AMD’s Answer To Nvidia’s GameWorks, GPUOpen Announced – Open Source Tools, Graphics Effects, Libraries And SDKs

TOMPPIX

YAY! Wait, why the fuck is it called "GPUOpen"? Who the hell names these things? I need to have a word with them and teach them how to name things properly.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It won't stop gameworks lol....

Now there will be more AMD options,... like the GTA5 Shadows.

Shadow settings be like - Low, Medium, High, Nvidia PCSS & AMD HDS (HighDefShadow for example)

Amongst various other new things that will come.

It will not stop gameworks though....

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

will they also throw rocks under the map with low res textures but tons of something that doesn't work well on their competition's cards to fuck their competitor's performance?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

YAY! Wait, why the fuck is it called "GPUOpen"? Who the hell names these things? I need to have a word with them and teach them how to name things properly.

Yeah, sounds rather ridiculous. Probably marketing. Take a few catchwords and glue them together.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

GAMEBREAKS GOING DOWN HOPEFULLY.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

As much as id love the community to move away from proprietary libraries there is no way that would happen. First of all the biggest reason why companies used gameworks was that nvidia all but paid them (and in some cases did pay them) to do it. Either by sending people over to help with coding, adding new features for a game that needs it, or just optimization tweaks to get the performance needed.

Love the idea, moving in the right direction, but gameworks will be here for a long time.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

You are shocked about AMD product naming. You must be new to tech. Really really new. /s

OT: If effects and stuff will be optimized as well as AMD gaming titles I've nothing to say. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Best part about it? Pretty much guaranteed unbiased performance across both AMD and NVIDIA. This ain't GimpWorks™

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

still think gameworks is much much better.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

5 bucks says some people think AMD just recently wrote a bunch of new tools and SDK's to make this initiative.

To hopefully clarify that ignorance before they start spewing verbal rhea, here are the cold hard facts:

- Both Nvidia and AMD (and intel) have always had their software tools and effects available to developers, openly, for free and without restriction (with the exception of physX), to help in game development.

- A few years ago, Nvidia decided to package up their software tools and effects and make them proprietary, closed and only available through licensing. We all know how successful that has been (/s).

So now, AMD are doing the same thing - packaging all of their tools and effects into a more streamlined and focused package, but offering everything for free, unlicensed (possibly), and without restriction to how the developers alter the code. Nvidia even gains by this because they can send their software guys in to modify the OpenGPU code for their own hardware, something AMD was never able to do with gameworks. No one loses, and everyone benefits. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

still think gameworks is much much better.

what? no one has actually seen it in action yet? They havent even said what it all includes...

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

OP, you're naive. Most open source projects of this scale get stuck in the mud and innovate more slowly than a proprietary solution with a dedicated team. Nvidia will simply pull in what it may be lacking in from this new library, improve upon it, and stuff it into Gameworks while continuing to have better solutions in their proprietary library. I remain highly skeptical of this project's future prospects until I see engines actually adopting this.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Seems like it has more potential than Gameworks right now. We could probably see studios arise that are solely focused on starting with those solutions, create a better effect or whatnot, and then sell them. I'm pretty sure there are far better teams that could be working on providing libraries of visuals effects than just AMD and Nvidia. The real question will be whether any company is willing to invest in creating those libraries and if those companies decide to sell them to others.

This shit again? AMD = open source ALL of the things!....when? TBD.....fine! Mantle is now open source, at the same time we're abandoning the fucking project altogether. Don't believe their lies their "open" shit so far only panned out for Freesync....which was already part of VESA standards. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

And this will raise because ? of wait it probably won't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This shit again? AMD = open source ALL of the things!....when? TBD.....fine! Mantle is now open source, at the same time we're abandoning the fucking project altogether. Don't believe their lies their "open" shit so far only panned out for Freesync....which was already part of VESA standards.

Adaptive Sync is the VESA standard. FreeSync is AMD's particular use of it on the GPU side.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

OP, you're naive. Most open source projects of this scale get stuck in the mud and innovate more slowly than a proprietary solution with a dedicated team. Nvidia will simply pull in what it may be lacking in from this new library, improve upon it, and stuff it into Gameworks while continuing to have better solutions in their proprietary library. I remain highly skeptical of this project's future prospects until I see engines actually adopting this.

I agree with you, but why would AMD create such a profitless initiative if it would help the competition? Do you think they are doing it for just plain marketing?

Adaptive Sync is the VESA standard. FreeSync is AMD's particular use of it on the GPU side.

That's what I meant yes.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And this will raise because ? of wait it probably won't.

Not with current market share, which probably won't change drastically anytime soon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32 GB (4x8GB) DDR4 GPU: EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB NVME | Samsung QVO 1TB SSD  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S PSU: Corsair RM850x

I am a gamer, not because I don't have a life, but because I choose to have many.