PC is instable while zero load, is a high performing beast when gaming

kuzzikan

Hey Everyone,

yes you read the topic right, for me its quite a strange thing cause I have never troubleshooted anything like this, but eventually various processes die while my PC is in general idle. I'm playing back a youtube video in the background to avoid chrome crashing while writing these lines.

The issue is basically since the beginning this PC has been built, although nowadays I feel its more frequent hence I did spend more time on troubleshooting.

I do have a hard background of PC hardware, was a profession for quite some years, although not very recently as I'm in Enterprise IT and doing Architecture and Engineering for IT security, so have some proficiency for problem analysis I guess. Also I built the PC, its from higher end components, good cooling, etc. 

So just to point out what I don't have issues with:

• playing 4k/VR for extended periods of times
  • watching videos, doing casual stuff, watching discord stream from friends

and in general that is summing up most of the time for what I use this PC for.

But I do have issues with... doing anything while nothing is actually generating load. So lets describe the random crashes while my PC is generally idle:

• Chrome: crashes with STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION and STATUS_BREAKPOINT
    image.png.b60d2ad07d3f8a3697aaaead4c47e62c.png
  • dwm.exe: I'm shit at windows debugging, event log is not really verbose, freaking annoying though that it recycles all my displays
  • Discord: just shuts down and restarts, going through the logs I have found 'render process' crashes like always:

{"timestamp":1714160327.887,"category":"console","level":"log","message":"blackbox: 2024-04-26T19:38:47.887Z 11 ❌ render-process-gone { reason: 'crashed', exitCode: -1073741819 }"},{"timestamp":1714160327.891,"category":"electron","message":"renderer.destroyed","type":"ui","data":{"id":2,"url":"https://discord.com/channels/674215724734087178/674215724734087181"}},{"timestamp":1714160327.891,"category":"electron","message":"window.focus","type":"ui","data":{}},{"timestamp":1714160327.891,"category":"electron","message":"app.browser-window-focus","type":"ui"}

So lets try a list what I did validate through my issue is on and what I have done:

• Reinstalled Windows 11 several times
  • I'm constantly updating all my drivers
  • Ran MemTest86+ until 3+ passes on different profile settings (with XMP on/off, multiple CPU profiles)
  • Tried several CPU profiles, currently on this new Intel force stock restrictions on voltages and TDP bios, with enabling this option
  • XMP is also off
  • Validated performance with CB, 3DMark, it does perform as identical hardware should, I have zero problems with performance or under-load stability

I'm not overclocking this hardware, never did, nor needed. I'm just out of ideas guys, so I'd be glad if you could provide some so that I would have some next steps where to move forward. If its a hardware thing, I have zero clue if I could point out my GPU or Mobo, or anything with this particular stuff, so some test cases or to-dos if you have some would help a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

any ideas are welcome 🙂