[Build Log] Green With Envy

Mushious

IFV5LrS.jpg

Heyoo peoples!

So I'm moving home pretty darn soon and can finally move my computer out from the horrid little corner that it's stuck in and I was thinking I may as well go ahead and make it awesome at the same time.

Here's the rig I'm working with:

CPU: i5 4690K 

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Superclocked ACX

Mobo: ASUS Z97-A

RAM: Mushkin Blackline FrostByte 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1600

PSU: Seasonic X-Series V3 650W

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 120GB

Storage: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda

The theme I'll be running with are Changelings. Shape shifting bug-like villains from the TV show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (yeah yeah). Primary colours I'll be working with will be turquoise/green and black and the finished build will feature commissioned art from one of the fandom's many talented artists.

The case I'm working with is a black Fractal Design Define R4. I've been running it for a few months in it's current state, really excited to finally have a chance to make it stand out.

Here's how it currently looks: (excuse potato photos, all I have is my Z3, no decent lighting)

Setup:
rhL1HAo.jpg

The Rig:
evvBTmz.jpg

To buy:

-3x Noctua NF-A14 Obtained!

-Cable Sleeving Obtained!

-Perspex Sheet (for PSU shroud) Obtained!

-LED lighting Obtained!

-Other stuff I've forgotten

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

-Other stuff I've forgotten

The usual cover-all... :D

What's the idea for the art you've got commissioned?

+1 for My Little Pony!! BRONIES UNITE!! :D

Looking sweet btw :)

The usual cover-all... :D

What's the idea for the art you've got commissioned?

Going for a Changeling swarm attacking Canterlot which I'll most likely print on vinyl and stick on the PSU shroud (which is gonna look something like this):

42e0a9b06b.png

Green With Envy

Going for a Changeling swarm attacking Canterlot which I'll most likely print on vinyl and stick on the PSU shroud (which is gonna look something like this):

That should look interesting.

Aha here he is! Goodluck buddy! It sure is a nice idea and I like the color idea! I'm waiting to see the final :D

The X Desk«BuildLog»

.:Custom Watercooled Desk - Gaming Cave:.

Feel free to take a look, I would highly appreciate it.

Small update...

Fans!

I've just had a horrible realization, you can't remove the fan blades on Noctua fans as they are glued on. No matter, I know exactly how I'm going to wok this one out.

DSC_0065.JPG

Green With Envy

Cut the side panel for the window today, went a bit crazy with the angle grinder (was gonna use a plasma cutter at work but the smallest it can cut is 50mm, would have left me with weird rounded corners), botched a couple of corners as a result. Had to fill with bog before painting. Turned out alright though. Window is in and the sealant is curing overnight, should be nice.

All photos courtesy of my Sony Potato Z3

Oops

3BGiCKn.jpg

Gutted the drive cages, case is surprisingly strong without them, no wobble unless some decent pressure is applied.

nDcpQ5c.jpg

So much green (may have applied it a little thick, we'll see).

POGu1v5.jpg

Tinned food makes for a great weight. Put a sheet of film down so I don't wind up getting silicone all over my table...

Zc2Qghu.jpg

Green With Envy

It's not until you put a custom side panel on a machine that you realise how badass it looks. More updates on Wednesday, work time.

Green With Envy

• 3 weeks later...

Bit of downtime on this (sorry), wrecked my first two attempts at making the PSU shroud, bought another sheet of plexiglass and will give it a go next week or so. Window looks fantastic, gives so much visibility.

SN0YAed.jpg

Kinda broke one of the Noctua fans when attempting a paint job (how about we don't speak about that) soooooo won't try painting the others, will just have to live with it (although, I do have a neat idea for the CPU fans).

Babbu edit: LEDs and Arduino controller [for said LEDs] are on their way! Now I just need to get that darn shroud sorted.

Edited by Mushious

Green With Envy

Nice clear view! Me likey likey :D

The X Desk«BuildLog»

.:Custom Watercooled Desk - Gaming Cave:.

Feel free to take a look, I would highly appreciate it.

Nice clear view! Me likey likey :D

It's a bit rough around the edges, didn't sand it back enough when I painted, not overly noticable though. Gonna be nice once the lighting and PSU shroud are in (lights have been ordered, arduino kit gogo!).

Build news: So my primary physical drive failed last night, crashed and burned majestically. Not bad for a 11 year old drive. Thankfully it was running 'enough' to let me migrate all my data to my spare.

-Arduino Micro + Neopixel kit on it's way, going to have a bit of fun with this one.

-Attempt #3 at the PSU shroud will begin Thursday, don't exactly feel like showing my colossal failures from the first two attempts. My wallet doesn't either.

-New fan is on it's way, going with a 2000 RPM Noctua Industrial because they're black and it'll be hardly noticed unlike the cream ones on the cooler (but I have a plan for those).

-Sleeved cables on their way (too chicken to sleeve them myself plus current cables are horrid plastic things), hopefully they get the colours right, damn thigns are expensive >.>

Green With Envy

Stuff is happening, omg.

PSU shroud cut and glued, decided to not bend the new sheet, given how bad the last one turned out.

otaZh7G.jpg

Cables should turn up tomorrow, LEDs in a few days. Woo! No ETA on the art yet, artist has the flu.

Green With Envy

Wee update. Lights and arduino micro arrived, had a bit of fun with them until my PSU shorted (onboard surge guard woohoo). Cables arrive Thursday, courier tried to deliver but wanted a signature and I wasn't home. =/

Arduino Micro + Neopixel LEDs from ADAfruit.

0pPSoMq.jpg

Testing Neopixels... right before the surge.

Here's the whole strip at work, no more surging either woo!

Green With Envy

Another small update, cables arrived! All I need now is the art and will be ready to throw the entire thing together, super excited.

Oh yeah, been expecting these for a while super excited.

1JGMiKK.jpg

Really impressed with the presentation.

AfwRIqm.jpg

Greeeeen!

XFXfS5n.jpg

sc5KRG5.jpg

Some cable tidy things too that I ordered weeks prior (but turned up the same day, funny).

vSU738V.jpg

Almost there! Woo!

Green With Envy

OooOoooO green is one of my favorite colors excited for the ending presentation!  :D

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

OooOoooO green is one of my favorite colors excited for the ending presentation!   :D

Me too, might have to get more cable combs though, CPU cable looks great but video card is pretty messy (using 8-cable combs instead of 6s). Really just need to get the LEDs in and the art printed onto vinyl and applied to the shroud. Kinda embarrassed to post pictures of the shroud in place at the moment.

Green With Envy

Me too, might have to get more cable combs though, CPU cable looks great but video card is pretty messy (using 8-cable combs instead of 6s). Really just need to get the LEDs in and the art printed onto vinyl and applied to the shroud. Kinda embarrassed to post pictures of the shroud in place at the moment.

LEDs should be easy. 

Art vinyl seems hard though.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

LEDs should be easy. 

Art vinyl seems hard though.

It'll be reasonably easy, my landlord owns a printing company, just need to print to size, cut and apply to the shroud. The vinyl I'm looking at has some pretty strong adhesive. Making sure the LEDs are effective is my main concern.

Green With Envy

• 2 weeks later...
QCYo7Mw.jpg

Redid the paste while I had this thing out of the case, goddamn that is sexy without the cooler

YntqS5F.jpg

And say hello to my new rear exhaust. Oh baby.

Haven't heard any word from my artist yet, they'r pretty darn busy though, lost of work to get through. Really just need that and then I can wrap this up (did I say that earlier? I think I said that earlier).

Green With Envy

Cant wait to show my friend gabi the finnished product. She will ask if its for sale. (BTW shes rich, and will probs pay alot xD )

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Cant wait to show my friend gabi the finnished product. She will ask if its for sale. (BTW shes rich, and will probs pay alot xD )

I doubt I'd get even close to half what I paid for it even when completed, parts over here are so much more expensive.

Green With Envy

I doubt I'd get even close to half what I paid for it even when completed, parts over here are so much more expensive.

No... like...

her family is rich enough that they have a fountian in thier emtry way made of solid gold. No joke.

She's bananas for MLP. As am i (im just super chill and quiet about my interests usually, other than music and tech most people hardly know me)

Her monthly allowance should pay off the build. xD how much the 780titanium cost you?

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

No... like...

her family is rich enough that they have a fountian in thier emtry way made of solid gold. No joke.

She's bananas for MLP. As am i (im just super chill and quiet about my interests usually, other than music and tech most people hardly know me)

Her monthly allowance should pay off the build. xD how much the 780titanium cost you?

$1079.95 NZD ($799 USD).

26rDRPM.png

Green With Envy