So Why Is Apple "The best" in some peoples eyes?

whatishacks

Please don't ignorantly bash apple/windows

This is more of a discussion thread just to understand a bit better.

My dad is an apple lover.  He calls himself an apple guy.  He has an iphone 6, ipad air 2, macbook pro, apple TV, and is planning to get an apple watch..  He's also waiting on the new apple TV, and is going to buy an iMac as well.

He was going to buy an apple router+expressport, but luckily I stopped him from doing that, by showing him a 10x better router for $30 cheaper.

Anyways, he is always saying his macbook is this and that, and there is some uneducated points he makes which got me thinking.

Why do people just deem apple the best?

Their support is clearly amazing.  My dad took his macbook to the apple store recently cause he thought his hard drive was slow.  They took about 2hours and didn't charge a dime, plus gave him some advice on why his system was slower than usual. 

But for me, I built a $964 desktop and, spec wise, im beating the high-end iMac by a long shot.  Plus, I'm not tied to a GPU I can't upgrade.

Like, im fucking confused.. Are people just drawn to the design and simplicity?

Is it because there are more "average" users than users who need the extra 3 gb of vRam and 2ghz more processor speed?

Please state your opinion!

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

*looks at other brands*

"Oh awesome specs!'

*looks at Apple*

"Ooh shiny~"

*buys Apple*

Please don't ignorantly bash apple/windows

This is more of a discussion thread just to understand a bit better.

My dad is an apple lover.  He calls himself an apple guy.  He has an iphone 6, ipad air 2, macbook pro, apple TV, and is planning to get an apple watch..  He's also waiting on the new apple TV, and is going to buy an iMac as well.

He was going to buy an apple router+expressport, but luckily I stopped him from doing that, by showing him a 10x better router for $30 cheaper.

Anyways, he is always saying his macbook is this and that, and there is some uneducated points he makes which got me thinking.

Why do people just deem apple the best?

Their support is clearly amazing.  My dad took his macbook to the apple store recently cause he thought his hard drive was slow.  They took about 2hours and didn't charge a dime, plus gave him some advice on why his system was slower than usual. 

But for me, I built a $964 desktop and, spec wise, im beating the high-end iMac by a long shot.  Plus, I'm not tied to a GPU I can't upgrade.

Like, im fucking confused.. Are people just drawn to the design and simplicity?

Is it because there are more "average" users than users who need the extra 3 gb of vRam and 2ghz more processor speed?

You dont have to think to buy a apple.  They dont give you optoins making your choices easy, not necessarily the process of doing something.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Cause the design is so damn nice. Only thing i like about them. I tell you, i'd own a macbook air right now if they had reasonable prices, along with an iphone. But sadly that's not the case, and i own a Nexus, and a Windows laptop. My mate has the mac book air and it's so damn nice. 

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Apple = sheep

Also, Apple owns the kings of marketing. Ask someone who buys an Apple product or upgrades from the previous one why they want it. Most of the time they won't know why their they're buying Apple's annual devices.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Apple does some things a lot better than other companies, and there are plenty of things they don't do quite as well.

Never make the mistake that higher specs = better product because it's rarely true.

They have a lot of good software principles to (lack of registry etc) and their eco system is better than any other.

if I didn't have professional work that required Windows, I'd switch straight to OSX simply to have iMessage.

Cause the design is so damn nice. Only thing i like about them. I tell you, i'd own a macbook air right now if they had reasonable prices, along with an iphone. But sadly that's not the case, and i own a Nexus, and a Windows laptop. My mate has the mac book air and it's so damn nice. 

Honestly, holding my friends macbook air was really amazing.  The design is impeccable.

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

Also, Apple owns the kings of marketing. Ask someone who buys an Apple product or upgrades from the previous one why they want it. Most of the time they won't know why their buying Apple's annual devices.

If it's not an iphone it's...

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

You don't only pay for the phone but also for the OS. iOS has way more security then Android.

However their prices are indeed a little high.

Honestly, holding my friends macbook air was really amazing.  The design is impeccable.

See what i mean!! But they just need to bring prices down. They sell so many damn unit's i can't see why making a $100 profit wouldn't get them by. Like really think about all the iphones in the world AND ipads. Like really in Q3 2015, they sold 47.5 million iPhones and 10.9 million iPads and 4.8 million Macs. And that's just in Q3 of this year!!!!!

Source: http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/apple/apple-q3-2015-financial-results-how-many-iphones-ipads-macs-sold-revenue-update-3581769/

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Simpler and Cleaner for most people

I find the eco-system nice, but I don't really want to pay the price (DatRyhme)

I can teach my grandpa Yosemite faster than Win 10 (but this situation doesn't apply to everyone though)

And they are marketing geniuses

Which is good and bad at the same time

SNIP

TLDR: Performance does not equal everything!

Apple machines, amazing stores, amazing support, easy to buy, easy to set up, easy to operate, intuitive OS, amazing build quality, beautiful devices, fantastic app store, integration with each other, syncing across devices super easy, 

They are simple, powerful elegant machines

Are they the best bang for buck? no

Are they the most powerful? no

Does that matter to everyone? no

Some people dont care how many gigaflops of computer performance they have, and are happy to pay the premium for a device that is pleasant to look at, and pleasant to use

NOTE: Obviously there are some machines that are well built, have good support, but for Apple EVERY device is treated the same, with Windows/Android its hit and miss

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Because everyone has different tastes. Some people like Alienware and think it is money well spent, or those who think the cheapest thing possible is money well spent & good enough for the job. Also a lot of people prefer the simplicity of an OSX/iOS environment. I know with my dad his iPad suits him way better than an Android or Windows tablet..

Also Apple are pretty awesome in the support department from my experience & the knowledge their staff have on their products is pretty impressive.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

It is because they are simple. People trust the brand to work and since it does they gain following.

Most people don't understand anything about computers, but they know if you buy apple you probably get the best or one of the best there is and that is good enough for majority of population.

That is true. There's also the fact that they make it so when you own one Apple product, owning another one will be very convenient.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

Apple is a simple and powerful machine even the elderly can use easily! Apple spends billions into research and design a product comfortable for anyone to use!

Most people love apple for that very reason !

I am an all time windows user and did take some time to understand windows(about a week)

When I used a macbook for the first  time it took me about 30-40 minutes to understand and how to use it UI !

MacBook Pro 13" Mid 2012 w/Core i5 3210M and glorious HD 4000 Graphics

If it's not an iphone it's...

This channel sums up a lot of things Apple:

Also, their marketing summed up:

PMSL

I'll be honest. I think apple's intuitive design is just dumbing down computer behaviour to such a level that you don't actually need to understand it to use it.

This isn't a bad thing for some people, but the problem is it leads to different expectations, and it makes it very difficult for the power user to use the advanced features which you have to go looking for if you want to do more than open email.

Apple IOS isn't consistent. It leads to different expectations depending on where you joined the franchise.... I don't want to have to deal with beats...yet despite the fact I buy my own music I actually have to be online to play shit that I own......

Because everything works they way it says it will. It's that simple. If something works and works well, people will buy it.

Sure, they might not be good for (much) gaming and are sometimes** more expensive than the competition (prebuilts, that is) but they look nice and function well. I've only owned a Macbook Air and a couple of different iPods but I never had an issues with them and they worked when I needed them (other than a few flat battery incidents).

**I say "sometimes" because my 2013 MBA was cheaper and better specced than any other Haswell ultrabook at the time.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I'll be honest. I think apple's intuitive design is just dumbing down computer behaviour to such a level that you don't actually need to understand it to use it.

This isn't a bad thing for some people, but the problem is it leads to different expectations, and it makes it very difficult for the power user to use the advanced features which you have to go looking for if you want to do more than open email.

Apple IOS isn't consistent. It leads to different expectations depending on where you joined the franchise.... I don't want to have to deal with beats...yet despite the fact I buy my own music I actually have to be online to play shit that I own......

Windows 7 through 10 are Microsoft's version of dumbing things down-which has accelerated after XP. (Good luck setting up an FTP server from an original Xbox to your post XP PC using only Windows Exlporer).

PMSL

Windows 7 through 10 are Microsoft's version of dumbing things down-which has accelerated after XP. (Good luck setting up an FTP server from an original Xbox to your post XP PC using only Windows Exlporer).

yup, but behind the veneer there's still an OS that is capable of what you ask of it....Buggy as shit I'll grant you, but it is there.

IOS doesn't support anything their programmers haven't dreamt of. While you might stretch windows 10 to deal with a bug that hasn't been fixed, I'd challenge you to do the same with IOS....Not only if they haven't dreamt of it will it not work, but if they didn't have it pointed out 3 months ago in the development process then you're S.O.L.

Honestly, its because Apple products just work, and for the non tech savvy that is great. I cant tell you how many times a family member has brought me a borked PC asking me to fix it, and after working at both Microcenter and Best Buy I can tell you that my family isn't the only one that knows how to mess up a Windows based PC.

Then to add to this, Apple products work so seamlessly with each other, Airplay joins most devices together and it actually works, the app to configure an Airport/Time Machine just works(their is a F***ing app for this, this isn't the case with most routers), iPhoto/Pages/"Mac programs" are all compatible with all of their products(when intended to) and guess what, they just work(iTunes is a POS for some reason, can't explain that lol).

For me, I really don't like Apple products. I love my iPhone(not more than Android though), my iPods are great(minus iTunes, sadly required), and my GF's new Macbook is a great machine(other than the OS. OS X drives me insane). The things people hate about "PC's" are what I enjoy, I love tinkering and troubleshooting(I fix things till their broke, cause I enjoy it). If I were to buy my family computers or "portable devices", I would buy them Apple products solely for the purpose of not getting a phone call at 7:00 AM telling me that "Moms computers screen is blank while Dads WiFi cont connect".

Marketing, Hype /thread

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I think OSX is perfectly suited to power users, especially with how it handles lots of tasks with mission control, expose, spaces etc

Just because windows is a bitch to use, doenst mean OSX is dumbed down, it is just made easy and simple to do 

What do you mean by "I actually have to be online to play shit that I own......" 

I dont understand ??? You dont have to be online to play music transferred to your iPhone/iPad or Mac.....

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Something apple has done since the origonal mac...The programs have not only made the best of the hardware they've also been integrated so well with everything else the computer runs that it just works with each other....

Windows while a corporate decision has always been open source in mentality which mens certain programs do no play well with each other.

Despite any hipster proclivities apple has always locked down their programming to such a stage that until recently if you didn't pay the licensing fee you had no access to apple assets for your programming. recently they've unlocked the basics, but you still have to pay serious money to optimise a program for IOS.