs ever built, new Surface devices being the Surface Laptop and Surface Pro, the latter of which is powered by Snapdragon X Elite and Plus processors. And finally, a $350 Keyboard. $450 if you want the pen included

Quotes

Copilot+ PCs, the specs and features

With powerful new silicon capable of an incredible 40+ TOPS (trillion operations per second), all-day battery life and access to the most advanced AI models, Copilot+ PCs will enable you to do things you can't on any other PC. Easily find and remember what you have seen in your PC with Recall, generate and refine AI images in near real-time directly on the device using Cocreator, and bridge language barriers with Live Captions, translating audio from 40+ languages into English.

We introduced an all-new system architecture to bring the power of the CPU, GPU, and now a new high performance Neural Processing Unit (NPU) together. Connected to and enhanced by the large language models (LLMs) running in our Azure Cloud in concert with small language models (SLMs), Copilot+ PCs can now achieve a level of performance never seen before. They are up to 20x more powerful and up to 100x as efficient for running AI workloads and deliver industry-leading AI acceleration. They outperform Apple's MacBook Air 15" by up to 58% in sustained multithreaded performance, all while delivering all-day battery life. With incredible efficiency, Copilot+ PCs can deliver up to 22 hours of local video playback or 15 hours of web browsing on a single charge. That is up to 20% more battery in local video playback than the MacBook Air 15".

Windows now has the best implementation of apps on the fastest chip, starting with Qualcomm. We now offer more native Arm 64 experiences than ever before, including our fastest implementation of Microsoft 365 apps like Teams, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, Excel, OneDrive and OneNote. Chrome, Spotify, Zoom, WhatsApp, Blender, Affinity Suite, DaVinci Resolve and many more now run natively on Arm to give you great performance with additional apps, like Slack, releasing later this year. In fact, 87% of the total app minutes people spend in apps today have native Arm versions. With a powerful new emulator, Prism, your apps run great, whether native or emulated.

The Copilot+ Laptops, coming June 18

• Acer: Acer's Swift 14 AI 2.5K touchscreen enables you to draw and edit your vision with greater accuracy and with color-accurate imagery. Launch and discover AI-enhanced features, like Acer PurifiedVoice 2.0 and Purified View, with a touch of the dedicated AcerSense button.

• ASUS: The ASUS Vivobook S 15 is a powerful device that brings AI experiences to life with its Snapdragon X Elite Platform and built-in Qualcomm AI. It boasts 40+ NPU TOPS, a dual-fan cooling system, and up to 1 TB of storage. Next-gen AI enhancements include Windows Studio effects v2 and ASUS AiSense camera, with presence-detection capabilities for Adaptive Dimming and Lock. Built for portability, it has an ultra-slim and light all-metal design, a high-capacity battery, and premium styling with a single-zone RGB backlit keyboard.

• Dell: Dell is launching five new Copilot+ PCs, including the XPS 13, Inspiron 14 Plus, Inspiron 14, Latitude 7455, and Latitude 5455, offering a range of consumer and commercial options that deliver groundbreaking battery life and unique AI experiences. The XPS 13 is powered by Snapdragon X Elite processors and features a premium, futuristic design, while the Latitude 7455 boasts a stunning QHD+ display and quad speakers with AI noise reduction. The Inspiron 14 and Inspiron 14 Plus feature a Snapdragon X Plus 1and are crafted with lightweight, low carbon aluminium and are energy efficient with EPEAT Gold rating.

• HP: HP's OmniBook X AI PC and HP EliteBook Ultra G1q AI PC with Snapdragon X Elite are slim and sleek designs, delivering advanced performance and mobility for a more personalized computing experience. Features include long-lasting battery life and AI-powered productivity tools, such as real-time transcription and meeting summaries. A 5MP camera with automatic framing and eye focus is supported by Poly Studio's crystal-clear audio for enhanced virtual interactions.

• Lenovo: Lenovo is launching two AI PCs: one built for consumers, Yoga Slim 7x, and one for commercial, ThinkPad T14s Gen 6. The Yoga Slim 7x brings efficiency for creatives, featuring a 14.5" touchscreen with 3K Dolby Vision and optimized power for 3D rendering and video editing. The T14s Gen 6 brings enterprise-level experiences and AI performance to your work tasks, with features including a webcam privacy shutter, Wi-Fi 7 connectivity and up to 64 GB RAM.

• Samsung: Samsung's new Galaxy Book4 Edge is ultra-thin and light, with a 3K resolution 2x AMOLED display and Wi-Fi 7 connectivity. It has a long-lasting battery that provides up to 22 hours of video playback, making it perfect for work or entertainment on the go.

The first Copilot+ PCs will launch with both the Snapdragon X Elite and Snapdragon X Plus processors and feature leading performance per watt thanks to the custom Qualcomm Oryon CPU, which delivers unrivaled performance and battery efficiency. Snapdragon X Series delivers 45 NPU TOPS all-in-one system on a chip (SoC). The premium integrated Qualcomm Adreno GPU delivers stunning graphics for immersive entertainment. We look forward to expanding through deep partnerships with Intel and AMD, starting with Lunar Lake and Strix. We will bring new Copilot+ PC experiences at a later date. In the future we expect to see devices with this silicon paired with powerful graphics cards like NVIDIA GeForce RTX and AMD Radeon, bringing Copilot+ PC experiences to reach even broader audiences like advanced gamers and creators.

New Surface devices

Surface Pro

The all-new Surface Pro, powered by Snapdragon X Elite and Snapdragon X Plus processors, delivers incredibly fast speeds, 90% faster than Surface Pro 9. It's built for the ultimate multitasker, supporting up to three external 4K displays, with two USB 4 ports, and a stunning 13" display with new optional OLED with HDR technology, delivering new levels of peak brightness and immersive colors. Wi-Fi 7 offers the fastest wireless connection available and optional 5G keeps you connected to the fastest cellular network, while you're on the move.

Surface Slim Pen gets even better with the new Surface Pro, with all new AI experiences. The ink now flows naturally with Zero Force inking, ultra-precise shading, 4,096 points of pressure sensitivity and a built-in haptic engine for a more natural writing experience.

Surface Laptop

Redesigned from the inside out, this new Laptop has modern lines and a stunning PixelSense touchscreen display with razor-thin bezels. With 120 Hz refresh rate, HDR technology, Dolby Vision IQ vii and Adaptive color technology, this display delivers crisper whites, darker blacks and an extended color spectrum. There are two screen sizes, as our new 13.8" display provides larger viewing area than a traditional 14" laptop, in a more compact design and a 15" with an even larger working canvas. This ultra-light and stylish Laptop comes in four stunning colors: Platinum, Black, Dune and Sapphire.

Surface Laptop unleashes lightning-fast speed and AI accelerated power for the ultimate multitasking. It is 86% faster than Laptop 5, delivering incredible performance. It can power up to three external 4K monitors. The 45 TOPS NPU unlocks new AI experiences and delivers industry-leading performance for seamless productivity with the longest battery life on any Surface - up to 22 hours on the Surface Laptop 15" and up to 20 on the Surface Laptop 13.8". With a large variety of ports and lightning-fast Wi-Fi 7, you will always be connected.

Surface availability

The brand-new Surface Pro and Surface Laptop deliver incredible speeds, all-day battery life and all-new AI experiences, all starting at $999. You can pre-order today and learn more about our new products at Microsoft.com. They'll be available at key retailers worldwide starting June 18.

The GPU priced keyboard

Bm2myseMxI2Mgdgb_thm.jpg

Officially called "Surface Pro Flex Keyboard with Slim Pen," the wireless keyboard is a $449.98 add-on keyboard that doesn't include Microsoft's Surface Slim Pen 2, only an indentation at the top of the keyboard to charge it. According to Microsoft, up to 41 hours of continuous typing while detached, a dedicated Copilot key, and a touchpad with a vibration function for haptic feedback. The touchpad can have varying pressure levels, and applications can use it to build different functionalities.

Its thin and light design measures 289x221x5.25 mm with a weight of 340 g. The dedicated Copilot key summons the AI assistant and all the functionality Microsoft plans for its Windows 11 integration, which has been completely revamped for AI. The material choice is a Alcantara polyester-blend, which can be difficult for maintenance, and the keyboard is sold in either black or bright sapphire colors, becoming available on June 18th

Interestingly, given the name "Surface Pro Flex Keyboard with Slim Pen" and a price tag of $449.98, it is intriguing as to why Microsoft doesn't bundle the Surface Slim Pen 2 with the keyboard, as it is designed with a dedicated wireless charging indentation for the pen.

My thoughts

I would like to see the claims mostly on ARM's compatibility with windows be fulfilled but laptops like those Copilot+ PCs do seem quite interesting in terms of both specs and features. Let's hope that we don't get a redo of the incompatibility of the Surface Pro X from 4 years back

I have nothing to say about the keyboard except, don't buy it. Even if the Copilot key was made out of pure astatine

Sources

Microsoft Has Lost its Mind—$450 for a Keyboard, AI Button Included | TechPowerUp

Microsoft Announces New Surface Pro and Surface Laptop | TechPowerUp

Microsoft Introduces Copilot+ PCs | TechPowerUp

Edited by filpo

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

ARM I'm actually excited about.

AI on the other hand, is starting to weary me. Although, it is a little funny to see companies stick "AI" on everything and charge hilarious prices.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It will be very interesting to finally see how these Snapdragon X Elite chips perform. 

Good to hear that the AI features that will use local compute (whichever they may be) will in the future run on Nvidia and AMD graphics cards as well. I wouldn't want them to be limited to Qualcomm based PCs if one that I find useful comes out. 

Yeah, I'm interested in the whole Qualcomm thing as well. Thinking to grab one of those OLED laptops with a Snapdragon CPU if all goes well, maybe. 🙂 I mean prices aren't bad on them seemingly.

Surface Pro Flex Keyboard with Slim Pen, - the wireless keyboard is a $449.98 add-on keyboard that doesn't include Microsoft's Surface Slim Pen 2, only an indentation at the top of the keyboard to charge it.

What. The. FUCK.

$450 USD for a slim tablet laptop... Ridiculous.

Looking it up, it seems the $450 version does come with a pen. There's a $350 version that does not and that one isn't called "with". Kind of misleading from that one source.

Still, insanely expensive for what it is.

Even more so.. when they have cheaper options at $280 for the previous model, that comes with the exact same pen. Just no dedicated AI button.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It will be interesting to see what limitations ARM Windows has regarding compatibility with x86 programs. Hopefully MS don't blow it...

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Who the fuck do they think they are...... Apple?

Even Apple don't price their KBs that high. I'm surprised they think they can sell enough to cover the tooling costs.  Shall we take bets on what they will be when Black Friday rolls around?

Looks like MS expects very few people to pick the OLED option for the Surface Pro 11

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Looking it up, it seems the $450 version does come with a pen. There's a $350 version that does not and that one isn't called "with". Kind of misleading from that one source.

Still, insanely expensive for what it is.

My mistake, techpowerup stated that the $450 version just had the place for the pen to change but not the actual pen, but since you’ve got the websites to check (for UK it’s not popping up) I’ll edit the post now. Sorry for the slight click bait. But yeah, $350 for a keyboard is still outrageously outrageous 

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

8 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Even Apple don't price their KBs that high. I'm surprised they think they can sell enough to cover the tooling costs.  Shall we take bets on what they will be when Black Friday rolls around?

Isn't apple's new ipad keyboard 300 buckaroos?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

59 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Isn't apple's new ipad keyboard 300 buckaroos?

$450 is well north of $300. Both are a pretty ridiculous sum for a laptop keyboard and trackpad, but still, Apple are being uncharacteristically the least unreasonable.

Those kb addons are only 10x price of their worth. Surface Laptop is cool but pricey for specs and their OEMs can offer better options. 

But I'm curious to see SD X Elite performance in real world and what may not be supported yet. 

I want to see and know about games support. Should run WoW decently.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

41 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

$450 is well north of $300. Both are a pretty ridiculous sum for a laptop keyboard and trackpad, but still, Apple are being uncharacteristically the least unreasonable.

Add in the pen and apple is also at the 430 mark... only 20 buck difference from MS...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, saltycaramel said:

Looks like MS expects very few people to pick the OLED option for the Surface Pro 11

I don't think your conclusion out of that tweet is really valid. IMO it seems that MS just doesn't expect much sales from the surface pro at all, and given its market share, I guess that's a reasonable decision.

I might consider a SD Elite laptop if I can find a ~13" one with good battery (60Wh+), 32~64gb of RAM and good Linux support (the SoC itself seems to be getting good upstream support, let's see how each laptop go about it) for less than $2k. Otherwise I might just go for a FW13 (still kinda bummed that they cancelled my order in the UK) or a new lg gram 14.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

7 hours ago, igormp said:

I don't think your conclusion out of that tweet is really valid. IMO it seems that MS just doesn't expect much sales from the surface pro at all, and given its market share, I guess that's a reasonable decision.

The Surface Pro when it first came out was quite popular, so many people had them, even here at my work. But honestly I don't think I have seen a single one for many years now. I think all the different models and Surface products were a mistake and confused the appeal of the Surface product.

Maybe these new devices will make the Surface products relevant again but I suspect not, releasing a $450 keyboard was also a huge mistake, at least at announcement of the product. Save that sticker shock until after the hype, then sucker punch everyone after you have benefitted from all the news and excitement.

More interested in the Minisforum V3 which can be had for $970. Just wish it had oculink port...