'E-Sports should be in the Olympics' Says WoW creator

iHammmy
Go to solution Solved by alpenwasser,

Ooookay people... Fortunately for some I don't have the time at the moment to read through
all the walls of text in this thread and disseminate who deserves a warning for what since
I'm about to head to bed. I cannot make any promises for the other mods though... Or maybe
I'll get bored when I get up and come back.

But seriously, cut out the shitty behavior and be nice to each other, we have neither the
need nor the desire for immature bickering here. Thank you, and merry Christmas. :)

EDIT:
Debating is fine, just, you know, in a civilized manner please.

Ask any pro athlete, olympian, journalist, author, photographer, coder, (need I go on?) what their normal routine is and you will find a full time job, just like with pro-gamers, their entire time is not spent doing one thing but they are putting in long hours supporting their craft. Whether its conditioning and exercise, research and investigation, learning a new language and debugging code, etc. IF you are wanting to do something and get PAID for it you are going to have to put in hours. You can look down on someone who has chosen to invest that time in e-Sports if you wish, and you can choose to think they do nothing but sit around playing video games all day, and much of their time IS spent gaming, but they also have to worry about logistics and support, marketing, budgeting, training, exercise and nutrition, correspondence, entries, regulations, and travel, and so on. You see a lawyer and say " why would anyone who isn't addicted go and spend 40 hours a week in a courtroom arguing in front of a judge?" Lawyers do more than that, hours and days prepping poring over books, interviewing witnesses and experts, compiling data, filing papers and interacting with agents on behalf of their clients; Pro-football players don't play football 8 hours a day, they have training, conditioning, rehab, study, meetings, marketing, agents, public appearances, endorsements, PSAs, outreach, community service, travel, family, etc. You are being myopic, obtuse, and disingenuous.

Someone would have to be horribly addicted to spend 8 hours a day flipping burgers, if you intend to get paid doing something competitive you prepare, you invest the time, and you ALWAYS do more than JUST something. There is always more, and they always have to bring together raw talent, training, preparation, and determination to succeed. Just like anyone else who is doing something competitive, olympic swimming, football, chess, litigation, running McDonalds, etc. If you are doing something that requires no personal investment to succeed and doesn't push you to better yourself and improve and you are HAPPY with that, good on you. Many people aren't like that, and people who do something competitive for a living have to be willing to make that investment, at the outset, just to get started. If you wanted to be a master sculptor or a doctor you would be spending the same amounts of time developing the expertise.

The Olympics should be discontinued. Nobody really cares about them. Just cancel them and save money.

Are you actually stupid? If no one cares about the Olympics then why do you think millions upon millions of people went to London in 2012 to spectate them? Then upon that the more millions upon millions that watched on TV...

It seems impossible until it's done.

E-Sports don't belong in the Olympics. End of discussion.

^ This

All I have to say to the wow creator is just no

Pro gaming has just as much right to exist as any pro sport(plenty of people pay to play sport at a amateur level because they enjoy it the same as many people pay to play games because they enjoy it)  but I don't believe it has any place in what is and should always be a competition based on athletic ability.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Are you actually stupid? If no one cares about the Olympics then why do you think millions upon millions of people went to London in 2012 to spectate them? Then upon that the more millions upon millions that watched on TV...

:rolleyes: Nobody gives a shit about the oOlympics.

More people care about League of Legends than the Olympics. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/business/media/olympics-draws-25-million-viewers-even-as-its-tv-competitors-also-thrive.html?_r=0

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/2/7318873/league-of-legends-finals-viewership-dropped-15-percent-but-27m-still

So go bury your head in the sand and think that people give a shit about other countries competing at stupid sports that nobody practices for other than the Olympics. 

if we compare esport to "normal" sport is there not much motion in it so i think it will be hard to get esport in the olympics but im on

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/business/media/olympics-draws-25-million-viewers-even-as-its-tv-competitors-also-thrive.html?_r=0

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/2/7318873/league-of-legends-finals-viewership-dropped-15-percent-but-27m-still

So go bury your head in the sand and think that people give a shit about other countries competing at stupid sports that nobody practices for other than the Olympics. 

Firstly, those ratings are for the winter olympics which I can only assume are less popular than the summer olympics and secondly those ratings are only for one station in one country while the lol finals viewership is worldwide. Unless you're being sarcastic which you probably are then ignore what I just said.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with e-sports/mlg/competitve gaming in general, but it should be separated from other mainstream physical sports. I can't see why anyone who's a viewer of either would want to be affiliated with the other. E-sports really have nothing to gain with being affiliated with sports or ESPN or anything like that and vise versa, It's fine how it is now. ESPN shouldn't be airing e-sports (on cable, with streaming they can do whatever they want), the ratings would be abysmal and any fan of e-sports is competent enough to go on twitch or youtube and watch them their.

Firstly, those ratings are for the winter olympics which I can only assume are less popular than the summer olympics and secondly those ratings are only for one station in one country while the lol finals viewership is worldwide. Unless you're being sarcastic which you probably are then ignore what I just said.

Anyways, I don't have a problem with e-sports/mlg/competitve gaming in general, but it should be separated from other mainstream physical sports. I can't see why anyone who's a viewer of either would want to be affiliated with the other. E-sports really have nothing to gain with being affiliated with sports or ESPN or anything like that and vise versa, It's fine how it is now. ESPN shouldn't be airing e-sports (on cable, with streaming they can do whatever they want), the ratings would be abysmal and any fan of e-sports is competent enough to go on twitch or youtube and watch them their.

Who are you to decide what gets played on a sports network? They show poker tournaments. That's about the furthest thing from a sport as can be, but yet it's on almost every night. If esports were shown on ESPN they would have a much better chance to become mainstream, or do you not know how that works?

Esports on sports channels? Sure, full support on that. As mentioned above, poker is there, so why not some pixel action. It raises awareness of e-sports and helps putting it into its rightful place between rugby and synchronized swimming.

I don't think they should be part of the olympics though. The olympics are a physical event, and they should stay exactly that.

Seperate e-olympics would be fun. All kinds of games that need different skills mashed together in a race for gold medals.

Just because you and your little bubble don't doesn't mean the rest of the world follows suit. Your ignorance is amazing.

Just because you and your little bubble don't doesn't mean the rest of the world follows suit. Your ignorance is amazing.

More people watched a video game than people playing silly games and you're butthurt. Am I missing anything? 

More people watched a video game than people playing silly games and you're butthurt. Am I missing anything?

Mores people watch the summer Olympics than ANY e sports event.

Mores people watch the summer Olympics than ANY e sports event.

The people that watch the olympics don't really care about the olympics, they just get wrapped up in patriotism. It isn't needed today, they should be ended. 

It would be nice to have the source lol

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

The people that watch the olympics don't really care about the olympics, they just get wrapped up in patriotism. It isn't needed today, they should be ended.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/news/london-2012-opening-ceremony-audience-hit-900-million-predicts-ioc-8015361.html

I'm all for e-sports, but this is ridiculous. I view the Olympics as a feat of physical strength, not entertainment. (I like to pretend that ping-pong doesn't exist in the Olympics)

I would support this on one condition: if they made a separate event, so between summer and winter Olympics.

@BiG StroOnZ Just stop, at least most of them are NOT addicted and you're starting to sound insane

you have to be trolling me at this point. I cant believe you believe this. the amount of ignorance is just too much for me to explain. 

and about me pulling the race card i'm not, I am saying its the same thing. you are discriminating a group of people just like a racist, sexist, etc. almost every person on this planet does what you are saying but you only say one group is bad, I just can't understand that. nothing you have said is exclusive to gaming. you are talking like a radicalist, you cherry pick stuff and say HEY LOOK i am right. just because all killers drink water does not mean all people how drink water kill, and what you are saying seems to me you can't understand that.

I'm trolling because you have nothing left to say, because you are in denial. But yet I'm the one who's ignorant. How how convenient is that for you...

This isn't isn't discrimination, this is just stating facts and being a realist. If you don't like the real truth of a topic, then I don't know what to tell you. Go live in a freaking bubble. 

It may seem like a radicalism, but at least I care about the well-being of children and the examples we are setting, the future we are creating for them. We are headed on a path with current trends that aren't very positive, or healthy in any sense. Maybe one day when you have your own child you will change your opinions to fit the facts instead of finding the facts to verify your opinions. But with the way things are going we will be living in a world much like the movie "Idiocracy" in ten years or less.

Problem with that analogy is, it doesn't apply to the context of this conversation. Because this conversation started with the frequency in which pro-gamers have to play video games in order be maintain a pro-gaming level. Therefore literally all pro gamers in this instance are in actuality doing the same thing. There are even players who play longer than 8 hours a day, some playing games like League of Legends or Dota for up to 14 hours a day. So you cant sit there and try to play off like not all of them do the same thing.

You're the one saying they hate it, stupid. 

You're the one comparing pro gaming to working at a desk job, but then claiming that they love their job also, so clearly you are the one who is not just stupid but has terrible memory. lmao

@BiG StroOnZ Just stop, at least most of them are NOT addicted and you're starting to sound insane

Prove to me why they aren't addicted, I've given plenty examples as to why they are. So prove to me why they aren't. 

Absolutely. If I created chess I would totally want Olympic chess. Pretty much the idea. 

1. Chess is recognized as a sport by the International Olympic Committee (IOC); since June 1999 FIDE has been the recognized International Sports Federation. As a member of the IOC, FIDE adheres to its rules, including, controversially, a requirement for doping tests. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_Olympiad

imo, E Sports are no different than chess, except for much more rapid activity in the games than chess, so if chess can be considered a sport I see no reason why "E sports" can't be. Seeing as the last few giant tournaments online have brought in hundreds of thousands, and even millions of viewers for some games, that's a giant audience that obviously finds them intertaining.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Prove to me why they aren't addicted, I've given plenty examples as to why they are. So prove to me why they aren't. 

Because to be addicted, it means you can't stop yourself from doing it, eg. mental breakdowns if you stop. Just because you do something a lot doesn't mean that you are addicted to doing it; are you addicted to sitting down? No, just because you do it a lot, doesn't mean you are addicted. The same goes for driving, working at a job you hate, ect.

Because to be addicted, it means you can't stop yourself from doing it, eg. mental breakdowns if you stop. Just because you do something a lot doesn't mean that you are addicted to doing it; are you addicted to sitting down? No, just because you do it a lot, doesn't mean you are addicted. The same goes for driving, working at a job you hate, ect.

So the kid who jumped off the twelve story building didn't have a mental breakdown, when he found out he couldn't play and win?

So the kid who jumped off the twelve story building didn't have a mental breakdown, when he found out he couldn't play and win?

I said MOST, not all, there is a huge difference.

So you think there's nothing wrong with playing video games for 6-14 hours a day everyday.

If it is for your job, then no. If it is for fun, than yes because it would cause problems.