W.H.O. Seeks to Classify ‘Gaming Disorder’ as a Mental Illness

I ran into an article on breitbart.com who which talks about how the W.H.O (world health organization) wants to classify people who game alot as mentally ill. here is a link

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/31/who-seeks-to-classify-gaming-disorder-as-a-mental-illness-claims-enormous-stakeholder-pressure/

What do you guys think about this BS

Breitbart, ROFL

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Breitbart, ROFL

Does that change the quoted sources and direct first hand sources of the officials themselves?

No?

Oh... 

Honestly, I can understand why asian countries, as was spoken of by the WHO themselves being the primary proponents for this change, would want this change. I don't agree with it whatsoever, but I understand why they would want to push for this kind of change. Gaming 'addiction' is a massive problem in a plethora of communities there, and classifying it as an actual mental disorder could lead to people seeking "treatment" for it. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

From Wikipedia

Breitbart News Network (known commonly as Breitbart News, Breitbart or Breitbart.com) is a far-right[5] American news, opinion and commentary[6][7] website founded in 2007 by Andrew Breitbart. Breitbart News has published a number of falsehoods and conspiracy theories,[8][9][10] as well as intentionally misleading stories.[11]

So I'd label this news website as not really trustworthy.

4 minutes ago, the_spankles said:

I ran into an article on breitbart.com who which talks about how the W.H.O (world health organization) wants to classify people who game alot as mentally ill. here is a link

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2017/03/31/who-seeks-to-classify-gaming-disorder-as-a-mental-illness-claims-enormous-stakeholder-pressure/

What do you guys think about this BS

What? A 'Gaming' disorder?

Maybe the W.H.O owner lost at Mario Kart & seeks revenge by giving everyone in whom is addicted to gaming a title? Meh. We'll never know I suppose

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Just now, Atmos said:

Does that change the quoted sources and direct first hand sources of the officials themselves?

No?

Oh... 

Honestly, I can understand why asian countries, as was spoken of by the WHO themselves being the primary proponents for this change, would want this change. I don't agree with it whatsoever, but I understand why they would want to push for this kind of change. Gaming 'addiction' is a massive problem in a plethora of communities there, and classifying it as an actual mental disorder could lead to people seeking "treatment" for it. 

What would I even be doing there in the 1st place? They're a site that I would have to double-check if they said the sky was blue.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

On a more serious note, yes there are people who have a serious issue with playing games that they forget they have other responsibilities. Like the parents in South Korea who played WoW (or was it The Sims?) and forgot they had a baby.

However, just label this as a subsection of any other psychological addiction disorder.

Just now, Nicholatian said:

0YKTjGa.gif

Seems to be a recent development in the long list of problems with society. Beta males get raised up by a society that overvalues and overprotects females, they’re basically given the short end of the stick and robbed of their cake, so they stop bothering and relegate themselves to their basements and play video games as a vocation. I feel sorry for these guys, I really do. They don’t deserve this kind of shit.

As for whether or not it’s a mental disorder… it’s just an addiction, and it’s a problem they have to deal with themselves. In terms of the big picture it’s a problem with changes in society.

The fuck?

Just now, ivan134 said:

What would I even be doing there in the 1st place? They're a site that I would have to double-check if they said the sky was blue.

Does their reputation change the direct quotes from the first hand sources, yes or no?

I don't give a f*ck whether you like the site itself, but just because you dislike them doesn't mean that their sources are any less legitimate in this case.

Even hitler made some beneficial changes to germany, such as anti-poaching laws and wildlife preservation.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

2 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

In terms of the big picture it’s a problem with changes in society.

Any sort of psychological addiction usually stems from the person needing an escape from something. If their something is so severe they indulge in their addiction more than reality, then something needs to be done.

Either way, it's not a mental disorder (like say schizophrenia), it's a problem with their environment. Usually.

Just now, Prysin said:

It's not a joke. The biggest joke is that the gaming hating mainstream media hasn't celebrated it. 

Also. This is old news 

???

Breitbart is a joke

so all esports athletes are now mentally ill?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

If you spend 14 hours a day you sure do have a problem and serious health concerns. Not saying this makes any sense at all, just saying they have an IQ of 3 rather than 0.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

2 minutes ago, Atmos said:

Does their reputation change the direct quotes from the first hand sources, yes or no?

I don't give a f*ck whether you like the site itself, but just because you dislike them doesn't mean that their sources are any less legitimate in this case.

Even hitler made some beneficial changes to germany, such as anti-poaching laws and wildlife preservation.

You clearly do care, but you've responded to me twice.

Whether they're correct or not is irrelevant to me. I'm not going to click it. I also don't click links from Kotaku or polygon because I don't want to give them traffic.

4 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

0YKTjGa.gif

Seems to be a recent development in the long list of problems with society. Beta males get raised up by a society that overvalues and overprotects females, they’re basically given the short end of the stick and robbed of their cake, so they stop bothering and relegate themselves to their basements and play video games as a vocation. I feel sorry for these guys, I really do. They don’t deserve this kind of shit.

As for whether or not it’s a mental disorder… it’s just an addiction, and it’s a problem they have to deal with themselves. In terms of the big picture it’s a problem with changes in society.

Ugh such a beta cuck. Just stepped on my shoe. What a beta. 

- snip-

I see that the people that complained about the source, didn't bother to at least check to see if others covered it. All I see is "this is right wing, this is alt right" without even bothering to humor the possibility that the information might be real, or at the very least, covered elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/opinion/sunday/video-games-arent-addictive.html

NYT, far from "alt right", posted basically the same information.

It’s certainly common to hear parents complain that their children are “addicted” to video games. Some researchers even claim that these games are comparable to illegal drugs in terms of their influence on the brain — that they are “digital heroin” (the neuroscientist Peter C. Whybrow) or “digital pharmakeia” (the neuroscientist Andrew Doan). The American Psychiatric Association has identified internet gaming disorder as a possible psychiatric illness, and the World Health Organization has proposed including “gaming disorder” in its catalog of mental diseases, along with drug and alcohol addiction.

Rather than immediately dismiss the sources and proclaim the information is false simply because of said source, actually look into it. I see no point in putting fourth the effort to dismiss the source, over putting in the effort to validate it.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

I see that the people that complained about the source, didn't bother to at least check to see if others covered it. All I see is "this is right wing, this is alt right" without even bothering to humor the possibility that the information might be real, or at the very least, covered elsewhere.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/opinion/sunday/video-games-arent-addictive.html

NYT, far from "alt right", posted basically the same information.

Rather than immediately dismiss the sources and proclaim the information is false simply because of said source, actually look into it. I see no point in putting fourth the effort to dismiss the source, over putting in the effort to validate it.

*Bangs table*

Thank you! 

- snip-