I want a framework microserver

I'm currently looking to upgrade my nas again, I use as a whole house media server, plex, jellyfin, it does the transcoding, I use it as photo storage, hass, git server, it runs radarr ect... I had to upgrade a couple of years ago because my old server couldn't handle x265, now I have more people using it simultaneously, and I'm assuming av1 is going to become mainstream soon enough. I'm always playing catch up, I prefer all in one, compact, quiet solutions, I would like a 2u full server, but I don't have the space and I don't want to pay for the electricity plus it's over kill. 

My ideal solution

I want a frame work based microserver similar to a hp proliant microserver. I want a small, powerful, quiet server, that's fully upgradable. When something new comes out I want to swap it's gpu, if I need more cpu, I can just swap it in, without have a massive server, or massive power requirements, if I upgrade my laptop I can pass it down to the nas at no extra cost, I could add multiple network ports or any io I need, I could even add ports that could allow the use of jbods.

I'm not looking for hardware suggestions, I just thought this would be an ideal option for me if it were to exist. 

-= Topic moved to Servers, NAS, and Home Lab =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Frame work has motherboards that are designed for laptops and can be repurposed for desktops.

Not much of a stretch to use the same board, plug it into a backplane to connect SATA and NVME drives, and then power + chassis for a small NAS/server box.

I don't get what a framework board would bring here over a ITX board. The IO is pretty limited on the laptops, so no PCIe slots, sata ports, onboard network or other IO that would be nice in a NAS. ESP when you start getting 4+ HDDs the ITX sized boards won't use much more space than a framework board so space savings is pretty small. If you don't need HDD bays, I'd just get a mini PC. Yea it comes with a case, but compared to a laptop, its not really worth keeping the formfactor the same so the case can be re-used between upgrades as the cases are a small part of the total cost.