W.H.O. Seeks to Classify ‘Gaming Disorder’ as a Mental Illness

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

Apple juice?!?! YOU ARE A FRAUD. EVERYONE KNOWS GAMERS ONLY DRINK MOUNTAIN DEW!

Hey, I like apple juice..

Their claim is not really that exagerated, but, you can't place a label on someone as "mentally ill" just because they game a lot.

Sure, there are cases and cases, suicides(yeah I know...), deaths by exhaustion, complete isolation from society, but compared to the amount of gamers there are...these kinda make for exceptions, not rules.

I do have a "friend" if I can call hiim like that anymore, who had and still has problems with addiction. He blames everything on others and stuff...does not do anything besides gaming(apart from going to college),  but I wouldn't label him as mentally ill.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Just now, TorqueS said:

Their claim is not really that exagerated, but, you can't place a label on someone as "mentally ill" just because they game a lot.

Sure, there are cases and cases, suicides(yeah I know...), deaths by exhaustion, complete isolation from society, but compared to the amount of gamers there are...these kinda make for exceptions, not rules.

I do have a "friend" if I can call hiim like that anymore, who had and still has problems with addiction. He blames everything on others and stuff...does not do anything besides gaming(apart from going to college),  but I wouldn't label him as mentally ill.

I haven't read the article yet but I'm sure they've come to the conclusion that it's a mental illness simply because it is addiction, which I could see being a type of mental illness. We already treat alcoholics that way.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

I haven't read the article yet but I'm sure they've come to the conclusion that it's a mental illness simply because it is addiction, which I could see being a type of mental illness. We already treat alcoholics that way.

But it's le brightburtz so iz not tru

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

We do?!

I mean ok, I know severe addicts do receive treatment in a mental hospital...but it's this way because, alcohol can damage your body waaaaay worse than gaming I'd say.

I do game, and usually spend time in front of a computer for most of my day(and night <.< >.>), but I don't feel like I'm addicted. I consider it to become an addiction when it like...becomes an obligation...a self-imposed one. 

I can manage fine a few days without tech and don't usually lash out if someone interrupts me, so I believe I'm good. Right?!!!

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Just now, TorqueS said:

We do?!

I mean ok, I know severe addicts do receive treatment in a mental hospital...but it's this way because, alcohol can damage your body waaaaay worse than gaming I'd say.

Addiction to gaming can lead to death if it's severe enough. Rare cases from people burning out their bodies but it's a thing.

5 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

Seems to be a recent development in the long list of problems with society. Beta males get raised up by a society that overval

Where's that gif from?

13 hours ago, the_spankles said:

but addiction isn't a mental disorder. people who are addicted to alcohol don't get a handicap sticker.

couple of things

if you can't stop playing video games / gamble, bet your ass your brain is fucked up

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

couple of things

• gaming is not a pill you swallow
  • alcohol is a chemical addiction, just like drugs
  • you can equate "gambling" with "video gaming disorder"

if you can't stop playing video games / gamble, bet your ass your brain is fucked up

What if you are addicted to Online Poker?

Mother of god...

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

couple of things

• gaming is not a pill you swallow
  • alcohol is a chemical addiction, just like drugs
  • you can equate "gambling" with "video gaming disorder"

[Speaks in Trump]

You're wrong.

Addiction. Addiction to alcohol is just like being addicted to vidya games. Terrible. It's terrible. *points at some random viewer of the thread* you know what I'm talking about.

*nostril inhale*

Addiction to vidya games can lead to many terrible things. Trust me. It can lead to serious conditions under which people would consider the games more important than their responsibilities. Just like the previous administration but let's not talk about that.

Folks, we have to stop. We've gotta stop giving Ubisoft and EA, Bethesda and Activision|Blizzard our hard earned money. They take our money. They take it and they use. It. For. Terrible things folks. Just terrible.

Too often our young people find more interest in pixels on a screen than something productive to society. Believe me I had a young son once. Luckily we were able to make him more responsible am I right? The parents know what I'm talking about.

So folks, don't let yourselves get sucked into.beloeving vidya games are more important than life. Take a break. Get a job if you don't have one - we've got plenty coming believe me. Do something with your family folks.

Remember everyone, we're all here for one reason. One reason. That reason is to make gaming great again.

For anyone curious, this is what my sister, who is a psychology major, had this to say about this attempt at the new classification: "...it sounds stupid, but I'd have to look it up some more." You heard it hear first, folks. xD

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

1 minute ago, Jito463 said:

I could totally hear that in Trump's voice, LOL.

I could too. That means he did a good job. :D

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Just now, Jito463 said:

Based on your avatar gif, I am fully prepared to believe that. ;)

Thank you, i take pride in my dumbass profile pic

Send me pics of dogs, cats or animals

❤️ @Sylvie05

1 minute ago, Vulrax said:

Then i am mentally ill

Don't send yourself to the funny farm just yet. There are still things to be reasoned.

I personally see this "gaming disorder" as a mix of nurture and nature. It is simply not possible to mark it as an illness as there are so many different psychological factors that add up to it. A large part of the blame goes to the parents however, as it is more often than not a blatant sign of negligence and/or abuse. It is much like drugs in the sense that it originally enveloped as a form of a coping mechanism, but was left unchecked. Social awkwardness (which has some genetic roots) also plays a big part into the issue of sitting in front of a screen for an unhealthy amount of time per day.

And, to be brutally honest, I do not trust the source cited by the OP one bit. Thankfully there are others to back it up.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

6 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

so all esports athletes are now mentally ill?

Para e-Olympics will be a new thing now.

Oh, and another problem I see with this classification is that there is a stigma regarding mental illness, like if you suffer from depression and aren't able to "snap out of it" at will, it makes you weak or something. The general populace already has certain biases against gamers, and this would have the possibility of being more polarizing, especially people judging everyone who games too much for their personal taste as mentally ill, and I think it kinda undercuts the people who actually are suffering from addictions. It adds more fuel to the metaphorical fire, and ho-boy what a blaze it is.

3 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

blaze

ROFL THEBLAZE

Simply more shit that the mainstream of society declares as fact in order to bash introverted, socially-awkward, or genuinely autistic people with. They have not presented anything that is distinctive enough to classify a "gaming disorder" disease, it's all the same vague definitions that psychology loves to peddle. Any legitimate mental disorder related to gaming habits is almost completely going to be caused by an already preexisting mental issue.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

10 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I could care less about the source and the fact that the W.H.O has gotten so fucking stupid.

Eh, I kind of agree, but then again I also somewhat disagree. There are two things to take away from this thread. The first is that you can't trust a single entity to provide all of the news you need, because bias is almost always involved, and that this is an incredibly stupid decision by WHO, because I think it'll do more harm than good. Establishing some classification of mental disorders can be helpful in order to identify them, and that can help people on the road to recovery, but this doesn't really provide anything that hasn't been defined already, and would be more appropriate to be under other forms of addiction. Also, although this applies in only specific circumstances, the general populace may interpret it as "all gamers are mentally ill" or create some other sort of nonexistent problem in their minds about a group they have no involvement in. It's giving people more tools to judge people without getting to know them or their circumstances, and we do not need more of that, thank you. If these things aren't important to you, that's fine, but they can have an impact on society, and I believe we should be aware of that fact.

4 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

Eh, I kind of agree, but then again I also somewhat disagree. There are two things to take away from this thread. The first is that you can't trust a single entity to provide all of the news you need, because bias is almost always involved, and that this is an incredibly stupid decision by WHO, because I think it'll do more harm than good. Establishing some classification of mental disorders can be helpful in order to identify them, and that can help people on the road to recovery, but this doesn't really provide anything that hasn't been defined already, and would be more appropriate to be under other forms of addiction. Also, although this applies in only specific circumstances, the general populace may interpret it as "all gamers are mentally ill" or create some other sort of nonexistent problem in their minds about a group they have no involvement in. It's giving people more tools to judge people without getting to know them or their circumstances, and we do not need more of that, thank you. If these things aren't important to you, that's fine, but they can have an impact on society, and I believe we should be aware of that fact.

Regardless I still think the W.H.O needs to stop.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization