AMD’s Answer To Nvidia’s GameWorks, GPUOpen Announced – Open Source Tools, Graphics Effects, Libraries And SDKs

TOMPPIX

still think gameworks is much much better.

Yes gameworks is better at killing performance, and GPUOpen and crashing your game from AMD.

Both of these tools need to die, and everyone should make their own game effects library.

There is only one library that AMD should have developed 10 years ago and that is a physx gpu library its one of the greatest things that gpu's can and its extermely underused near 0 games with gpu physx.

Sounds promising but don't get your hopes up. Even IF AMD delivers on their promise (their track record is bloody awful), and even IF GPUOpen is good (not just performance wise but also how easy it is to work with) there is still a risk of it being ignored in favor of SDKs like GameWorks.

More free (as in free beer and freedom) tools for development is always welcome in my books, but if it doesn't deliver then it will have been a waste of time and money for AMD. Two resources they really can't afford to waste in their current situation. I will wish you luck AMD. Everyone (except Nvidia) wins if you succeed.

Edit: Wow what happened to Ammar (TecFn@natic)? He used to be a huge AMD fanboy when he was posting on this site and now he posts stuff like "No i admit AMD fanboys are very special and unique. Only special people like AMD." in the comment section of his own article on WCCFTech.

I agree with you, but why would AMD create such a profitless initiative if it would help the competition? Do you think they are doing it for just plain marketing?

As incompetent as AMD's management is, it's either purely for marketing, or to somehow unseat Intel as the Open-Source King to bring back the Linux community.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

still think gameworks is much much better.

Congratulations on deciding something is better without seeing the alternative, the word for this is "fanboy", wear your title with pride shame.

I think Gamewreks sounds better.

GameBorked™

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

OP, you're naive. Most open source projects of this scale get stuck in the mud and innovate more slowly than a proprietary solution with a dedicated team. Nvidia will simply pull in what it may be lacking in from this new library, improve upon it, and stuff it into Gameworks while continuing to have better solutions in their proprietary library. I remain highly skeptical of this project's future prospects until I see engines actually adopting this.

Source please?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

They're saying all the right things, but of course they are. AMD is the market underdog and as such, it works well for them to push the idea that they're the open-source alternative to big, bad Nvidia. They have a tendency to throw around the terms "open" and "free" for products that still end up being partially or completely reliant on proprietary hardware. I'm certainly in favor of the broad concept, but I'm skeptical.

As incompetent as AMD's management is, it's either purely for marketing, or to somehow unseat Intel as the Open-Source King to bring back the Linux community.

amd benefits if they can get gameworks out of the market and replace it with this which benefits both companies fairly equally

Source please?

See all 130 some distros of Linux. See Virtual Box. See O-S GPU drivers for BSD and Linux. See the last three attempts at fully O-S game engines. There's at least one O-S antivirus that's still sitting dead on Github too.

Simply see github. Most of it is a graveyard.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

amd benefits if they can get gameworks out of the market and replace it with this which benefits both companies fairly equally

Won't happen for reasons I pointed out above. Nvidia has dedicated teams for this. Even if OpenGPU does something better, Nvidia can pull the code in and further improve it and keep it packaged in Gameworks. Nvidia has the advantage purely by having a proprietary solution with an O-S well to draw from, not to mention starting with the vast majority market share.

See all 130 some distros of Linux. See Virtual Box. See O-S GPU drivers for BSD and Linux. See the last three attempts at fully O-S game engines. There's at least one O-S antivirus that's still sitting dead on Github too.

Simply see github. Most of it is a graveyard.

And did you see Red hat, I can insert a list of successful open source projects too here. And, you have pointed out that they are less innovative, got a proof for that as well.

Unless you give me something tangible I won't agree with you.

Pascal laptops guide

And did you see Red hat, I can insert a list of successful open source projects too here. And, you have pointed out that they are less innovative, got a proof for that as well.

Unless you give me something tangible I won't agree with you.

Red hat is not fully open source. In fact that's one thing that's made Fedora truly exceptional.

I can give you a bunch of anecdotal evidence, but no one's done an objective study and run the numbers. If O-S was so great, everyone would do it. It's a battlefield of egos and opinions and gets stuck so often because of that.

I don't see why game works should benefit AMD at all.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Red hat is not fully open source. In fact that's one thing that's made Fedora truly exceptional.

I can give you a bunch of anecdotal evidence, but no one's done an objective study and run the numbers. If O-S was so great, everyone would do it. It's a battlefield of egos and opinions and gets stuck so often because of that.

Same thing with proprietary, if it was great everybody would have done by now.

Pascal laptops guide

Won't happen for reasons I pointed out above. Nvidia has dedicated teams for this. Even if OpenGPU does something better, Nvidia can pull the code in and further improve it and keep it packaged in Gameworks. Nvidia has the advantage purely by having a proprietary solution with an O-S well to draw from, not to mention starting with the vast majority market share.

from a dev's perspective its generally not a good idea to alienate 30% of the market with something that might not run as well. also open source have won before with linux taking over the server leaving windows server behind also android is putting up a good fight with ios

Same thing with proprietary, if it was great everybody would have done by now.

Everyone does. The only people who O-S are either paranoid, want to show off their skills to be hired (it is good for resume' building/making a portfolio), or want to put their name on something. It is exceptionally rare that open-source anything ends up with a better solution than software made by a small, dedicated team that is paid to make it. O-S lacks a lot of personal motivation and also tends to lack the elite skills that are used to build proprietary software. One such case in point is IBM's proprietary version of Linux, which is 30% more efficient than even Red Hat's CentOS for servers.

This shit again? AMD = open source ALL of the things!....when? TBD.....fine! Mantle is now open source, at the same time we're abandoning the fucking project altogether. Don't believe their lies their "open" shit so far only panned out for Freesync....which was already part of VESA standards.

To be fair, mantle still exists in liquidVR. AMD outright said that devs using DX12 would make more sense.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I don't see why game works should benefit AMD at all.

because thats the only way to make something wide spread if it supports the entire market not a percent of the market. so if nvidia wants gameworks to be ubiquitous they need to make it run well on amd hardware 

from a dev's perspective its generally not a good idea to alienate 30% of the market with something that might not run as well. also open source have won before with linux taking over the server leaving windows server behind also android is putting up a good fight with ios

Linux took over servers purely because Microsoft didn't exactly go after them. Further, it's the proprietary versions of Linux which have taken over. You don't see vanilla CentOS or BSD run on a business' server. You see a proprietary, tuned version of it. O-S very, very rarely beats proprietary solutions, and that's specifically because proprietary solutions can draw from O-S in those rare cases, at a speed that far surpasses O-S development.

iOS is objectively better than Android across the board other than its locked-down nature. It's lighter on resources, very power efficient, and just as snappy.

Nvidia won't be alienating even 20% of the market. And if it continues to have the better solutions, it will become the market. There's no downside from Nvidia's perspective. Let AMD exhaust itself and sputter while Nvidia reaps the rewards. That has ever been the relationship between O-S and proprietary software.

To clarify: That is the way it will probably play out, but it's not necessarily the case: Open source projects CAN have dedicated devs there's no reason they wouldn't other than there's usually no advantage for the companies except very specific cases like long time saving by developing for Linux in general vs paying perpetual licensing costs but more specialized items like your example, virtualization, usually end up being more cost effective by going with a proprietary solution than investing resources into open source development.

In theory however, given AMD's weak market position it would actually be in their best interest to invest in open source APIs like these since it would give added value to their products in the eyes of devs, in practice however this is mostly marketing BS as mentioned: AMD pretends to be open source when in reality, it really is almost as closed as Nvidia.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Everyone does. The only people who O-S are either paranoid, want to show off their skills to be hired (it is good for resume' building/making a portfolio), or want to put their name on something. It is exceptionally rare that open-source anything ends up with a better solution than software made by a small, dedicated team that is paid to make it. O-S lacks a lot of personal motivation and also tends to lack the elite skills that are used to build proprietary software. One such case in point is IBM's proprietary version of Linux, which is 30% more efficient than even Red Hat's CentOS for servers.

but it is still built off of open source backbone if proprietary is so much better why dont they build their own os from the ground up. thats the beauty of open source is that people can modify it to fit their needs not what a company thinks that they need

No not really, open source is better for certain solutions, you can't have everything proprietary partially solutions which need to be shared, toolkits for example.

Pascal laptops guide

because thats the only way to make something wide spread if it supports the entire market not a percent of the market. so if nvidia wants gameworks to be ubiquitous they need to make it run well on amd hardware

They don't need to, I've seen quite the number of AAA titles being a game works title and Nvidia seems fine with it. And I think Gameworks has presence in the market. Also, if GameWorks has advantages and is good devs will use it so there is that too.

All I'm seeing day by day more titles use GameWorks, so if it works for Nvidia then why change it.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Linux took over servers purely because Microsoft didn't exactly go after them. Further, it's the proprietary versions of Linux which have taken over. You don't see vanilla CentOS or BSD run on a business' server. You see a proprietary, tuned version of it. O-S very, very rarely beats proprietary solutions, and that's specifically because proprietary solutions can draw from O-S in those rare cases, at a speed that far surpasses O-S development.

iOS is objectively better than Android across the board other than its locked-down nature. It's lighter on resources, very power efficient, and just as snappy.

i can argue that linux is better than windows for the arguments you made about ios being better than android. and if proprietary is so much better then why do people use linux as a base for their OS and why not make their own from scratch

Uhh has to beat gameworks to supplant it.

Good luck with that amd.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS