'E-Sports should be in the Olympics' Says WoW creator

iHammmy
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Ooookay people... Fortunately for some I don't have the time at the moment to read through
all the walls of text in this thread and disseminate who deserves a warning for what since
I'm about to head to bed. I cannot make any promises for the other mods though... Or maybe
I'll get bored when I get up and come back.

But seriously, cut out the shitty behavior and be nice to each other, we have neither the
need nor the desire for immature bickering here. Thank you, and merry Christmas. :)

EDIT:
Debating is fine, just, you know, in a civilized manner please.

Competitive video gaming - known as e-sports - should be included in the Olympic Games, the creator of World of Warcraft has told the BBC.

Rob Pardo, who until July was chief creative officer at Blizzard Entertainment, said "sport" now had a broad definition.

"Videogames are well positioned to be a spectator sport," he told Afternoon Edition on BBC 5 Live.

Professional e-sports events currently attract audiences of millions.

A recent major final held in Seoul, South Korea, filled a stadium of 40,000 people - with many more watching either online or at meet-ups around the world.

"There's a very good argument for e-sports being in the Olympics," Mr Pardo, who was also lead designer on Starcraft: Brood War, a game often credited with kickstarting the e-sports phenomenon.

It seems impossible until it's done.

The creator of wow must be a moron. Considering the success of WoW this is shocking. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

The creator of wow must be a moron. Considering the success of WoW this is shocking. 

he only stands to gain from that being a thing though... might as well plant the seeds of thought in peoples heads!

he only stands to gain from that being a thing though... might as well plant the seeds of thought in peoples heads!

Absolutely. If I created chess I would totally want Olympic chess. Pretty much the idea. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I just dont get it.. Why would anyone go to Olympics to watch WoW.. It is surely one of those games, that imo makes no sense to even watch on a stream.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

I just dont get it.. Why would anyone go to Olympics to watch WoW.. It is surely one of those games, that imo makes no sense to even watch on a stream.

Things like CS:GO can be enjoyable to watch on Stream but I've seen WoW Arena matches and they are the most retarded, clusterfuck, things to watch.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Olympics should be on the e-sports tournaments, as a side thing. I'd maybe watch Olympics if they aired it in between the brakes on Dota 2 International. If I can be arsed.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

I don't think its all just about WoW, its about e-sports in general. Games like League of Legends or Counterstrike are already very popular as a spectator sport.

E-Sports don't belong in the Olympics. End of discussion.

Why though? I'm always curious to see why people are so strongly against E-sports. Most of the time I get a "because its not a physical based sport" or something along those lines.  

Things like CS:GO can be enjoyable to watch on Stream but I've seen WoW Arena matches and they are the most retarded, clusterfuck, things to watch.

Hehe yeah, I was mostly referring to LoL and WoW, doesnt make any sense or thrill in watching. I can understand Counter Strike and same category.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

-snip-

I can respect Curling. It's quite a practical sport. Long jumping skills won't give you any practical use in day to day life but being able to clean the floor really fast is a skill everyone needs.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

e-Sports would be the first Olympic event where you couldn't juice-up, or if you did, it provides no benefits.  I for one welcome our new e-Sports events.

I honestly cant imagine e-sports ever becoming an Olympic sport.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

NO.

Do not give anyone who uses the term MLG any more legitimacy than they deserve, which is less than none, meaning that they should be forever barred from playing video games, even on consoles.

And if you do use that term, please go die somewhere, die a horrible horrible death, you are an embarrassment to nerds and gamers everywhere.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

E - Olympics. 

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Why though? I'm always curious to see why people are so strongly against E-sports. Most of the time I get a "because its not a physical based sport" or something along those lines.  

I don't have a problem with E-Sports at all. But that's where they belong, as their own separate entity ~ E-Sports. People who play video games too much don't deserve an Olympic medal. They already can make money off of their addiction, they get a trophy and prizes. However, they absolutely do not belong in the Olympics. There is nothing Olympic about an E-Sport; Ancient Greece is rolling in their graves just thinking about this concept.

It's a pretty silly thought.

The Olympics should remain as they are. But it would be nice to have a esport olimpics, just for games; like a tournament but includes different games and categories.

Why though? I'm always curious to see why people are so strongly against E-sports. Most of the time I get a "because its not a physical based sport" or something along those lines.

I personally think that the Olympics need to stay a physical competition, and I'd hold that stance even against competitive games other than video games.

We already have a lot of competitions for video games and I think it's fine the way it is now. Video games don't need to be included in the Olympics to be considered a professional competition.

1485.gif

I love MLG, I honestly do. I wish ESPN would show more MLG and E-sport tourneys, but I think the Olympics are too "Kosher" for competitive E-Sports to join.

irsyxJOghVJ3h.gif

mlg-cru3-0wn-g3-s1ck-fr-gzzzzzzzzzz-o.gi

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

So fucking stupid.

I'm on mobile right now but when I get back I'll post the Ultimate Facepalm as this is one of the few things so stupid that it is worthy of it

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW