CM3588 with SATA adapters drives not detected

Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
14 minutes ago, tirehabitat said:

Welp. Obviously not... So the U.2 I have an ssd connected to isn't going to work? I thought U.2 had SATA connectivity.

[double checks]

You're right, it does indeed support 4xPCIe and 2x SATA lanes, just like M.2 can.  But M.2 often only supports PCIe as SATA needs a SATA controller on the motherboard and usually shares with physical SATA connectors (you can't use those connectors when an M.2 SATA SSD is installed).

The Friendlyelec CM3588 Nas Kit I believe only supports PCIe so you'd need an M.2 SATA controller to run those drives.  Notice what someone did here:

I have the Friendlyelec CM3588 Nas Kit that was in a recent video and I need help trying to troubleshoot why 2 drives aren't being detected on Openmediavault

I have x2 4tb Crucial P3 that are detected just fine

the other 2 drives are SATA SSDs Crucial MX500s connected to the M.2 with a U.2 adapter and external power.

the leds for both undetected drives are lit up.

"lsblk" does not display either of them (only logged in as default pi user)

I don't know too much about linux stuff or terminal commands for OMV

16 minutes ago, tirehabitat said:

I have the Friendlyelec CM3588 Nas Kit that was in a recent video and I need help trying to troubleshoot why 2 drives aren't being detected on Openmediavault

I have x2 4tb Crucial P3 that are detected just fine

the other 2 drives are SATA SSDs Crucial MX500s connected to the M.2 with a U.2 adapter and external power.

the leds for both undetected drives are lit up.

"lsblk" does not display either of them (only logged in as default pi user)

I don't know too much about linux stuff or terminal commands for OMV

What "SATA adapters"?

You know U.2 is not SATA, right?  Its just another PCIe connection like M.2 for connecting physically larger enterprise drives.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

What "SATA adapters"?

You know U.2 is not SATA, right?  Its just another PCIe connection like M.2 for connecting physically larger enterprise drives.

Welp. Obviously not... So the U.2 I have an ssd connected to isn't going to work? I thought U.2 had SATA connectivity.

14 minutes ago, tirehabitat said:

[double checks]

You're right, it does indeed support 4xPCIe and 2x SATA lanes, just like M.2 can.  But M.2 often only supports PCIe as SATA needs a SATA controller on the motherboard and usually shares with physical SATA connectors (you can't use those connectors when an M.2 SATA SSD is installed).

The Friendlyelec CM3588 Nas Kit I believe only supports PCIe so you'd need an M.2 SATA controller to run those drives.  Notice what someone did here:

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

16 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

[double checks]

That's unfortunate. The U.2 adapter does not have a sata controller it seems. I really don't know why I didn't just use the adapter they have in the post and was mentioned in the video to begin with. I ordered one now so hopefully that's all I need to solve this.

Appreciate the info!

23 minutes ago, tirehabitat said:

That's unfortunate. The U.2 adapter does not have a sata controller it seems. I really don't know why I didn't just use the adapter they have in the post and was mentioned in the video to begin with. I ordered one now so hopefully that's all I need to solve this.

Appreciate the info!

Yeah it seems the point of that board is to be a bare bones as possible, just splitting off the PCIe lanes with very little native IO.

M.2 to U.2 naturally wont include any conversion, as it would then no longer support PCIe (the SATA controller would need a lane and an M.2 slot is unlikely to support bifurcation to allow the other lanes to still be used for something else), its primary purpose.