New motherboard not recognising M.2 c drive from previous PC.

Go to solution Solved by BINBASH,

A couple of things you can do:

• Check the M.2 specifications against the motherboard specifications, make sure they're compatible.
  • Look for BIOS options related to AHCI or NVMe configurations, might be something that's configured wrong.
  • Update the BIOS.
  • Reset CMOS.

OK, So we have bought a new motherboard and processor for my sons PC.  The M.2 which was the C Drive on the previous build is not recognised by the BIOS so obviously it doesn't boot to windows.  

The two other drives are recognised, one an ssd and the other a conventional hard drive, both sata. 

I have tried the M.2 in the other slot, no luck. I have also fired up the old motherboard again with the M.2 and it booted to windows with no issues.

I have effed around with various settings within the bios including the CSM module but nothing I do works. 

Any ideas? 

Craig

A couple of things you can do:

• Check the M.2 specifications against the motherboard specifications, make sure they're compatible.
  • Look for BIOS options related to AHCI or NVMe configurations, might be something that's configured wrong.
  • Update the BIOS.
  • Reset CMOS.

Bachelor of Science, Cybersecurity & Networking

AWS CCP | AWS CSA | CCNA | CEH Pro

Thanks. I will have ago today. 

Thanks. So here is an update. 

I have updated the BIOS and reset the CMOS, to no avail. 

I have fitted another m.2 drive and it is not recognised either. However, When I have the boot drive in one slot and this second M.2 on the other, it gave me 1 long and 3 short beeps, which is apparently a graphics issue. When go back to one M.2 in either slot it posts to bios screen and still doesnt show any drives (have the two other hard drives disconnected). 

I have reseated the RAM, and have everything disconnected from the motherboard other than power, graphics card and M.2.

Do you think the most likely cause is a fault with the new board/processor? 

Craig

Actually, you were right. My M.2s are incompatible. Bugger. 

Out of all the possible issues...that's probably the one you want the least. Sorry to hear.

Bachelor of Science, Cybersecurity & Networking

AWS CCP | AWS CSA | CCNA | CEH Pro

You have to install the Intel IRST driver to get the drive recognized 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19512/intel-rapid-storage-technology-driver-installation-software-with-intel-optane-memory-10th-and-11th-gen-platforms.html

If doing a clean install, extract the IRST drive to the root of the Windows 11 installer. In Where Would You Like to Install Windows? If it doesn't show your M.2, the browse it to the flash drive and the IRST driver. The computer will restart, it will now recognize the M.2 to complete the install, or if it has Windows on it already, then remove the flash drive and it should boot to Windows. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

14 hours ago, BINBASH said:

Out of all the possible issues...that's probably the one you want the least. Sorry to hear.

Luckily I have a nvme i was using in an enclosure for my laptop. Currently cloning onto that.