'E-Sports should be in the Olympics' Says WoW creator

iHammmy
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Ooookay people... Fortunately for some I don't have the time at the moment to read through
all the walls of text in this thread and disseminate who deserves a warning for what since
I'm about to head to bed. I cannot make any promises for the other mods though... Or maybe
I'll get bored when I get up and come back.

But seriously, cut out the shitty behavior and be nice to each other, we have neither the
need nor the desire for immature bickering here. Thank you, and merry Christmas. :)

EDIT:
Debating is fine, just, you know, in a civilized manner please.

@BiG StroOnZ

I'm traveling and am not going to have internet access for the next 3ish days. I will respond when I get home so don't go away yet :)

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

:rolleyes: Yea because you comparing them to drug dealers isn't comparing them to drug dealers. 

Was not comparing them, was giving you an example of other people who get payed to do something but it's clearly not a job. Maybe if someone explains to you something like a little infant, you will have a better understanding, since on your own you cannot decipher such basic information.

Again I never said I had a problem with it. Are kidding me here? I just said I find it boring. Also nobody that truly wants to be a professional athlete trains for only 3 hours a day. Even if they did, that'd mean there is still 1-2 hours left for the gym. Which it adds up to ~5 hours. But I never said that E-Sports pros don't practice for ~10 hours a day, I am just saying that if that's what it takes for them to do what they think fulfills them, then fine. I don't find any reason, however, for E-Sports not to be in the Olympics. It's not like I am all for them being an Olympic sport, I don't really care if they do or not, I just don't see why not. 

EDIT: The "I suppose" at the end was me being a bit sarcastic, definitely didn't need to put it there, I just went for it  :P

Oh sorry, you don't have a problem with it, but you find it boring. Which obviously isn't in any way related to having some sort of feelings toward it...I suppose.  ;) Problem is you can research the numbers for professional athletes and the world class athletes train up to 18-24 hours a week. That's 2.6-3.4 hours a day. It doesn't add up to anything else other than those numbers. Then if you think that's fine for them then I guess we will have to leave it at that, because I'm clearly not going to convince you in this life time or at this moment that it is not fine. Maybe one day you will understand but the time isn't now.

E-Sports don't belong in the Olympics, if they want to hold their own "E-lympics" then that is fine but for their presence in the actual Olympics I will have to disagree with you. As to why not, E-Sports need to separate from themselves and remain their own thing.

@BiG StroOnZ
I'm traveling and am not going to have internet access for the next 3ish days. I will respond when I get home so don't go away yet :)

Okay

Was not comparing them, was giving you an example of other people who get payed to do something but it's clearly not a job. Maybe if someone explains to you something like a little infant, you will have a better understanding, since on your own you cannot decipher such basic information.

You brought up drug dealers when discussing whether or not professional gamers have a job. That's a comparison. I'm sorry you're literally too stupid to understand basic social constructs of life. Professional gamers pay taxes. That's the distinction between the two. I'm done responding to your incompetence and it's clear you'll never be able to mentally grasp the information needed to understand this basic conversation. 

You brought up drug dealers when discussing whether or not professional gamers have a job. That's a comparison. I'm sorry you're literally too stupid to understand basic social constructs of life. Professional gamers pay taxes. That's the distinction between the two. I'm done responding to your incompetence and it's clear you'll never be able to mentally grasp the information needed to understand this basic conversation. 

I brought up drug dealers because you claimed anyone who makes money has a job. It's not a comparison, it's an example of someone who makes money doing something but it is not a job. Not once did I say a Drug Dealer is akin to a Pro Video Game player. I'm too stupid but you can't even tell the difference between a comparison (comparing two things) and offering an example. That's quite sad. But I'm "too stupid." Genius logic you have there. Get proven wrong consistently time after time and the only thing you have to resort to is personal attacks. Which pretty much explains that you have nothing left to offer in the conversation. But realistically you offered nothing but personal attacks this entire time because your ignorance is only second to your arrogance. This isn't a point of whether they pay taxes or not. It's a point that it doesn't benefit anyone except the individual themselves earning money. Again another point explained to you but went over your head because you lack basic comprehension skills. Oh wait, no, that's me. LMAO

I'll never be able to grasp the information needed to understand this conversation, yet this whole time you cannot even deduce any information relayed to you in any logical sense. The whole time all you have is personal attacks and straw man tactics. Trying to dissuade the conversation into a direction that it isn't even going in instead of remaining on topic. Quite sad really, someone like yourself trying to point out other peoples flaws when they themselves are full of them (you cant even grasp being offered an example). Definition of a straw man, going to point out their lack of understanding on the topic, then exit the conversation. "My incompetence." Great laugh you gave me, you don't even know the difference between a freaking comparison and an example. LMAO Keep telling yourself you are right. Mr. Doesn't know the difference between a comparison and an example.

Technically dealing drugs is a job, whether its legally as a pharmacists or illegally on a street corner, moonshiners distill as a job, bootleggers run moonshine as a job. Nobody disputes being a pirate on the high seas was a career choice. Semantics aside elitism, or just a plain refusal to regard anything you don't like is not conducive to good debate. If not for the "war on Drugs" all those things would still be legal and freely dealt, smugglers and black markets still provide jobs and products. And they are morally on the side of right more than the state is in restricting such things.

As for physical activity, that;s a spurious definition as all gaming, as of now, requires physical dexterity, no different from things like darts or playing music, and sports are competitive whether or not they require exertion, chess is a sport, golf is a sport and its not directly competitive, your opponent is the course you then compare your performance against the course with other players to decide a winner. 

On the issue of the Olympics I don't really care, if they become a part of it I may watch, if not we'll stick with twitch and ESPN8 "The Ocho"

On the broader issue of semantics and classification I think we need to get off our high horses. Industries, Jobs, and revenue streams come and go, while they can make money doing it lets not belittle them in their professions by claiming what they are doing to support themselves is not a job. Self-Employed tinkers don't ask for recognition but they do need respect for what they do.

As for physical activity, that;s a spurious definition as all gaming, as of now, requires physical dexterity, no different from things like darts or playing music, and sports are competitive whether or not they require exertion, chess is a sport, golf is a sport and its not directly competitive, your opponent is the course you then compare your performance against the course with other players to decide a winner. 

How is the definition I provided spurious?

And yes sports are always competitive, otherwise not a sport.

And golf is competetive.

"Let's see who can get this ball, in that hole, with this club, by doing the fewest swings!"

- first golf match ever.

That is how any competition starts

Swimming: "Who can swim from here, to there the fastest?"

-First swim race

High jump: "I can jump higher than you!"

-First high jump competition.

Archery:

"After we're done shooting theese bloody french people with our long bows, do you want to see who can hit a round wooden target best?"

First bow shooting competition.

I may have been a joking a bit above, hope you will laugh, and understand my point :-)

OK then, I hope you've all enjoyed the ride, this shall now be locked due to it not at all going anywhere but round and round in circles in a rather unfriendly manner.

Cheers

-aw

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic