Experiences with non-techies

When I asked the guy at best buy if they had any mechanical keyboards he got confused and pointed me over to where the pianos were. 

Well if it's an E-Piano it's technically also a mechanical keyboard...

Christopher Kruse | Webdeveloper (Interface & Applications)

i7 3770k (3233C Batch) @ 4.2ghz | Asus P8Z77 WS | Gigabyte 780 Ti OC  | Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 32GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB +2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + Samsung 830 256GB + 4x WD30EFRX, 2x WD30EZRX, 1xWD20EARS | Corsair AX750 + Bitfenix Extensions | Fractal Design Define XL R2 + Xigmatec 3in3 Hotswap Cage | Noctua NH-D15 + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, 5x Noctua NF-P14s redux-1500 PWM | Peripherals: Logitech G502 + Corsair K70 RGB + Red 40A-L O-Rings | Sound: Denon AVR 2807 via HDMI + 2x Nubert nuPro A-20 + 1x B&W CC6 Center | SoundMagic E10 | Jabra Speak 410

You obviously haven't played anything from Bethesda.

They definitely need some tweaking before they're reasonably stable (4GB Enablers, ini tweaks and such) but I've never heard of a Bethesda game causing BSODs even without those.

Yesterday my dad brought a ipad. Guess what we already have an ipad. Now we have two, we even have an imac for £1300 as of which my £399 dell insprion was more powerful. Next hes gonna buy the Ibin, should i kill him now or later.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Hey Guys,

I'm not that knowledgeable in respect to Hardware components but I can say atleast I have decent enough knowledge to help out my friends in buying some decent parts, I'm more knowledgeable in terms of Software and Networking, but since my friends don't really have the patience to actually go to tech forums like this and read reviews and stuff they all come to me for help, I always try and choose the best components according to the best of my knowledge and pick out the best components, they will all be like oh awesome bro and end up going to some retailer and buying cheap shit for an expensive amount! Really pisses me off. All listen to me blabber on for like an hour or so and then completely ignore everything! Thankfully my Dad is a proper tech savvy guy and knows his stuff. It's great coming on to forums like this and expanding your knowledge, I really learnt a lot here, more people should take the time to sit and go through these forums. 

One of my friends actually thinks of himself as a techie, Although he just got a new gaming pc and although i advised him he only needed an i5, he chose the i7 3820 so he could overclock -.-

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

Oh I just remembered a time when I had this friend who told us all he was rich and stuff and tried to convince me that he had this new GPU which was so big that he had to cut a Hole on the side (not the front mind you) to ensure it would fit. Also he could apparently play GTA San Andreas on like Super HD clarity (I'm Not Kidding) and everything was like super clear!!! This was back in 2008 something. He also tried to tell us that his system was custom outfitted with an Air Conditioning Unit, and when I asked how, he told it was custom made. God! We actually went to his house to see his system and the thing was a pre-built HP desktop which could not run Microsoft Flight Simulator X properly. We controlled our laughter so bad. 

Oh I just remembered a time when I had this friend who told us all he was rich and stuff and tried to convince me that he had this new GPU which was so big that he had to cut a Hole on the side (not the front mind you) to ensure it would fit. Also he could apparently play GTA San Andreas on like Super HD clarity (I'm Not Kidding) and everything was like super clear!!! This was back in 2008 something. He also tried to tell us that his system was custom outfitted with an Air Conditioning Unit, and when I asked how, he told it was custom made. God! We actually went to his house to see his system and the thing was a pre-built HP desktop which could not run Microsoft Flight Simulator X properly. We controlled our laughter so bad. 

When did Cartman move to India?

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.

My mom asking me how she moves files from one folder to another. 

My mum asked me how to left click. I nearly pissed myself from laughter.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The following is a conversation i had with someone, yesterday.

Him:   "When i get my new iphone, i'm launching this old one into a wall"

Me:    "...  That's awfully destructive and a waste, don't ya think?"

Him:   "Yeah! It'll be really cool!"

Me:    "Why would you even want a new iphone anyway, there's phones that are way better on the market"

Him:   "Because iphones are the best phones you can get"

Me:    "Did... Did you hear anything i just said?"

Him:   "Yup!"

Me:    "So, my HTC One isn't as good as an iphone?"

Me:    "Yup to it being worse or yup to it being better?"

Him:   "Worse"

Me:   Ph6Ei.gif

Me     "..... Okay"

For the first time in my life, i actually made that face.

I then calmly walked away, trying not to burst out in laughter.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

The following is a conversation i had with someone, yesterday.

Him:   "When i get my new iphone, i'm launching this old one into a wall"

Me:    "...  That's awfully destructive and a waste, don't ya think?"

Him:   "Yeah! It'll be really cool!"

Me:    "Why would you even want a new iphone anyway, there's phones that are way better on the market"

Him:   "Because iphones are the best phones you can get"

Me:    "Did... Did you hear anything i just said?"

Me:    "So, my HTC One isn't as good as an iphone?"

Me:    "Yup to it being worse or yup to it being better?"

Him:   "Worse"

Me:   Ph6Ei.gif

Me     "..... Okay"

For the first time in my life, i actually made that face.

I then calmly walked away, trying not to burst out in laughter.

Ha ha ha, Yay Castle reference, but seriously though, I would have made that face as well!

friend D When my "techie" friend came to me saying "i beat your overclock" when i overclocked his 3ghz athlon 640 to 3.3 on stock 1.4volts, he then comes back a  few days later saying "i beat your overclock" with a screen shot of it at 3.9, all he had done is read what the max voltage was (1.55) set that and then put the fsb to 260 without even touching the ram divider, ht, nb or anything and when i asked is it stable he replies "yeah it plays black ops fine"
this is on a 4+1 vrm board...

friend J when my other friend bought a phenom 975 for £125 (back in dec 2011) when i said buy a 955 because its the same chip, his excuse "yeah but i just wanna make sure it runs at that speed", hes happy hes now put the multi from 18 to 18.5 YAY 100MHZ OC!!!!, one morning, a bit hungover from the night before i got up before him and got it to 4.2 stable @1.525v within about 2 hours (inc 1 hour of prime 95)......

IM SO GLAD I REMEMBER THIS!, a friend of "friend D" was showing off his new galaxy s3 mini (which is a rebodied s2) after about a minute of him saying its "samsungs newest phone" and "it only cost him £350" when asking "ok what the specs of your phone" (lg Optimus 3D) i said "pretty much same as your but has a slightly bigger screen and about cost me half the price" i saw his face drop followed by "yeah but this is 1080p", i kid you not i cried on the floor laughing at that 1 for a good 5 minutes, hes now asking £140 for it a year later...wheras some places sell my phone for over £250 still.

friend T- was showing off to some people we know that his gaming pc (storm enforcer case, 7770, Crosshair5) has AMD's latest cpu..........its an engineering sample fx4100 bulldozer which even stock hits 90*c (how i have no idea), everyone still looks on in amazement at it....i want a gun, he also opposes me when i say that HTC screens break all the time, 6 out of 7 ive seen have (the other being a one-v)

here's one when i was a noob, my first phone was an optimus 540 (love lg now), and i couldnt work out how the sd card clip wouldnt stay down despite ive put the sd card in it loads of time before, i took it to the carphone warehouse and the young girl (i was 22 she was prob 20) looked at it, clicked it across and goes "there you go".....yeah, I know........

brother swears his pc is fine and worth a fortune cus he built it himself.......back in 2005 with a 2.8ghz pentium 4, a gig of ddr 400 ram a DFI infinity motherboard and a 256mb 9600pro with vista and a 200gb WD sata 1 hard drive, i remember him playing gta3 on it.

everything i hear come out of a guys mouth at maplin when talking to a customer, i wanna correct them but thatll kill my chances of checking (overpriced) stuff out.

most things that come out of customers mouths at cex, "dude check that graphics card out!!!!"-its a vanilla 550ti

oh to finish off..
paul (a friend of friend D) wanted to play a few games, nfs world, fifa 13... friend D said "your going to need to save and get a graphics card" but didnt go any further.
3 days later paul tells me and my friend he bought a graphics card and can we install it? it's a nvidia gt210....from maplin (£30) it could just play fifa 13 on minimum @720p with no crowd. (50in plasma with pixel gaps you can walk through).
hes now given up gaming and given it to me :P where its now in use in my server.

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

Yesterday my dad brought a ipad. Guess what we already have an ipad. Now we have two, we even have an imac for £1300 as of which my £399 dell insprion was more powerful. Next hes gonna buy the Ibin, should i kill him now or later.

Later, let him buy all the iCrap he desires, then sell it all and buy some decent stuff and keep the savings left over for a rainy day, or a car

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Later, let him buy all the iCrap he desires, then sell it all and buy some decent stuff and keep the savings left over for a rainy day, or a car

So i listened to your advice and sold the apple products. Im not gonna go into details but lats just say i can run Chess titans at 60fps now. 

Listen if you care.

I was trying to help a parent over the phone on how to backup there iphone before they sent it in for a screen replacement who was having trouble finding iTunes using the Windows 7 search function 

i got my first  "the xbox one and ps4 have 8 cores so there more power full than your PC" comment today! After doing the whole "not all cores are created equal" speach and pointing out that "even if it did work like that the consoles are 1.6ghz x 8 and my PC is 3ghz x 6, do that maths d**k" i then got "but the Xbox can play and record TV a PC can't". 

"but the Xbox can play and record TV a PC can't". 

That comment is wrong. PCs can do that through Windows Media Center.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I got called to someone's house to 'fix' IE 10.

I got there and was told that the 'E' wasn't on the Taskbar. 

I literally just had to pin IE to the taskbar again.

Easiest £10 made in 2 mins.

So. Not. Fair.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

Back in the 9th grade 2 other buddies of mine and myself started our own school project. Our project was to dismantle a computer, make our own case, and assemble the computer inside the case we built ourselves. For the longest time a friend of mine had been saying that he knows pretty much everything about computers. Turns out he didn't know anything, but i'll get back to that.I went to a very cheap-ass school, so there were always trouble with the infrastructure there, so as you probably guessed the computers at the school crashed all the time. Also note that all of the computers were "hooked up" for lack of a better term to ONE Server. This was a big school with around 200+ computers all hooked up to this one server. (Recipe for disaster). Since all of the computers were connected to the same server that would mean that if there was one single error on the server, then all of the 200+ computers at my school would simply not work.These computers all went down the drain atleast twice a week making them completely and utter useless. And everytime the system went down the teachers always asked this friend of mine that thought he knew everything about computers. Let's call him Bob to make it easier to follow. Anyways, The teachers would always have Bob look at the computers, and tell them what was wrong. Ofcourse he didn't know what he was talking about, so he said the following: "Yeah, mhm, okay. Yes it seems that you have gotten a network system error inside the processor, it will be back up in an hour". Yes, that is ACTUALLY what he said, let that sink in for a moment. Oh, I totally forgot; The time he said that it was a "Network system error inside the processor". the teachers were trying to figure out why there was no sound from the speakers. Turns out the audiojack was not plugged in.Anyways I got really off-track here. My friends and I were assembling the computer into the case that we had built ourselves. When suddenly Bob came by. My friends and I were kind of annoyed at Bob, so we asked him "which one of these components is the motherboard"? I bet anyone here on the forum would be able to point out which component in a computer was the motherboard, right? Bob pointed at the HDD, of course we all laughed, because this was proof that he knows nothing about computers, and was just spewing bullshit all the time. After we all calmed ourselves down, I said: "well surely you know this is the graphics card, right? (I pointed at the CPU). Bob said: "Yes ofcourse, how dumb do you think I am? That's when I almost broke out in tears laughing.

Since that event he stopped claiming he knew everything about computers and was an "IT-Guru". Anyways, my buddies and I delivered in our assignment, and got ourselves an A.Cheers! ;)

Did we learn in the same school? Lol

I know someone just like him, but even worse... (If possible)

When the teacher had a problem in the computer he always came to "help". And I was preparing for a good laugh...

Once I asked him which of these cables connect the computer to the Internet. He pointed at the VGA cable... And when we asked him what is the physically largest component inside a computer and he said processor... And pointed at the motherboard. Or when I asked him what is the voltage his processor is running, he said "6 volts, I bet it's higher than yours"

What's even more funny that he got a job in a computer store... Go figure...

Actually you are.  By writing to the drive you are going from a state of disorder to a state of order.  In order to do that you must put energy into the system.  In this case magnetic energy.  Since e=mc^2 by adding energy you are adding a small amount of mass.

The energy isn't being converted into mass, only heat (another form of energy) and vibration (kinetic).