Medieval Games Legitimize White Supremacy

Real_PhillBert

This article came up on a different forum I frequent and I felt the need to share. Try not to laugh too hard while reading it.

If you like playing medieval-themed video games, you might not be just some harmless nerd — you might be a nerd who is also kind of a white supremacist. At least that’s the opinion of Victoria Cooper, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Leeds in England, who presented a paper titled “Playing Politics: Exploring Nationalism and Conservatism in Fantasy Video Games” at the International Medieval Congress earlier this month. “The Middle Ages is a space where white supremacy is legitimized,” Cooper said, according to an article on Medievalists.net. “The maintenance of white privilege. The gamer community use ‘historical facts’ to legitimize this kind of literacy.”

I really dont understand how anyone takes these articles seriously.

Now, I don’t play video games. I don’t like any of them, so I don’t know exactly how the people who do like them decide which ones they like. Still, I highly doubt that the people who like medieval games like them because they hate minorities and diversity and the games allow them to escape to a white-power fantasy land “free of multiculturalism.”

Something about someone who does not partake in an activity, yet is still more than willing to sit back and judge those who do, bothers me. A lot. 

Perhaps we should just ban video games altogether. After all, it’s not like the people who play them can be expected to separate what’s going on in the game with the way the real world works.

This statement makes me think this guy is either a nutter, or just trying to stir the pot. This whole political correctness thing is getting way out of hand. 

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/421495/medieval-video-games-white-supremacy

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

If you play CoD, you might just be a soldier. If you play Forza, you might just be a race car driver. If you play Left 4 Dead, you might just be a zombie apocalypse survivor. Tell that Doctor to stick to what he or she knows best, which appears to be nothing. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Another totally useless study.

I'm gonna make a study saying that people who aren't black nor asian are probably white.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I once played surgeon simulator, so I'm a surgeon now. /s

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming CPU: i5-4570 RAM: 2x4gb Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 PSU: EVGA GS 650 CPU cooler: Be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 Case: Define R5 Storage: Crucial MX100 512GB

After looking at the article, i noticed they used a picture from Skyrim. A game that has an entire race dedicated to black people, and the blackest race of all, the Dunmer (dark elves). Now, i am racist against the dark elves, because skyrim belongs to the nords, so they need to get their dominion out of skyrim. However, i primarily play a sword/shield redguard and i am the whitest shade of white that you can be without being transparent. I take it the person that came to the conclusion that these games are for racists, probably has never played any of the games. Most fantasy games offer enough class customization to cover every spectrum of the human race, and then goes into elves and other fantasy races. Does this mean that players on World of Warcraft that kill Dwarf players, hate little people? Come on, it is all fantasy. None of it is real.

You know you have a problem when you are a Ph.D. candidate and can't differentiate between fantasy and reality.

I saw Sargon's bit on this... sometime I just don't understand SJWs and how they can infiltrate society so much...

I love the guy, but watching his videos only makes me incomprehensibly sad to see the kind of state of affair we're in.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

That comment about "banning video games" was made by the reporter, not the Ph.D. Candidate she was siting and it was most likely made in jest.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

I saw Sargon's bit on this... sometime I just don't understand SJWs and how they can infiltrate society so much...

I love the guy, but watching his videos only makes me incomprehensibly sad to see the kind of state of affair we're in.

It's because they were never allowed to find like-minded insane people so easily before the internet, and now that they can; it's chaos.

Fourth-wave feminism is literally just misandry.  Equality has turned to people wanting to be above others, and all men are clearly evil because a percentile of a percentile are screwed up enough in first-world societies to force themselves on fellow Human-beings.

Now, I don’t play video games. I don’t like any of them
Perhaps we should just ban video games altogether. After all, it’s not like the people who play them can be expected to separate what’s going on in the game with the way the real world works.

um..

How-to-quit-your-job_o_90968.jpg

"When you're in high school you should be doing things, about which you could never tell your parents!"

um..

I think that last bit was sarcasm. At least, it had a heavy sarcastic tone when i was reading it.

That comment about "banning video games" was made by the reporter, not the Ph.D. Candidate she was siting and it was most likely made in jest.

I agree.  Wasn't the author's intent to criticize the paper Victoria Cooper wrote?  The final quote OP refers to the article's author being sarcastic, it's not literal.  The second quote OP refers to is the author conceding to the fact that she doesn't know a lot on the subject but still doesn't buy the notion that this "study" (which it isn't a study by any scientific definition, it's a dumb paper written a Ph.D student) properly connects medieval video games to white supremacy.

The point of view of the article's author is being misinterpreted as the author of the paper.  Semantics, I know, but there seems to be some confusion here...

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

The point of view of the articles author is being misinterpreted as the author of the paper.  Semantics, I know, but there seems to be some confusion here...

I know right?  It's the kind of thing that makes me concerned about the average reading level on this site.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Oh for crying out loud!

Just stare angrily and move along, that seems the most appropriate for this kind of 'journalism' or 'articles'.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

I know right?  It's the kind of thing that makes me concerned about the average reading level on this site.

To be completely fair, the article was written poorly too.  I could understand the confusion of opinions on the reader's parts.

I practice and study Buddhism, admire art, love cats, build computers and enjoy civil debate.

I don't get it. There was a lot of white on white violence during this time period as well.

Either way their statements destroy any legitimacy of their arguments.

If you play CoD, you might just be a soldier. If you play Forza, you might just be a race car driver. If you play Left 4 Dead, you might just be a zombie apocalypse survivor. Tell that Doctor to stick to what he or she knows best, which appears to be nothing. 

/rekt

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Great job sharing a garbage piece of "journalism", now they got even more attention and ad revenue - which is the whole business model of their business

Great job sharing a garbage piece of "journalism", now they got even more attention and ad revenue - which is the whole business model of their business

Right. Because understanding what the people are saying that oppose you is over rated right?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

After looking at the article, i noticed they used a picture from Skyrim. A game that has an entire race dedicated to black people, and the blackest race of all, the Dunmer (dark elves). Now, i am racist against the dark elves, because skyrim belongs to the nords, so they need to get their dominion out of skyrim. However, i primarily play a sword/shield redguard and i am the whitest shade of white that you can be without being transparent. I take it the person that came to the conclusion that these games are for racists, probably has never played any of the games. Most fantasy games offer enough class customization to cover every spectrum of the human race, and then goes into elves and other fantasy races. Does this mean that players on World of Warcraft that kill Dwarf players, hate little people? Come on, it is all fantasy. None of it is real.

You know you have a problem when you are a Ph.D. candidate and can't differentiate between fantasy and reality.

Are you a stealth archer by chance?

giflxxS.png

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Are you a stealth archer by chance?

giflxxS.png

I mostly use a sword and shield. However, i am pretty good at stealth archer, being a black nord and all. The only time i use stealth archery is at night, for obvious reasons. 

This statement makes me think this guy is either a nutter, or just trying to stir the pot. This whole political correctness thing is getting way out of hand. 

t02tRIA.jpg

>inb4 "don't quote OP"

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)