'E-Sports should be in the Olympics' Says WoW creator

iHammmy
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Ooookay people... Fortunately for some I don't have the time at the moment to read through
all the walls of text in this thread and disseminate who deserves a warning for what since
I'm about to head to bed. I cannot make any promises for the other mods though... Or maybe
I'll get bored when I get up and come back.

But seriously, cut out the shitty behavior and be nice to each other, we have neither the
need nor the desire for immature bickering here. Thank you, and merry Christmas. :)

EDIT:
Debating is fine, just, you know, in a civilized manner please.

Relax man. I misunderstood you, and you misunderstood me.

Yes; eSports is a physical activity as they have arms, and move them. They have eyes and blink them. If that is physical activity then yes. But by that logic, sending texts while lying in bed, by talking to Siri could be considered a sport becuase it includes physical activity (moving my vocal cord), hell Even sleeping, because I move my lungs when I sleep.

BUT that was not the point I was trying to make. To be good at a sport, you have to perfect your body through exercise and training.

And as I said before: Gamers don't train, they practice. Therefore not a sport.

Man I did not get angry, I just think you misunderstood my point. If you don't like the definition of "sport" or "physical activity" then fine, but that does not mean that when I use them to prove my point I am wrong. So, by definition, E-Sports are technically sports like any others, whether we like it or not. If you don't want it to be, then change the definition of the word "sport", because the way it is now, it allows that...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

So shooting, which is an Olympic sport, means that the shooters are real athletes. Are you kidding? A sport does not mean that the person can run 6 miles without breaking a sweat. Quit thinking that sports = big muscular people...

The are 2 types of shooting in the Olympics, archery which is very physical, and the one with guns is a Russian relay thing (I forget the name) where they ski for miles uphill non-stop then shoot at a 1" diameter target 100 meters away and the next guy in the relay goes.

EDIT - here is the Russian thing - http://www.olympic.org/biathlon

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

So eating healthy is now a problem? Because you say it's boring? How is that at all relevant? So because they talk about sports it makes you angry. But if they were pro-gamers and talked nothing but about League of Legends that would make it okay? I really don't see the point you are trying to make here. There are plenty of athletes who have hobbies and interests outside of the sports they play. If you really want to talk about people making you angry because of how much they talk about sports. I've been surrounded by people like that my whole life growing up who were friends or acquaintances. Not only did they not play a sport professionally or really play sports at all, all they talked about was Fantasy Football or "The Game" but none of them played sports frequently enough for it to even be related ("addicted to sports"). Which is why I don't see how any of this is related. My roommate in college played Baseball and was the starting pitcher. When we hung out he didn't talk about baseball or sports almost ever. So just because your friends are a certain way I don't see how that is relevant. I'm talking about the publicized hourly numbers of what entails a professional video game player. None of these numbers are anywhere near any other hobby or sport. If the hourly numbers of how frequently they played weren't so high, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion. However, unfortunately, they are very high. Which is the point I'm making. It is also a combination of not just how many hours they are consuming doing so, but the activity in which they are doing - which is playing a freaking video game.

Lol are you trying to put words in my mouth? Did I anywhere in my post say that eating healthy is bad? Just because I consider getting forced to eat healthy all the time is boring, does not make it bad, I suppose... Also, the fact that they are doing sports as a hobby does not make the fact that they are constantly talking about it alright. E.g my hobby is programming, however I don't go around having conversations about programming all the time, in fact I rarely do. I was talking about how talking about sports all the time is fine, however when I start a conversation about tech or gaming the other non-techies are like "oh yeah alright, fine" = I don't give a shit. It is kinda like a double standard... 

"It is also a combination of not just how many hours they are consuming doing so, but the activity in which they are doing - which is playing a freaking video game" 

Oh so that instantly makes it bad. However, when professional athletes spend 70% of their day training and going to the gym, then it is alright. Look, it is a job, therefore they spend as much time is needed practising and you know what? If it just so happens that their job is getting paid for being good at a video game, then good for them. I do not see how a professional football player for example is any superior to him. 

The are 2 types of shooting in the Olympics, archery which is very physical, and the one with guns is a Russian relay thing (I forget the name) where they ski for miles uphill non-stop then shoot at a 1" diameter target 100 meters away and the next guy in the relay goes.

So wait they practise skiing too? Lol, in that case I did not know that and I'm sorry. But if they do, then that is actually pretty stupid...

E-sports...

please. There's no way NBC/(whoever is hosting the olympics on TV) will televise it anyways

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

The simple fact that you're comparing professional gamers to drug dealers makes me question your sanity. 

The simple fact that you think I'm comparing them makes me question your reading comprehension skills.

@BiG StroOnZ
I started playing league summer of 2013. Since then 18 champs have come out (all of which were played in tournaments although 8 are seeing constant pro play ), about 4+ reworks happened, and two seasons passed which is when riot does their biggest changes not to mention all the little tweaks that are happening. Those little tweaks can't be ignored though, in worlds Malki was pretty much perma banned as he had reserved a buff that made in op. Now one team is going to have to use up a ban to get rid of him letting the other team potentially ban out three of their champs. I'm only talking about lol as that's the game I know. I play wow but not PvP so I can't comment on its pro players.

You keep brining up the one suicide yet there are factories in Asia that had to install nets to prevent any more people from jumping off the building. Suicide is in every job. The collapsed lung example also isn't the best as that doesn't hinder him playing. If it was a hand or back injury then he would be taking time off to heal. There are many examples of American football players playing with concussions which is way worse as that injury can be severely aggravated by another hit while a collapsed lung doesn't care what you are doing as long as you don't strain it.
http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2014/01/28/super-bowl-2014-concussions/
85% said they would play with a concussion. Is that addiction? It's causing bodily harm that is very difficult to reverse or not reversible at all to an organ that if it goes you are dead. A lung can be transplanted (not 100% success rate but higher than brain transplants)

You keep saying that 10h days must mean they are addicted yet I work 12h days and nights and about 60h+ a week, not addicted. Lawyers can Work 70+ hour a week. And I'm going to hazard a guess that many more jobs also have crazy work hours especially in poorer countries.

You also say it isn't a job. It is. Being a drug dealer is a job. Not one that is needed or encouraged to go into but it is still how they make money for themselves. A pro gamer's job is entertaining people, just like all pro athletes (not saying a gamer is a pro athlete as that involves a lot more physical activity). Like someone else said I find it ironic that we are disagreeing on what a job is on a forum run by someone with one of the "newest" types of job. 5 years ago people would of laughed at the notion of making a living off of YouTube and now many people do.

Suicide rates aren't high in all of Asia, mainly Korea and Japan. The reason why these factory workers are committing suicide is because of less than stellar working conditions. You shouldn't really be comparing Asian Factory workers' jobs to a professional video game player. Entirely different ball game. As stated in the article you so freely posted, "The league has made it harder for players showing concussion symptoms to get back into games." So they can say they want to keep playing, but a professional won't let them keep playing against their own health. Do you even know the symptoms of a collapsed lung? It's not even a factor of straining it, it's the enduring pain that you experience from just simply breathing. The pain often extends to the shoulders and the back. You also develop a cough which deepens the pain of the symptoms. If tension continues you can go in cardiovascular collapse which results in shock and that can be life threatening. So I'm really not sure why you are playing off a collapse lung like it is not a big deal.

What is your job? What do you do? Does it have anything to do with playing video games for 10 hours a day? You keep trying to dissuade the conversation into a direction of comparing other jobs to playing video games and it's simply not the same. Stop attempting to compare a normal working class person to someone who plays video games for a living.

The fact that you think it is a job, and the fact that you think drug dealing is job. Makes me really realize the person I'm talking to. Oh so they make money for themselves, so it "must be a job." Sound logic right there. Problem is you can play the video game yourself, you don't need to watch someone else play the video game (that's the point of video games, anyone can play them). It's a maniacal fad that needs to die.

Do you even know the type of energy and work that it takes to do hardware reviews? Reviewing hardware is nothing new, putting it on video might be slightly new. But reviewing hardware itself is not a new concept. I'm not going to get into the whole "making money off of Youtube fad" because there's exceptions to that rule (as in what you are actually doing and how it's benefiting others). Linus is actually contributing to the lives of others in many positive ways.

Lol are you trying to put words in my mouth? Did I anywhere in my post say that eating healthy is bad? Just because I consider getting forced to eat healthy all the time is boring, does not make it bad, I suppose... Also, the fact that they are doing sports as a hobby does not make the fact that they are constantly talking about it alright. E.g my hobby is programming, however I don't go around having conversations about programming all the time, in fact I rarely do. I was talking about how talking about sports all the time is fine, however when I start a conversation about tech or gaming the other non-techies are like "oh yeah alright, fine" = I don't give a shit. It is kinda like a double standard... 

"It is also a combination of not just how many hours they are consuming doing so, but the activity in which they are doing - which is playing a freaking video game" 

Oh so that instantly makes it bad. However, when professional athletes spend 70% of their day training and going to the gym, then it is alright. Look, it is a job, therefore they spend as much time is needed practising and you know what? If it just so happens that their job is getting paid for being good at a video game, then good for them. I do not see how a professional football player for example is any superior to him. 

They have to eat very specific things every day and follow a lifestyle that while many think is healthy I would say it's boring. 

No I didn't say you said eating healthy is bad, I said you said you "had a problem with it because it's boring," as you can see above; which you clearly said. Then at the end you say, "I suppose..." which is an oxymoron. I also don't see how any of your concerns or issues with conversations you attempt to have with people is in any way shape or form is relative to the topic at hand. 

Training and going to the gym is good for you. If you train for 24 hours a week (the actual average is 12 hours a week for regular people), do the math, That's less than 3.5 hours a day. Hardly 70% of your entire day. Whereas these pro gamers are actually training up to 12 hours a day, which is in actuality half a day (not even including a 6-8 hour sleep). A professional football player doesn't train for 6-12 hours a day. It just wouldn't be possible. They have regimens, and they know when overworking themselves is too much. It's common sense you know, knowing when to call it quits. Something someone who isn't addicted is able to do.

So wait they practise skiing too? Lol, in that case I did not know that and I'm sorry. But if they do, then that is actually pretty stupid...

Russians  :P

@BiG StroOnZ

There are tones of people committing suicide in NA that worked regular jobs. Just because a gamer attempts to commit suicide doesn't mean anything. If most pro gamers were taking their life after their career ends then yes that would be a big problem.

Pro American football has been around now for a long time and only in the last few years have we realized how many of them have concussions and that there needs to be regulations to protect them. The players clearly don't want them as they want to play. If esports keeps up its momentum then there might be some regulations put in place that pro players would need to follow in order to participate in tournaments. As it is ther is very little regulation so pro gamers do all they can do to get ahead.

People watching soccer could go and play it too. Most of the stuff we watch for entertainment we can go do our selfs. And we do. I watch lol streams an play the game. My brother watches soccer and plays it. People like watching someone do something they enjoy but at a level that is beyond them.

And how is doing something in exchange for money not a job? There are people in Mexico that stand still in exchange for money. That is their job, standing still, on the street, for money. A job doesn't need to benefit society. Organized crime is a job. Someone who hunts for food and never interacts with ththe rest of society still has a job.

It is valid of me to compare pro gaming to other jobs because it is a job. Entertaining someone for money is a job and that's what pro gamers do.

Also hers a hockey player who played with a puncture lung.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/patrice-bergeron-played-game-6-hole-lung-175519455.html

And here's a website glorifying athletes that played through serious injuries.

http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/05/22/20-tough-athletes-who-played-through-injuries/#1

In any scene you can find people who do stuff that is detrimental to their health but you can't apply that to the whole group. Do I think playing with a collapsed lung is smart, no. I would take time off.

Looking up the lol player he suffered a collapsed lung and was rushed to hospital. HES IN A HOSPITAL! He could of been reading or watching tv or playing a video game. They way you talked about it made it seem like he was at home or traveling, ignoring his lung. He was doing nothing to inhibit his recovery. He canceled going to a tournament.

And the lol player that attempted suicide did so because his manager had turned his dream of becoming a pro gamer into a cash grab. The player apparently had a troubled life at home and gaming was his escape. This is just speculation but most likely he wasn't good enough to make a real team and was offered a chance by this man. I think that would be a little traumatic. And suicide isn't limited to gamers. All sports have suicides in them.

Your only arguments against pro gaming as a job is that it doesn't offer anything to society and it's going to turn all kids in to gamer wanna bes.

1. It is a form of entertainment. There are parties to watch trounaments. Me and a few friends go together to watch the lol world championships. There were viewing parties in theatres streaming the game.

2. We've been watching stuff for ages and it's never turned a generation into it. You really love to generalize it seems. Almost sound like that petition to remove GTA:V claiming it is breeding a new generation of misogynistc young men.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Its not work, like your work or not, there has to be work for it to be a job. The worthless Royal Family in England is considered an occupation but all they do is be famous and rich because all their luxuries are paid for by the peoples taxes that should be used by the government for upgrading infrastructure. And there should not be an E Olympics, maybe something similar would be great but video games should not even dare to affiliate themselves with or even look at the Olympics.

You obviously never played a game on competitive level for that long if you think it's easy.

I once did a competition and I played for 14h+ and it was extremely accosting so much so that I would never do it again it has nothing to do with normal playing.

Pro gaming is just as much a job as that of a football player,musician,game dev or any other job.

And work doesn't need to be hard to be a job!

And Chess is also Olympic and so having something like Starcraft 2 as an Olympic sport isn't a far stretch at all.

RTX2070OC 

You obviously never played a game on competitive level for that long if you think it's easy.

I once did a competition and I played for 14h+ and it was extremely accosting so much so that I would never do it again it has nothing to do with normal playing.

Pro gaming is just as much a job as that of a football player,musician,game dev or any other job.

And work doesn't need to be hard to be a job!

And Chess is also Olympic and so having something like Starcraft 2 as an Olympic sport isn't a far stretch at all.

playing hard is not working, but you are right that work doesn't need to be hard to be a job #Walmart

I don't think chess in the Olympics but the World Chess Federation is recognized by the Olympic organization.

http://www.olympic.org/chess

http://www.olympic.org/sports

@BiG StroOnZ
There are tones of people committing suicide in NA that worked regular jobs. Just because a gamer attempts to commit suicide doesn't mean anything. If most pro gamers were taking their life after their career ends then yes that would be a big problem.

Pro American football has been around now for a long time and only in the last few years have we realized how many of them have concussions and that there needs to be regulations to protect them. The players clearly don't want them as they want to play. If esports keeps up its momentum then there might be some regulations put in place that pro players would need to follow in order to participate in tournaments. As it is ther is very little regulation so pro gamers do all they can do to get ahead.

People watching soccer could go and play it too. Most of the stuff we watch for entertainment we can go do our selfs. And we do. I watch lol streams an play the game. My brother watches soccer and plays it. People like watching someone do something they enjoy but at a level that is beyond them.

And how is doing something in exchange for money not a job? There are people in Mexico that stand still in exchange for money. That is their job, standing still, on the street, for money. A job doesn't need to benefit society. Organized crime is a job. Someone who hunts for food and never interacts with ththe rest of society still has a job.

It is valid of me to compare pro gaming to other jobs because it is a job. Entertaining someone for money is a job and that's what pro gamers do.

Also hers a hockey player who played with a puncture lung.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/patrice-bergeron-played-game-6-hole-lung-175519455.html
And here's a website glorifying athletes that played through serious injuries.
http://www.totalprosports.com/2013/05/22/20-tough-athletes-who-played-through-injuries/#1

In any scene you can find people who do stuff that is detrimental to their health but you can't apply that to the whole group. Do I think playing with a collapsed lung is smart, no. I would take time off.

Looking up the lol player he suffered a collapsed lung and was rushed to hospital. HES IN A HOSPITAL! He could of been reading or watching tv or playing a video game. They way you talked about it made it seem like he was at home or traveling, ignoring his lung. He was doing nothing to inhibit his recovery. He canceled going to a tournament.

And the lol player that attempted suicide did so because his manager had turned his dream of becoming a pro gamer into a cash grab. The player apparently had a troubled life at home and gaming was his escape. This is just speculation but most likely he wasn't good enough to make a real team and was offered a chance by this man. I think that would be a little traumatic. And suicide isn't limited to gamers. All sports have suicides in them.

Your only arguments against pro gaming as a job is that it doesn't offer anything to society and it's going to turn all kids in to gamer wanna bes.

1. It is a form of entertainment. There are parties to watch trounaments. Me and a few friends go together to watch the lol world championships. There were viewing parties in theatres streaming the game.
2. We've been watching stuff for ages and it's never turned a generation into it. You really love to generalize it seems. Almost sound like that petition to remove GTA:V claiming it is breeding a new generation of misogynistc young men.

So we went from Asian factory workers to NA. Is this your attempt at a straw man tactic? Anyway, you can sit there and tell me just because a gamer commits suicide because of gaming. That means nothing at all? How are we supposed to know what the future holds, you cant predict the future this phenomena has only just recently gained as much attention as it has now. Who knows what problems come out of this, the obvious signs are telling.

The last few years? They have been studying concussions since 1994 in the NFL. Even in the early 2000's they had detailed reports and information about concussions. They knew quite a large amount about concussions, and have. They might have not put neurologists on the sidelines until two years ago but they knew about them for quite some time. Players know that they are playing a contact sport and understand the dangers of injuries. However, an early study showed that the majority of NFL players didn't really know what entails a concussion and they lacked basic knowledge on them. Which could mean many of them probably wouldn't even know if they had a concussion. The only reason why they wanted to keep playing was because, the NFL said "Players who are concussed and return to the same game have fewer initial signs and symptoms than those removed from play. Return to play does not involve a significant risk of a second injury either in the same game or during the season." Which means probably most of them believe this. Which goes back to the other study saying that these players lacked information on concussions. Which means, it was their lack of education that caused their influences. 

The difference between sports, and video games is not everyone can play a sport. Some people will never have the ability to play a sport. So it's understandable that they may prefer to watch than play. With Video Games they were created so ANYONE can play and ANYONE can learn to play. There is nothing a pro gamer does that involves something someone with a average amount of video game talent cant do. Anyone can play the same video game for 8 hours a day and become the best at it. It's really not that difficult. However not everyone has the freaking time to play video games for 8 hours. Most people don't want to. They have better things to do with their lives than sit around all day and become the best freaking video game player.

A hooker is doing something in exchange for money? Do you consider that a job too along with your Drug Dealer? Let's not argue semantics about what constitutes a job but rather the ideology behind it. There's something more to a job than just an exchange of money. You use Mexican beggars as an example of a job? Begging on the streets for money is not a job. I also searched extensively for people who's job literally entails standing still for money and couldn't find a single entry. If a job doesn't need to benefit society, then why don't we all just become street beggars and we'll see how your ideals work. That should be good for the economy. That should get the world moving. We will all just become street beggars. No better yet, we will just hunt for food and never interact with society. We will all go back to being Nomads. Sounds like a genius plan of yours.

Playing video games is not a job. Entertaining people? Mindless drones watching someone else in a stadium play a video game instead of sitting at home themselves and playing the same game that they can play just as well is entertainment? No they are just numbed out from all reality and don't even know what they are watching anymore. Like robots.

Again taken from the articles that you don't read, "Bergeron was taken to the hospital following Game 6, where they discovered the hole in his lung."- "the lung puncture wasn’t ID’d until Bergeron was in the hospital after the game.

The player had no idea, the adrenalin rush he was experiencing eliminated any pain or sensation that might point to the fact that he was injured.

Firstly, these players are most of the time are already in the game and then get injured. Then a procedure happens off the field and they go back in at least to finish the game. Some of them had surgery and sit out all season long later on to come back in during playoffs. Many of the injuries highlighted on this website were also from quite some time ago before regulations were as strict. Before the age of medicinal science. We also know the macho man stature that surrounds sports, so I don't really see a propaganda piece that highlights this attitude as anything to write home about. Just because they did it, does not make it right, but just as wrong.

Did you read the article? "but he's making do by...continuing to play League of Legends in his hospital bed" I've been hospitalized numerous times for many surgeries, the last thing I want to do when I'm in a hospital bed is play a video game because of all the pain I'm enduring. I used that as an example just to prove the insanity of it all. Collapsed lung, hospitalized, still not enough to make a pro gamer stop playing League of Legends. Maybe you can't make the connection, but it really isn't all that difficult.

All sports have suicides, sure, but do we really need more people committing suicide over something so trivial? Like a freaking video game? It's not like they have a serious injury and they can never play again. Which could be traumatic to someone who has nothing else. This kid he can go do something else, it's not a big deal. It's not the end of your life, there are other jobs out there you can do. Do you understand what I'm trying to say? Or you just going to keep justifying everything to make a case for pro-gamers?

1) It's not a healthy form of entertainment, it doesn't promote anything except laziness and bad habits. Good for you, you like to waste your precious hours watching someone else play a game that you can actually go play yourself. I can see why you are so positive about it, because not only are you are a part of the problem but you aren't even aware of what's happening subconsciously.

2) It's never turned a generation into it? Have you not seen the most recent South Park episode? It actually has turned a generation into it if it's getting made fun of on South Park. I fear for this generation because of fads like this. You might not care about the whereabouts of your future because you don't have children yet. But when you do your tune will change so quickly when you actually have to raise a being in this world. Then maybe you won't be so laid back about controversial happenings in the world that to you at the moment might seem so inconsequential but eventually when you get older and become an adult. You will change your mind about this conversation that took place today. Because if you don't, your future will look like the movie Idiocracy, and only you can change that from happening. This is your future, what do you expect it to look like the way things are going?

Gaming is not a job unless your quality testing a product for the developing company before release.

Anything is a job if you can get paid to do it and support yourself.

Whether its football, poker, wheelin and dealin, carving, selling homemade quilts outta your truck, if its what you do to make money, its your job.

We gonna start nit pickin over things like drift racing, chauffeuring, sports COMMENTATORS, heck POLITICAL commentators, columnists, etc. I would say there may be a semantic difference between a person who does something competitive to make money versus someone who does something competitive for an AUDIENCE to make money, but still not disqualifying it as a job. Football isn't "competitive", as it sits, you aren't going home empty handed if you lose in football, it's a spectator sport, you get paid because people watch you, but this is just more nit picking. There are people who get paid to sit at a desk and shuffle papers in a government office that wouldn't exist if they didn't have to justify having more people and more budget, THATS not a job, if you are providing something people want and are making money doing it? You got a job. 

Making videos on YOUTUBE?! That's not a JOB...

Fantasy Football?! That's not a job...

driving horseless carriages?! That's not a JOB.

Taste testing chicken nuggets?! That's not a job...

If the market will pay for it, it can be a job. Whatever it may be.

I think you guys are confusing jobs vs careers.

A sport is a competitive activity that requires elevated skills by being physically athletic. Its really anything that you would have to train for in order to compete.

Just because something is called a sport doesn't mean it could be considered for the Olympics though..

Just my opinion.

I think you guys are confusing jobs vs careers.

A sport is a competitive activity that requires elevated skills by being physically athletic. Its really anything that you would have to train for in order to compete.

Just because something is called a sport doesn't mean it could be considered for the Olympics though..

Just my opinion.

That's not 100% accurate... but do remember the olympics currently includes shooting and things many people also said should never sully the olympics, like snowboarding, and the olympics USED to have things like hot air ballooning and poetry.

The simple fact that you think I'm comparing them makes me question your reading comprehension skills.

:rolleyes: Yea because you comparing them to drug dealers isn't comparing them to drug dealers. 

Russians  :P

Hahahahahaha there will always be a harder way for them :P

No I didn't say you said eating healthy is bad, I said you said you "had a problem with it because it's boring," as you can see above; which you clearly said. Then at the end you say, "I suppose..." which is an oxymoron. I also don't see how any of your concerns or issues with conversations you attempt to have with people is in any way shape or form is relative to the topic at hand. 

Training and going to the gym is good for you. If you train for 24 hours a week (the actual average is 12 hours a week for regular people), do the math, That's less than 3.5 hours a day. Hardly 70% of your entire day. Whereas these pro gamers are actually training up to 12 hours a day, which is in actuality half a day (not even including a 6-8 hour sleep). A professional football player doesn't train for 6-12 hours a day. It just wouldn't be possible. They have regimens, and they know when overworking themselves is too much. It's common sense you know, knowing when to call it quits. Something someone who isn't addicted is able to do.

Again I never said I had a problem with it. Are kidding me here? I just said I find it boring. Also nobody that truly wants to be a professional athlete trains for only 3 hours a day. Even if they did, that'd mean there is still 1-2 hours left for the gym. Which it adds up to ~5 hours. But I never said that E-Sports pros don't practice for ~10 hours a day, I am just saying that if that's what it takes for them to do what they think fulfills them, then fine. I don't find any reason, however, for E-Sports not to be in the Olympics. It's not like I am all for them being an Olympic sport, I don't really care if they do or not, I just don't see why not. 

EDIT: The "I suppose" at the end was me being a bit sarcastic, definitely didn't need to put it there, I just went for it :P

Hahahahahaha there will always be a harder way for them :P

I'm one of them but gladly I have the loyalty of Southern California  B)

Anything is a job if you can get paid to do it and support yourself.

Whether its football, poker, wheelin and dealin, carving, selling homemade quilts outta your truck, if its what you do to make money, its your job.

We gonna start nit pickin over things like drift racing, chauffeuring, sports COMMENTATORS, heck POLITICAL commentators, columnists, etc. I would say there may be a semantic difference between a person who does something competitive to make money versus someone who does something competitive for an AUDIENCE to make money, but still not disqualifying it as a job. Football isn't "competitive", as it sits, you aren't going home empty handed if you lose in football, it's a spectator sport, you get paid because people watch you, but this is just more nit picking. There are people who get paid to sit at a desk and shuffle papers in a government office that wouldn't exist if they didn't have to justify having more people and more budget, THATS not a job, if you are providing something people want and are making money doing it? You got a job. 

Making videos on YOUTUBE?! That's not a JOB...

Fantasy Football?! That's not a job...

driving horseless carriages?! That's not a JOB.

Taste testing chicken nuggets?! That's not a job...

If the market will pay for it, it can be a job. Whatever it may be.

Work and job means productive member of society and that means improving it.

Man I did not get angry, I just think you misunderstood my point. If you don't like the definition of "sport" or "physical activity" then fine, but that does not mean that when I use them to prove my point I am wrong. So, by definition, E-Sports are technically sports like any others, whether we like it or not. If you don't want it to be, then change the definition of the word "sport", because the way it is now, it allows that...

Okay... I see your point but I disagree.

Oxford Definition: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/sport

"An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

Gaming doesn't involce physical exert (as I understand the word). But it does involve mental exert.

Wikipedia Definiton: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

"Sport (or sports) is all forms of usually competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and skills."

Gaming doesn't involve physical skill. It DOES involve physical activity but so does EVERYTHING else (eating, pooping, sitting, writing, talking etc). And gaming doesn't aim to maintain or improve physical abilities either. I am not saying it is easy, but you are not improving your body. Gaming does involve skills, but skills of the mind: tactics, reflexes, hand-eye coordination.

BTW: Thanks for this discussion, it is nice to be challenged :-)

Work and job means productive member of society and that means improving it.

eSports players do a piece of work or a specific task of his occupation. Doesn't have to do with improving society. Just getting payed to do stuff.

"a piece of work, especially a specific task done as part of the routine ofone's occupation or for an agreed price"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/job

Yup. In that sense yeah, that is true. Man I hate different definitions from different sources. In that sense, yeah E-Sports are not really sports, but they are by another definition, so it becomes confusing. Anyway, I really liked this conversation too, as I love arguing with people :D

E - Olympics. 

"And in other news, the Spellympics is being sued for the suffix 'lympics'"

I'm so sorry if I got that reference wrong.

Considering , Poems, Short Stories, Architectural Design, Music, Painting and Graphics; and other things use to be in the Olympic I don't see why some Games shouldn't be.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Yup. In that sense yeah, that is true. Man I hate different definitions from different sources. In that sense, yeah E-Sports are not really sports, but they are by another definition, so it becomes confusing. Anyway, I really liked this conversation too, as I love arguing with people :D

Good good :-).

But that is how language is, ever changing and confusing :-).