Experiences with non-techies

That reminds me, friend from UK asked me to help her pick out a laptop that can play games (Minecraft, RS HD, and some other slightly more demanding, most of which were processor intensive, but she also expected to play games that were GPU intensive like Farcry 3) for less than 400 GBP. I repeatedly told her that for the price, she wouldn't find anything that could perform fairly well (I mean, lowest settings would be the best I'd expect from it); pretty slim choices from local retailers too. She insisted, I found a pretty good option (re-iterating that it'll be crap), she bought it, 2 months later, she tells me she "wants a better laptop".

I didn't attempt to spend too much time convincing her that for the price, a custom-built desktop would be the best choice. Sadly, I doubt she'd be able to put it together herself, and I doubt she knows anyone who could help her.

You can video chat and help her.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

When a female friend was trying to play a Blu-ray in her DVD players and was trying to work out why it wasn't working.

A mates HDD broke. He insisted that he could only buy the exact same one or it wouldn't work in the PC.

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

You can video chat and help her.

In hindsight, yep. I ended up doing that for another friend who built his own PC, which I helped select parts for.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Its funny my friends think I am a genius just because I built my own computer...They have no clue. But im not complaining:)

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Here's another one I forgot to throw in:

This lady I know bought a Blu-ray disc for her DVD player. She thought it would work because there was a blue light on the DVD player...<_<

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I love it when people spend insane amounts of money of a gaming laptop, and then they complain that it runs games slowly.. And then you realize that they've been running their games on the Intel integrated GPU instead of the dedicated GPU...

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Not an experience but it's related: http://xkcd.com/627/

that is actually brilliant.

friends lcd on his 'decent' laptop broke so he decided to break every component inside, including the 500gd wd blue drive, 8gb of corsair ddr3 laptop memory. his reasoning was 'it was broke anyway' 

friends lcd on his 'decent' laptop broke so he decided to break every component inside, including the 500gd wd blue drive, 8gb of corsair ddr3 laptop memory. his reasoning was 'it was broke anyway' 

What the?

What the?

i was so pissed off, i was trying to get the harddrive working for weeks in my pc. i thought it was my motherboard not recognizing it properly. turned out he threw it at the floor and didnt say anything.

My grade brother's grade 8 teacher still thinks you have to put the entire http//: thingy in to access web pages. He thinks this because apparently it makes it faster and prevents hackers more getting on your computer. 

In my computer class this year (9th grade) Most of my class did not know what the f5 key does and were confused when they had to refresh a page for a document we had to type

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

I've had way too many instances that if i try to remember one im going to end up in a deep depressive rage and end up spammin facebook with "I wish guns were legal" so instead ill post with how i treat such cases

Don't waste time giving advice to people who you know wont take it.
Only give so much advice for as long as the person is willing to learn.
Be nice to those who respect you and give them a reason to keep respecting you.
If someone turns around later proclaiming you know nothing and treats you like s***, if your not smiling when you get your revenge you're not getting the right revenge.
Make sure you actually know what you're about to say, you don't want to be the aforementioned guy who thinks he knows it all that we all hate because he doesnt know what hes talking about...
Ignorance is bliss, you can always spot someone who is ignorant when they're "in love" with something you know is overpriced or rubbish (here's looking at you apple, noctua and gaming laptops).
Try to find the most simple and easiest solution you can, when you can, IF doing the easier solution is okay to do so (not a bodge job).
Building someone a good pc isn't worth doing if they have bad habits and thier stuff is full of rubbish and dont do any form of file management and their old pc is full of millions of lolcats pictures, duplicated files, corrupted files that they never sort out, it'll only end up being slow or dying and you'll get the blame.
Read what the user is like, you might think rip off the rich people and help the poor but its not that simple.
If they're VERY poor they probably do weed, have a low work ethic dont maintain things well so they will treat their pc the same
If they're poor for other reasons (just lost his job) sure help them out!
If they're the average joe, treat them with respect, always be willing to help (bearing in mind what ive said before) and try and get rid of the bad name us tech guru's, mechanics etc have as "rip off merchants".
If they're wealthy don't take the p**s, you could rip them off once but if you give someone a good service they will come back for more.

Keep the faith, remember its YOUR love and YOUR hobby, unless its actually your job (in which case you're getting paid so you cant complain), take time out when you have to prevent stressing out, you should never hate the things you love doing...
B)
hello the people going through reading every post [salute]

Falcon: Corsair 750D 8320at4.6ghz 1.3v | 4GB MSI Gaming R9-290 @1000/1250 | 2x8GB 2400mhz Kingston HyperX Beast | Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula | Antec H620 | Corsair RM750w | Crucial M500 240GB, Toshiba 2TB, DarkThemeMasterRace, my G3258 has an upgrade path, my fx8320 doesn't need one...total cost £840=cpu£105, board£65, ram£105, Cooler £20, GPU£200, PSU£88, SSD£75, HDD£57, case£125.

CASE:-NZXT S340 Black, CPU:-FX8120 @4.2Ghz, COOLER:-CM Hyper 212 EVO, BOARD:-MSI 970 Gaming, RAM:-2x4gb 2400mhz Corsair Vengeance Pro, GPU: SLI EVGA GTX480's @700/1000, PSU:-Corsair CX600m, HDD:-WD green 160GB+2TB toshiba
CASE:-(probably) Cooltek U1, CPU:-G3258 @4.5ghx, COOLER:-stock(soon "MSI Dragon" AiO likely), BOARD:-MSI z87i ITX Gaming, RAM:-1x4gb 1333mhz Patriot, GPU: Asus DCU2 r9-270 OC@1000/1500mem, PSU:-Sweex 350w.., HDD:-WD Caviar Blue 640GB
CASE:-TBD, CPU:-Core2Quad QX9650 @4Ghz, COOLER:-OCZ 92mm tower thing, BOARD:-MSI p43-c51, RAM:-4x1GB 800mhz Corsair XMS2, GPU: Zotac GTX460se @800/1000, PSU:-OCZ600sxs, HDD:-WD green 160GBBlueJean-A
 CASE:-Black/Blue Sharkoon T9, CPU:-Phenom2 x4 B55 @3.6Ghz/1.4v, COOLER:-FX8320 Stock HSF, BOARD:-M5A78L-M/USB3, RAM:-4GB 1333mhz Kingston low profile at 1600mhz, GPU:-EVGA GTX285, PSU:-Antec TP550w modu, STORAGE:-240gb  M500+2TB Toshiba
CASE:-icute zl02-3g-bb, CPU:-Phenom2 X6 1055t @3.5Ghz, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-Asrock m3a UCC, RAM:2x2GB 1333mhz Zeppelin (thats yellow!), GPU: XFX 1GB HD6870xxx, PSU:-some 450 POS, HDD:-WD Scorpio blue 120GB
CASE:-Packard Bell iMedia X2424, Custom black/red Aerocool Xpredator fulltower, CPU's:-E5200, C2D [email protected]<script cf-hash='f9e31' type="text/javascript"> /* */</script>(so e8500), COOLER:-Scythe Big shuriken2 Rev B, BFG gtx260 sp216 OC, RAM:-tons..
Gigabyte GTX460, Gigabyte gt430,
GPU's:-GT210 1GB,  asus hd6670 1GB gddr5, XFX XXX 9600gt 512mb Alpha dog edition, few q6600's
PICTURES CASE:-CIT mars black+red, CPU:-Athlon K6 650mhz slot A, COOLER:-Stock, BOARD:-QDI Kinetiz 7a, RAM:-256+256+256MB 133mhz SDram, GPU:-inno3d geforce4 mx440 64mb, PSU:-E-Zcool 450w, STORAGE:-2x WD 40gb "black" drives,
CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra, CPU:-Athlon64 4000+, COOLER:-BIG stock one, BOARD:-MSI something*, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz ECC transcend, GPU:-ati 9800se@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-2x maxtor 80gb,
PICTURES CASE:-silver/red raidmax cobra (another), CPU:-Pentium4 2.8ghz prescott, COOLER:-Artic Coolering Freezer4, BOARD:-DFI lanparty infinity 865 R2, RAM:-(matched pair)2x1GB 400mhz kingston, GPU:-ati 9550@375core/325mem, PSU:-pfft, HDD:-another 2x WD 80gb,
CASE:-ML110 G4, CPU:-xeon 4030, COOLER:-stock leaf blower, BOARD:-stock raid 771 board, RAM:-2x2GB 666mhz kingston ECC ddr2, GPU:-9400GT 1GB, PSU:-stock delta, RAID:-JMicron JMB363 card+onboard raid controller, HDD:-320gb hitachi OS, 2xMaxtor 160gb raid1, 500gb samsungSP, 160gb WD, LAPTOP:-Dell n5030, CPU:-replaced s*** cel900 with awesome C2D E8100, RAM:-2x2GB 1333mhz ddr3, HDD:-320gb, PHONE's:-LG optimus 3D (p920) on 2.3.5@300-600mhz de-clock (batteryFTW)

My aunt installed something that changed her homepage from google.com to some other random website.

So she asked me why google was uninstalled from her computer and if i could reinstall it for her......

yea... 

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

My friend constantly complains about how broken and slow his brand new laptop is, but when I tell him how to fix it he says "I'm too lazy." He won't even ask for a return or have the manufacturer fix it.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I was asked by a fellow student yesterday how to access Task Manager in Windows. I replied "Crtl+Shift+Esc". The person asking then asked which key shift was. I ended up having to show her, after my dumb response "The one that is not CAPS".

I was asked by a fellow student yesterday how to access Task Manager in Windows. I replied "Crtl+Shift+Esc". The person asking then asked which key shift was. I ended up having to show her, after my dumb response "The one that is not CAPS".

Wow, I never knew you could do that.

Can I download more space for my iPod?...

My friend tried convincing me of that a few years back, we were on itunes for hours looking for it.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

People in my class last year thought that the more memory was in a computer, the more fps it would have while playing games..? They would always ask, "How many gigs of RAM does this have," whilst not having a clue what memory does.

SPECS: MOBO - INTEL DZ77GA70K EXTEME, CPU - i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz, MEMORY - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2 x 4G, GPU - GIGABYTE HD7970 OC, HDD - WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLACK 1TB, SDD - INTEL 520 SERIES 120GB, CASE - COOLERMASTER RC-682A-KWN5, PSU - THERMALTAKE SMART 750W, KEYBOARD - RAZER BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 2013, MOUSE - RAZER DEATHERADDER 2013.  :D

Some person put chewing gum in the front usb ports on some of our computers. As the "computer guy" in my class they asked me. I put the usb in the back. They think im jesus. Firstly im a hindu(lol). Secondly HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

wow I never knew ctrl+shift+esc opened Task Manager! I always used ctrl+alt+del or right clicking the taskbar... thanks I learned something!

I don't really have an example except that when I go to the apple store with my gf, because her phone broke again, I would look around for the noobie and mess with him/her. I would also like to add that I do not think some of the employees should be called geniuses lol. Anyone else enjoy doing this?

I'm 99% sure I'm wrong but, didn't Aaron Swartz work at an Apple Store?

Hello. Here are some words.

FX-8150, GTX 670, ASRock 990Fx Extreme4, 8Gb Patriot RAM, 1TB boot and Storage, Windows 7 64Bit

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/85.234.146.76:3062/