Experiences with non-techies

My mate needed to buy a laptop, solely for playing games... 

Firstly he ignores my advice of just get a desktop.

Then he ignores my advice which was "Buy it from msy" (they are by far the cheapest place around to buy a laptop)..

Next day on the bus coming home from work, i get a phone call... "Hey i bought a laptop from JB Hi-FI".

I didn't say anything bad he did choose a rather good laptop, but i cant get over the fact it was about $200 more then what it would have cost if he took my advice.

What laptop did he buy? I guarantee you I can find a better one :P Some of the best laptops are pretty rare and I doubt your friend could have found it on his own.

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I actually do have a story now I'm thinking about it.. Let me sum it up A coworker of mine (I work at a supermarket) sees himself as a tech fanatic. Once he was talking about a build he wanted to do. He started talking about getting all top tier Asus ROG stuff, 7970's, H100 (at the time).. All massively overpriced stuff. And.. four 250GB harddrives in a Raid 0. So I asked him why would you do that? Raid 0 is a stupid raid, just get one big fast drive and a SSD for boot and stuff, much more reliable that way. But he didn't move one bit. Some time after that we we're having a break and we started talking computer again. I asked him why he wants to go AMD in stead if Nvidia for a GPU. He replied: ''No, Nvidia cards are made by Intel, and I dislike Intel!''. I told him Intel only makes integrated graphics and not discrete ones and that Nvidia and Intel are in no way affiliated, but he wouldn't change his mind. After that he started talking about coolers. He said he had a H100 once before. ''Yeah, that thing is so nice the temps of my CPU we're lower than the temperature of my room!'' I tried to teach him a small lesson in physics on why that would be entirely impossible, but he kept yammering about. One time after that he started talking about thermal compound and how he always spreads it over the entire CPU instead of a single blob in the mid. I tried to tell him why that method is shit, to which he replied ''I always do that and I have the lowest temps of all my friends!'' (Obviously made up). Usually I don't care if people believe things that aren't optimal/true/good in any way, but this guy was so immensely dense it was unbelievable, and a complete tool too. Every word you tried to throw at him just bounced off.

has a friend who swore that a ps3 had more graphical power than any pc. even up to last year he was saying that a ps3 still puts better looking graphics than what a pc can do... he eventually changed his mind after actually getting a ps3 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Built a computer for the father recently, He is fairly clued about computers and knows how to at least combat viruses. He only wants to use Outlook 2003 and can limit to IE. The next best thing he does for his bloatware free computer is that he installs a bunch of programs using bloatware installers.  :wacko:  After He went away I unisntalled them and told him to check the pages first.

Three days later he tells me the computer has slowed down: 30 separate programs open in the background, all bloatware...  :o  

Golly, I sure hope that my internets are all in a safe place...

This morning I was helping my mom fill out a form online. I found out that every time she types a URL in her browser she enters it into yahoo search and then clicks the first result.  :mellow:

Teachers saying to never use "Save" but only "Save As" because save doesn't work apparently. 

I guess they can't grasp the concept that Save saves the file where it was last save and only asks for a directory the first time. They think because it doesn't ask for a directory it doesn't work. You have no idea how many times I had to try and explain how the Save button of all things works... *facepalm*

I never used the save as button in school I swear.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I am merely moderately above average savvy with computers, yet that shit garners the attention of all my less technically inclined friends, family and even one of my previous bosses who all wanted me to fix their computer which usually involves deleting all the bloatware and toolbars and god forbid some god damn smiley pointers they got on some random website. Rarely if ever is it an actual problem with the computer as supposed to it's owner ruining it with their dumb decisions.

I swear, we should all just go back to basics with some people, teach them that the internet is a series of tubes that's friends with the electricity tube, and when you turn them off they die a little...

I don't know if that would help or make it worse O_O

I don't know if that would help or make it worse O_O

The state some people are in, it'd prolly help

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

For me, I just hate when people claim they know more than what they actually know,  just say you don't know it's fine we've all been there,

Or here's the best, Claim that their little console is better than a pc... What an absolute joke.

For me, I just hate when people claim they know more than what they actually know,  just say you don't know it's fine we've all been there,

Or here's the best, Claim that their little console is better than a pc... What an absolute joke.

I like the sound of borrowing a disk, putting in the console and just play the games, without configuration or accounts or cd keys and shit. I also like the fact I play it on a big TV while sitting on a couch. Its not convenient to use a PC on a huge TV while sitting on a couch....

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

I like the sound of borrowing a disk, putting in the console and just play the games, without configuration or accounts or cd keys and shit. I also like the fact I play it on a big TV while sitting on a couch. Its not convenient to use a PC on a huge TV while sitting on a couch....

If you play a PS3, it's not config free. You have to install games. At least a portion of them, or if your system software is outdated, you're forced to update it off the disc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My family think that I can "turn off the internet" (I just turn off the wireless on the router). That and them using terms wrong. 

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

My best experience was probably when somebody asked where they could get some WiFi cables for their new router! I have to admit that English was not their first language, but I still couldn't stop laughing!!

If you play a PS3, it's not config free. You have to install games. At least a portion of them, or if your system software is outdated, you're forced to update it off the disc.

Well that sucks. I hope the ps4 is not like that. I already lost hope in the xbox one after seeing the reveal event. Why can't they learn from the xbox 360,..

People thinking they can download RAM....

Yeah my teacher started panicking when we asked if we could do it.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Well that sucks. I hope the ps4 is not like that. I already lost hope in the xbox one after seeing the reveal event. Why can't they learn from the xbox 360,..

That'd be nice if PS4 had silent automatic updates.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I like the sound of borrowing a disk, putting in the console and just play the games, without configuration or accounts or cd keys and shit. I also like the fact I play it on a big TV while sitting on a couch. Its not convenient to use a PC on a huge TV while sitting on a couch....

You like THOSE particular aspects of a console, and that's fine just don't claim that it's better than a pc because it's just not.

You seem to like the simplicity of a console, Um.. Steam? Have you tried it?

A pc can be used on a big Tv screen, and don't claim it's difficult or inconvenient just have steam start on windows startup and default to big picture mode, connect a controller (wired or wireless, ps3 xbox or even wii mote whatever you want) and you're set. Works like a charm

A PC makes up for not having used games in all around LOWER prices, and the amazing bundles such as the pay what you want HumbleBundle.

A PC can be used from the couch.

Not to mention the customization and (mod-ability? is that even a real word? well now it is) of pc.

A PC does what a console does better+much more.

Oh and one last thing, grab one of those, http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369439819&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+keyboard+touchpad   and you can use a pc from the couch for more than gaming.

I'm not here to debate whether a console is better than a pc or vice versa, If you prefer a console, FINE just as I said, don't claim it's better because it's not.

My parents.

Watching them both try to use the computer downstairs is infuriating.....my mother still can't figure out how to open and send emails after I have showed her a million times and she types like 1 letter with 1 finger every 5 seconds or so because she keeps forgetting where the letters are and has to look around the keyboard for the letter she wants.  She also doesn't understand the concept of clicking on things ONCE to open them instead of clicking a million times.

My dad uses computers everyday at his work and at home to do work, namely office and firefox.  He still cannot figure out how to do most things in office even something as simple as copying something from one document to another.  I have no clue how he does his job on time.....also my dad still hasn't figured out what bookmarks are and types out every url manually, doesn't even use google search.

<_<

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

The ones I hate are the ones who think they know about tech but really don't but still have attitude :P

For context, this conversation is taking place on a video of some alienware desktop... don't ask what I was doing there. The guy is probably a troll but you know I don't mind wasting my time :) I finished my classes for that day and besides, I was enjoying myself :P

atom608 1 month ago

Are you fucking kidding me? 6gb of 1333mhz ram.... Way to cheap out dell.... Like fucking hell 6 FUCKING GIGS!?! AND ITS NOT EVEN 1600MHZ RAM!! WTF

Rusty Able 2 weeks ago

Lol you're fucking stupid

atom608 2 weeks ago

Explain to me how. I broght a toshiba laptop for $800 and it had 1gb gfx 6gb ram and that was a laptop and only $800

GlenwingKyros 6 days ago

So what? RAM doesn't do any processing. How much RAM your system or graphics card have has basically nothing to do with performance. If I gave you a system with 8GB of DDR3 1333 and another system with 64GB of DDR3 2400 that was otherwise the same, I guarantee you would not be able to tell the difference.

nad92422 4 days ago

uhh yeah it does

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

No, it doesn't. RAM is where the CPU stores data that it is actively working with.

nad92422 4 days ago

yeah it does

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

RAM does not do any processing. It is volatile, temporary data storage. bit.ly\10lZaKk. Show me your sources that tell you RAM does processing work. They are wrong.

nad92422 4 days ago

your sources are wrong everything on the internet is not true if you got to a actual college of technology no information is wrong what you learn

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

I'm a computer science major. How about an article by IBM for an educational institution? Read the second paragraph: bit.ly\12JyN6l

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

DRAM is made of individual cells each containing one transistor and one capacitor. The only thing they can do with 1 transistor is store one bit of data (either a value of 1 or 0). If you understood computer technology you would know that storing data is the only thing a DRAM module can do.

nad92422 4 days ago

thats not real looks like a cheap made webiste

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

It's the website of Carnegie Mellon University. I'm still waiting for you to tell me what makes you think RAM does any processing.

nad92422 4 days ago

faster ram can make a difference

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

Not on a gaming machine.  Games are not RAM intensive. They stress primarily the GPU, which uses its own dedicated RAM. Benchmarks show again and again that going from DDR3 1600 to DDR3 2400 only results in a few fps difference, not even close to double digits. Which is exactly what I said originally. Any difference will likely be unnoticeable.

nad92422 4 days ago

who said anything about gaming im talking about overall

nad92422 4 days ago

im still waiting for you to tell me how you think 1333 is better than 2400 you will notice a difference even if it is small

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

I don't think 1333 is better than 2400. I don't know why you think that, since I never said that. What I said was: "My point was that that he was complaining about the RAM (6GB DDR3 1333) when any increase would likely be unnoticeable anyway". And no, the difference between 50 and 55fps is not something you will notice.

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

Who said anything about gaming? We're commenting on a video about a gaming machine. My original comment, which you initiated this conversation in response to, was directed toward someone complaining about the RAM in the machine featured in this video, and so my comments are in the context of RAM on this machine, which is intended for gaming.

nad92422 4 days ago

i never said anything about 50 to 55 fps

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

You said you would notice a difference. That's the difference. Actually not even that. bit.ly\ZQmBQ4

nad92422 4 days ago

im talking about over al..l but you will notice a difference in games a bit

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

Overall? Even then not really. Only specific applications that are very heavy on RAM (content creation, mostly) will see any benefit from faster RAM. Anyone besides content creation professionals won't see a benefit above 8GB of standard DDR3 1333/1600.

nad92422 4 days ago

you would notice a huge difference on the system maybe not as much is games 

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

I've found that general system responsiveness benefits greatly from a faster hard drive; an SSD makes things much smoother. Once it's in the RAM there's really no slowdown. I never noticed a difference even between DDR2 800 and DDR3 1600 on my personal systems. Considering the system does not load the entire OS into the RAM at once, any delays opening menus or other "system responsiveness" slowdowns are due to hard drive access times and loading from the hard drive into the RAM, not the RAM itself.

nad92422 4 days ago

yeah overall 2400 is still faster than 1333

GlenwingKyros 4 days ago

Yes, on paper. But it's much more expensive and there are only limited situations where that speed comes into play. Coming back to my original response to the other guy's comment, faster RAM for a gaming machine is something that is not needed and does not matter.

nad92422 4 days ago

i noticed a difference

nad92422 4 days ago

thats what he thinks

At this point I stopped replying because I was starting to have a hard time figuring out what he was saying :P

What.

The.

Hell.

Why...... Oh why.......…

my aunt who is constantly complaining about her slow Pentium 4 computer, and when people tell her to buy a new one already, she says "no its fine."

lol i agree have some people like that in my life

Dude exactly! or I try to tell them to buy a cheap laptop if they want to game, because they heat up easy and just build a PC with the money you would save from buying a gaming laptop.

THAK YOU!!!

mine is when i try to explain basic computer consepts to people, like what a cpu cooler is, or what the difference between mechanical and membrane is. although quite a few of my friends are well educated techies, i still have those ignorant friends that think alienware is the best or that are convinced that there aren't any good pcs for the price of a new ps4 or xbox 1, even though they could save a lot of money on steam's summer sale. well at least they accept the fact that consoles are weaker than pcs, some of my brother's friends think consoles have better graphics! (i'm not joking about that... they actually do! i think i'll have to have my bro invite them so i can play some demanding titles infront of their eyes:D)