Black screen on second monitor while connected via HDMI

Go to solution Solved by Thomas01,

I got a usb c to displayport adapter, and it works fine using that. None of the settings changing did anything for me.

Hey all!

Since a few hours ago my second monitor stopped working with my laptop. 

I use a BenQ monitor as second screen for the past 1.5 years and haven't had any problems using it so far. 

This afternoon I noticed the screen went black, while my laptop monitor didn't. When I tried to wake it up I got no response.

When the problem persisted after a restart I went to google the issue, and found some people recommended reinstalling the drivers, which I did via device manager and via nvidia (https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownloads/confirmation.php?url=/Windows/552.22/552.22-notebook-win10-win11-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe&lang=us&type=geforcem), however this didn't solve the problem. When this didn't work I thought the cable must be faulty, as I unplug it quite a lot, but a known working HDMI cable also didn't solve the problem.

The monitor still works fine when connected to my girlfriends macbook with a usb-c to HDMI adapter, when I use this in my laptop I get a very unstable connection and noticeable snow in the image.

I'm using a 2020 asus G14 with a GTX 1650 Ti and AMD ryzen 7 4800S, and as I said I haven't had any issues with the HDMI connection until today. 
At this point I'm thinking the HDMI port in my laptop might be faulty, but I found it quite weird it would break so suddenly without any noticeable problems before it completely broke.

Any tips?

What do your display settings look like in Windows with the monitor connected?

Like this part:

image.png.4a802bf3e72d29c11dddea9f20f3937c.png

And then this part under "Advanced Display Settings:
image.png.6761e54a5c4232a42090d57ba0040f98.png

The basic idea is to check if the monitor is detected at all.

Hey! 

image.thumb.png.0f4d80afd33b3fea1ee65d9504d02a0c.png

image.thumb.png.652a0767c480f63b44063c0e38318e75.png

image.thumb.png.8c5993034fef46ee5c3b0390e0b6be02.png

So my laptop does detect the monitor, and thinks it is in use but I do not get any image on the actual monitor. Even when I try to adjust monitor settings via the on monitor buttons I do not get a visual image, it is like its turned off.

So I tried connection my laptop to my TV, which works fine so the HDMI port on my laptop is not faulty. 

My monitor isn't faulty as it works fine with my girlfriends laptop, and I now really have no clue what might fix it.

3 hours ago, Thomas01 said:

So I tried connection my laptop to my TV, which works fine so the HDMI port on my laptop is not faulty. 

My monitor isn't faulty as it works fine with my girlfriends laptop, and I now really have no clue what might fix it.

Where is says "choose the presentation mode for your displays," which one do you have selected? I would also try different resolutions and refresh rates just to see if any of them work.

I got a usb c to displayport adapter, and it works fine using that. None of the settings changing did anything for me.