Can you recover data from overheated HDD

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
3 minutes ago, Lancelot.clarke said:

I have no clue if it overheated or not haha the internet was indicating that was likely what happened. 

If you don't have backups data recovery is really your only option. There is no guarantee, and your in the hundreds of dollars or more typically for data recovery. We really can't say what your chances are with this info. Some companies will only charge if they can get data, so that might be something to look out for.

I'd really suggest having multiple copies of the data in the future.

Hello, 

so I was using my 5tb rugged hdd for video editing and then the drive just unmounted and I was unable to mount it again. I am not sure what exactly happened. I did a little online trouble shooting, it recommended putting my Mac in recovery mode, checking disk utility, etc. none of that was able to detect the drive was even plugged in. There is a light indicating power and the disks spin up. I then tried to what any sensible person would and took the drive apart and plugged it directly into the sata, to see if it was the usb-c or board that was the issue. Still the hdd spins up, but does not mount or show the drive at all. 

Is there a software or solution that can be done to recover the files? I thought of taking it into a service to get it recovered but I’m not understanding how they would do it if the hdd is unable to be mounted, and don’t want to risk the money loss over them saying they can’t do anything. 

I also know very little on this stuff so any thoughts are welcome! Or is the drive just done done? 

2 minutes ago, Lancelot.clarke said:

I thought of taking it into a service to get it recovered but I’m not understanding how they would do it if the hdd is unable to be mounted

Generally places like that will operate by physically moving the platters from the dead drive into another working drive, and accessing it that way.

Are you sure the drive overheated and didn't die in any other way?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

4 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Generally places like that will operate by physically moving the platters from the dead drive into another working drive, and accessing it that way.

Are you sure the drive overheated and didn't die in any other way?

I have no clue if it overheated or not haha the internet was indicating that was likely what happened. 

3 minutes ago, Lancelot.clarke said:

If you don't have backups data recovery is really your only option. There is no guarantee, and your in the hundreds of dollars or more typically for data recovery. We really can't say what your chances are with this info. Some companies will only charge if they can get data, so that might be something to look out for.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Luckily, I have back up with everything that is truly important. All client work is backed up. Just have some personal things that I would like to have and some organization that I don’t want to redo haha which is why I am so hesitant to spend hundreds on recovery. 

On 5/21/2024 at 11:29 PM, Lancelot.clarke said:

Luckily, I have back up with everything that is truly important. All client work is backed up. Just have some personal things that I would like to have and some organization that I don’t want to redo haha which is why I am so hesitant to spend hundreds on recovery. 

check if you see it in disk management even just unlocated or whatever. 

then you can try recuva... it "kinda" works, i had partially success with it... it just wont recover everything,  or maybe nothing.

On 5/21/2024 at 11:10 PM, Lancelot.clarke said:

I then tried to what any sensible person would and took the drive apart

yeah... 👀

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder