Experiences with non-techies

my uncle just bough himself a bridge camera to start getting into photograph, upon showing the camera to my cousins girlfriend she shouted; "oh my god, thats well professional, it has a lens and everything". 

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

So I hope I'm not the only on who have had a costumer* reffer to the monitor as "The computer" and the actual computer for "the hard drive"

*By "a costumer" I mean it was on a daily basis. I worked at a hospital with around 15.000 users in total.

I was on a trip with a guy (school friend) and he had a WHOLE BUNCH OF INCREDIBLE CRAP installed on his laptop. Like he installed a freaking load of toolbars, he had a weird default (Moteur de recherche I don't know the word in english, well like google, bing, yahoo anyway) that I didn't even know what it was. I was like, do you want me to clean your computer ? these things must be annoying and he's like, I don't want you to break my computer. I then say : Look, I know computers trust me and is friend is like : You don't know anything about computers, I know more than you. (He got his desktop built by someone else by the way, doesn't know the parts name and thinks his 680 is a good value... Oh god I hated them...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Also my granddad has half of his browser covered with toolbars, and im not exaggerating with the area in which you can see the webpage is half the screen height. i delete it every time i go down there and i go back 3 months later to find it full up again.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

So I hope I'm not the only on who have had a costumer* reffer to the monitor as "The computer" and the actual computer for "the hard drive"

*By "a costumer" I mean it was on a daily basis. I worked at a hospital with around 15.000 users in total.

Not quite but a guy I used to work with would refer to the case/tower as the hard drive. Im like the hard drive is only around the size of my hand...so many times I had to correct him. Anoying.

I have a friend who thinks low fps on his "gaming" Asus Laptop is caused by bad internet connection.

He claims when he gets home (He showed me this at school) his fps is fine because he has ethernet there -.-

I have had someone complain that their printer was not printing, they had not plugged it in via USB or AC. Parents also complain that the computer is slow so when i offer to upgrade it  they say it is fine.   

Like with my sis, she play minecraft on an old macbook (core 2 duo). It's laggy as hell, I offered her to use my computer once, now she's always like can I play on yours it's soooo much better ! I propose her to build her own (for really cheap, I got spare parts) and she says no... She got plenty of money and never buy anything so I don't understand...

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

My mom asking me how she moves files from one folder to another. 

i5-3570K @4.2ghz | Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | 16GB G. Skill Ripjaw 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 (2x8GB) | 120GB Vertex 3/640GB WD 7200RPM | AMD HD7950 @ 1025mhz | 600W Corsair CS600 | Hyper 212 CPU Cooler | 5x 120mm fans 79cfm | Ultra Defender Case

Like with my sis, she play minecraft on an old macbook (core 2 duo). It's laggy as hell, I offered her to use my computer once, now she's always like can I play on yours it's soooo much better ! I propose her to build her own (for really cheap, I got spare parts) and she says no... She got plenty of money and never buy anything so I don't understand...

Why buy one when you can leech off your brother's? 

Just tell her no every time she asks to use it. She might warm up to the idea sooner or later.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I hear a lot of stories about people offering to upgrade PC's... I myself got some spare PC parts that I got from my PC that I upgraded not too long ago, it's 5X better than my sister's PC which has a CPU that's I don't know how old... it's square at least - not rounded edges like mine does.  Anyway I said "The only thing you still need is a new CPU which is like 30 bucks" and she said "No, I am not spending money on a computer" whilst her phone costs her around 60 bucks EACH MONTH. 

Priorities... -_-

Also, she wanted to change the colors of the sportsclub logo for whatever reason... I could see her working on it a few hours a day, not turning out too well...

After like 3 days ( I am not making this up, on and off she worked on it) I was like "What are you doing, can I do it for you?"  so I looked up the logo on the internet, opened photoshop, cut it out - put another layer on top and put the color on it she chose... 

A 3 day job on paint turned into a 3 minute job on Photoshop.

:mellow:

So many things I could write here... things like this.

My sister saying she hates windows 8 on her new laptop (some samsung ultrabook) So I offered to change it to W7 when she says she doesn't want to have learned whats she's learned so far for nothing.. :facepalm:

Yarrrr, ye be warned lily-livered scallywags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLMJpHihykI#t=93

Why buy one when you can leech off your brother's? 

Just tell her no every time she asks to use it. She might warm up to the idea sooner or later.

Haha, it's already the case, I don't like that other people uses my computer. It's too late, my parents bought me the parts I missed. (Video card and PSU) 

I don't know if this counts but in one of the computing rooms at my school we noticed they were using dvi-vga adapters for the monitors, which makes no sense on multiple counts.

1. The monitors support dvi
  2. There was a vgs port on the computer natively

schools tend to use vga even though its crap....

I have a friend who thinks low fps on his "gaming" Asus Laptop is caused by bad internet connection.

He claims when he gets home (He showed me this at school) his fps is fine because he has wired internet there -.-

that would only be true if he had grid or sky running in his house which I'm sure he doesn't.....

One time a friend of mine asked me why I have two computers. I have two monitors side by side...

I get that a lot, although i do have multiple computers it is just they are headless. People seem surprised how you can use more that one monitor and be more productive. 

that would only be true if he had grid or sky running in his house which I'm sure he doesn't.....

Most use dvi, apart from that one room that was obviously connected by someone who was high on lsd or something at the time.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

My dad thought the HTC First would be just as good as the HTC One for my sister. My sister owes me big time.

During my younger years before I owned my own computer, my dad CONSTANTLY uninstalled Steam insisting it was a virus of some sort.

My dad has learned, but my mom, still double clicks on every god damned thing on the desktop/web/emails and gets random crap on her PC. My grandma does the same thing, installing EVERYTHING. My grandma said to me last week "It looked like an email from your sister trying to show me something cool." I laughed so hard. 

When installing programs, my dad just clicks NEXT like crazy and installs like twenty toolbars, random crap, etc. 

You have no idea how it is trying to explain to the imbeciles at school that PCs are easy to build and are vastly superior. I am not the type who goes out and bashes on consoles but one cannot deny the PC is better in nearly every way, and people just can't come to that conclusion. They look at the graphics on my PC and then back at their console and the difference in frame rate and the fact that I am doing many different tasks in the background, etc. and still claim that "Yeah that stuff doesn't matter to me" and that "I don't see a difference." And when at lan fests at friend's houses they all complain at me every time I even mention the unplayable frame rate. At least they're building PCs now... most of them anyways. I honestly wish I wasn't so caring about FPS and graphic fidelity... ah well. They're the ones missing out.

My dad still will not go out and get a new PC. He has reinstalled Windows many times, upgraded hard drives, monitors, etc. This is literally his 3rd GT 210 card in his rig. I don't know what his problem is... He probably has spent more money maintaining this PC than it would cost to buy a better new PC. He's gone from a 250 GB to a 500 GB HDD to now a 1 TB hard drive, along with a 1 TB external drive. He's had the Dell tech support guy out here like 3 times for stupid things, and the damn PC still hardly functions. The USB on the front just shut off the PC if you plug something in, and only 2 or 3 of the back ports work, and are used for mouse, keyboard, and printer anyways. I even gave him my Core i7, GT 540m, 6 GB RAM, 640GB HDD laptop that only needs the power plug fixed (which according to Frys would only cost a mere 80$) and he STILL will not fix it and use it as their primary computer. Not to mention he has 860 GB free on his hard drive. He has been SAYING he was going to get it fixed and use it for the past three months now but still he is stuck with his piece of crap. It's gone from Windows XP to Vista to XP and now to Windows 7. I have never seen a PC get so much use out of it than this one. Oh well, whatever floats his boat. I have my own so to be honest I really don't care what he does. 

Both my parents have iPhones, and somehow manage to move half their icons into folders and onto random screens. My mom somehow managed to delete all her contacts (without restoring her phone) not sure what she did. She exclaimed to me later "Tristan I found my contacts! They were in a folder!" and then she was saddened when she opened it and realized it was just the app, and not her actual contacts.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

One time a friend of mine asked me why I have two computers. I have two monitors side by side...

That's so true. To my two 6 year old cousins, it's like I'm using some sort of black magic to move that window from one "computer" to another lol

That's so true. To my two 6 year old cousins, it's like I'm using some sort of black magic to move that window from one "computer" to another lol

Well I gues that is okay for a 6 year old... my friend was atleast 17-18ish at the time ^^

Another classic thing is to request a mac-address from a person and get the reply: "But I don't have a Mac!

I used to not know what a mac-address was so I could see myself saying "I don't have a Mac":) but don't worry I mostly know what a mac-address is these days