'E-Sports should be in the Olympics' Says WoW creator

iHammmy
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Ooookay people... Fortunately for some I don't have the time at the moment to read through
all the walls of text in this thread and disseminate who deserves a warning for what since
I'm about to head to bed. I cannot make any promises for the other mods though... Or maybe
I'll get bored when I get up and come back.

But seriously, cut out the shitty behavior and be nice to each other, we have neither the
need nor the desire for immature bickering here. Thank you, and merry Christmas. :)

EDIT:
Debating is fine, just, you know, in a civilized manner please.

Just came to say, hahahaha that's funny. And that's what it always will be.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Why is it acceptable if it's your job, but not acceptable if it's for fun? Seems like a double standard.

Because if it is for fun, it will interfere with work and sleep. I really don't care how much people play videogames in their spare time if they are still productive at work.

Because if it is for fun, it will interfere with work and sleep. I really don't care how much people play videogames in their spare time if they are still productive at work.

So do you think pro-video game playing is considered productive work?

It is just as productive as art, music, and sports.

Problem is experts say not to practice music for more than 2-4 hours a day (because it becomes straining and tiresome), the average professional athlete only trains 12-23 hours in an a week, and a artists tend to take longer to complete work because it's better to spread out the artwork over longer periods of time instead of rushing to finish it. A whole piece of artwork should take longer than 3 hours to complete, but you shouldn't try to complete that artwork in an entire day because you begin to lose focus. 

Here pro-gamers hourly consumption of video games are over that of other forms that you mentioned by multiple times since they can be playing games for up to 98 hours a week. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

I'm trolling because you have nothing left to say, because you are in denial. But yet I'm the one who's ignorant. How how convenient is that for you...

This isn't isn't discrimination, this is just stating facts and being a realist. If you don't like the real truth of a topic, then I don't know what to tell you. Go live in a freaking bubble. 

It may seem like a radicalism, but at least I care about the well-being of children and the examples we are setting, the future we are creating for them. We are headed on a path with current trends that aren't very positive, or healthy in any sense. Maybe one day when you have your own child you will change your opinions to fit the facts instead of finding the facts to verify your opinions. But with the way things are going we will be living in a world much like the movie "Idiocracy" in ten years or less.

Problem with that analogy is, it doesn't apply to the context of this conversation. Because this conversation started with the frequency in which pro-gamers have to play video games in order be maintain a pro-gaming level. Therefore literally all pro gamers in this instance are in actuality doing the same thing. There are even players who play longer than 8 hours a day, some playing games like League of Legends or Dota for up to 14 hours a day. So you cant sit there and try to play off like not all of them do the same thing.

You're the one comparing pro gaming to working at a desk job, but then claiming that they love their job also, so clearly you are the one who is not just stupid but has terrible memory. lmao

Prove to me why they aren't addicted, I've given plenty examples as to why they are. So prove to me why they aren't. 

as said my problem is that you say ALL of them are addicts, yes some are but not all. its not realist its extremist to think %100 of something is %100 that way. and you keep having a problem with someone working 8-12 hours a day when every one does that?

I am just trying to understand how can everyone in a group of people be all the same. its like saying all blondes are dumb, all blacks eat chicken, all Jews horde money, all whites cant dance, all Koreans are good at games, all gamers/pro gamers are addicts. you also assume all pro gamer's play a lot when that is also no true.

also I work 9 hours a day on CAD drawing, am I addicted to it?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

as said my problem is that you say ALL of them are addicts, yes some are but not all. its not realist its extremist to think %100 of something is %100 that way. and you keep having a problem with someone working 8-12 hours a day when every one does that?

I am just trying to understand how can everyone in a group of people be all the same. its like saying all blondes are dumb, all blacks eat chicken, all Jews horde money, all whites cant dance, all Koreans are good at games, all gamers/pro gamers are addicts. you also assume all pro gamer's play a lot when that is also no true.

So now you are saying pro-gamers don't have to play excessively or that the majority doesn't have to play frequently?

So now you are saying pro-gamers don't have to play excessively or that the majority doesn't have to play frequently?

I am saying some play 2-4 hours a day some play 8-12 hours a day. some play just to support them selves other play to support a TEAM of 5 plus helpers (coaches and stuff) its not cheap owning a team. most pro gamers have a outside life that's not publicized. all I am saying is that NOT EVERYONE from a group is the SAME. yes some are addicts some play too much, but I would say most in county's other then Korea( I know they play more on average but dont know how much) don't play that often. also as a pro gamer that is their SOLE source of income, and working 2-4 hours a day is crazy low in the USA, 6-10 is average in the USA for work. also their are seasons, when a tournament comes up they play more, then after that they DON'T touch the game for a month or so, so they can have a vacation. also I never said they all play excessively you did. and 6-10 hours a day for a JOB is not excessive, that is how they make a living, that's how they put food on the table. some pro games from poor country's use their money to help their parents in need. and you call them all addicts. can you admit that not everyone from a group is not the same?

some pro gamers are born with talent and dont have to work hard to be good, but yet you think they are addict JUST because they are pro gamers.

you keep bring up suicide and that is stupid, every group of people has had a person commit suicide, so what they had a personal issue its not the groups fault that one person had a problem. (ya I know my name has it, but not relevant)

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

E-sports are not real sports in my opinion. Do they play chess in the olympics?

I don't have a problem with E-Sports at all. But that's where they belong, as their own separate entity ~ E-Sports. People who play video games too much don't deserve an Olympic medal. They already can make money off of their addiction, they get a trophy and prizes. However, they absolutely do not belong in the Olympics. There is nothing Olympic about an E-Sport; Ancient Greece is rolling in their graves just thinking about this concept.

Yeah because athletes are not addicted... They even go as far as to risk their lives for a damn medal. I don't find as a Greek myself anything wrong about E-Sports being an official Olympic sport. And also, the Ancient Greeks have a lot more to be embarrassed about other than E-Sports being an Olympic sport. Namely our "government" and our "representatives" of power selling off the damn country.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

You're the one comparing pro gaming to working at a desk job, but then claiming that they love their job also, so clearly you are the one who is not just stupid but has terrible memory. lmao

You're comparing a job to an addiction. People with office jobs aren't addicted to setting in offices. You're logic is dumb and you should feel dumb. 

And coming up next in the Olympics;  the mens double entry book keeping and the ladies complex computational physics trials.   This year will prove to be exciting as North Korea plan to enter a new team in the hacking events.

Please,  physical sports are physical sports, if you want to enter video games then you mays as well ad knitting,  book reading,  etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

More people watched a video game than people playing silly games and you're butthurt. Am I missing anything?

Just because people watch something other than the Olympics doesn't mean they're irrelevant, what part of this don't you understand?

I'm sorry for those of you with bad internet but this is necessary.

facepalm_inception___detailed_photo_mosa

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

What?

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

I don't think it should be added to the "main" Olympics.

But it would be nice to have a centralised large competition for a bunch of e-sports. At the mo they each have there own things, would be interesting to have a more centralised event as well.

A separate thing would work I guess, have it as part of the Olympics, but separate to the physical events. 

I mean, people want to watch it, Watching a well coordinated group who is good at what they are doing is interesting no matter what they are doing, if the event interests you.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I don't think it should be added to the "main" Olympics.

But it would be nice to have a centralised large competition for a bunch of e-sports. At the mo they each have there own things, would be interesting to have a more centralised event as well.

A separate thing would work I guess, have it as part of the Olympics, but separate to the physical events. 

I mean, people want to watch it, Watching a well coordinated group who is good at what they are doing is interesting no matter what they are doing, if the event interests you.

They could have "THE GAMES" a new event for the less physically inclined.  They could include all E-sports,  chess, charades, dominoes and maybe even darts although that might be a grey area.

They'd probably have to ban shit like energy drinks, no doze and mind enhancing drugs.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Ask any pro athlete, olympian, journalist, author, photographer, coder, (need I go on?) what their normal routine is and you will find a full time job, just like with pro-gamers, their entire time is not spent doing one thing but they are putting in long hours supporting their craft. Whether its conditioning and exercise, research and investigation, learning a new language and debugging code, etc. IF you are wanting to do something and get PAID for it you are going to have to put in hours. You can look down on someone who has chosen to invest that time in e-Sports if you wish, and you can choose to think they do nothing but sit around playing video games all day, and much of their time IS spent gaming, but they also have to worry about logistics and support, marketing, budgeting, training, exercise and nutrition, correspondence, entries, regulations, and travel, and so on. You see a lawyer and say " why would anyone who isn't addicted go and spend 40 hours a week in a courtroom arguing in front of a judge?" Lawyers do more than that, hours and days prepping poring over books, interviewing witnesses and experts, compiling data, filing papers and interacting with agents on behalf of their clients; Pro-football players don't play football 8 hours a day, they have training, conditioning, rehab, study, meetings, marketing, agents, public appearances, endorsements, PSAs, outreach, community service, travel, family, etc. You are being myopic, obtuse, and disingenuous.

Someone would have to be horribly addicted to spend 8 hours a day flipping burgers, if you intend to get paid doing something competitive you prepare, you invest the time, and you ALWAYS do more than JUST something. There is always more, and they always have to bring together raw talent, training, preparation, and determination to succeed. Just like anyone else who is doing something competitive, olympic swimming, football, chess, litigation, running McDonalds, etc. If you are doing something that requires no personal investment to succeed and doesn't push you to better yourself and improve and you are HAPPY with that, good on you. Many people aren't like that, and people who do something competitive for a living have to be willing to make that investment, at the outset, just to get started. If you wanted to be a master sculptor or a doctor you would be spending the same amounts of time developing the expertise.

Gaming is not a job unless your quality testing a product for the developing company before release.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

No.,....just no!

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Gaming is not a job unless your quality testing a product for the developing company before release.

You're completely wrong.

It's a job if you like it or not.

They are creating entertainment that millions of people watch and create massive amounts of money.

If you work and get money from it then it's a job no matter what the task is.

I don't think E-sport fits in the Olympics especially since they don't even allow many physical sports to become Olympic.

They should rather make a separate branch like for Winter Olympics and call it E-Olympics.

RTX2070OC 

Normally I'd scoff, but then I remembered this is an olympic event.

2010_Winter_Olympics_-_Curling_-_Women_-

Remove the iron and you may as well be using a Swiffer.

Swiffer.jpg

I thought of that, chest and shooting (both bow and guns) so SC pros? Why not

-------

Current Rig

-------

I am saying some play 2-4 hours a day some play 8-12 hours a day. some play just to support them selves other play to support a TEAM of 5 plus helpers (coaches and stuff) its not cheap owning a team. most pro gamers have a outside life that's not publicized. all I am saying is that NOT EVERYONE from a group is the SAME. yes some are addicts some play too much, but I would say most in county's other then Korea( I know they play more on average but dont know how much) don't play that often. also as a pro gamer that is their SOLE source of income, and working 2-4 hours a day is crazy low in the USA, 6-10 is average in the USA for work. also their are seasons, when a tournament comes up they play more, then after that they DON'T touch the game for a month or so, so they can have a vacation. also I never said they all play excessively you did. and 6-10 hours a day for a JOB is not excessive, that is how they make a living, that's how they put food on the table. some pro games from poor country's use their money to help their parents in need. and you call them all addicts. can you admit that not everyone from a group is not the same?

some pro gamers are born with talent and dont have to work hard to be good, but yet you think they are addict JUST because they are pro gamers.

you keep bring up suicide and that is stupid, every group of people has had a person commit suicide, so what they had a personal issue its not the groups fault that one person had a problem. (ya I know my name has it, but not relevant)

All I have to do is research how many hours a day they publicize they play on a daily basis, which is information that is readily available. All the top pros play between 6 and 12 hours a day,  the higher payed ones play up to 14 hours a day. This is information that anyone can go research. The only "pro" gamers that are playing 2-4 hours a day are weekend warriors. Which I'm not talking about. I'm talking about the actual people who don't have a real job on the side and are attempting to do this full time. Those are the numbers that they play at, that's the frequency. Most of these pro gamers are also streaming simultaneously. So what breaks are you talking about? What vacations? This is their life to play video games. I'm talking about one specific group of people. I don't know what you are talking about. Within this specific group of people they are all the same. If they weren't then they wouldn't be actual pro gamers.

I think they are an addict because how many hours they consume their lives with playing video games. Go ask any psychiatrist or therapist or any related physician about whether or not it is healthy or normal to be playing video games that much. Stop looking at this through tinted glasses of a video gamer yourself and examine it from the outside looking in. From a professional standpoint. 

Why is it stupid? Because you cannot face the facts? That it isn't a healthy lifestyle? It's the lifestyle itself that brought on the persons' depression that caused him to want to end his life.

Yeah because athletes are not addicted... They even go as far as to risk their lives for a damn medal. I don't find as a Greek myself anything wrong about E-Sports being an official Olympic sport. And also, the Ancient Greeks have a lot more to be embarrassed about other than E-Sports being an Olympic sport. Namely our "government" and our "representatives" of power selling off the damn country.

Athletes don't train 6-14 hours a day every day. They train at most like 24 hours a week. Hardly an addicting lifestyle. They might be risking their lives, but we're not talking about the dangers of sports here. That's an entirely different topic and completely irrelevant. 

You're comparing a job to an addiction. People with office jobs aren't addicted to setting in offices. You're logic is dumb and you should feel dumb. 

Playing video games is not an actual job. By your logic people who get payed to review weed and smoke it all day are considered working members of society that are constructive and benefiting the world. Your logic is severely flawed.