Antiwork Activists are spamming printers with their materials

rcmaehl

Summary

Antiwork activists are spamming misconfigured printers with their pamphlets and other materials

Media

Quotes

Businesses in the US and abroad are being spammed with 'antiwork'... delivered through... printers. Prompting workers to unionize, refuse 'poverty wages,' and ask for more pay. Workers on Twitter and Reddit have posted several pictures showing the rebellious message 'ARE YOU BEING UNDERPAID? You have a protected LEGAL RIGHT to discuss your pay with your coworkers. POVERTY WAGES only exist because people are 'willing to work for them,' read one of the messages in a print receipt. The receipts directed workers to the r/antiwork subreddit, an online forum where users participate, comment and share. The subreddit has since gained momentum, with users sharing their own theories about the messages printed on receipts. A cybersecurity analyst told VICE that network traffic going to insecure... printers indicates one or more... are indeed behind the attack. 'Which one of you is doing this because it's hilarious,' a Reddit user who claimed that a message had been printed at his job, wrote on Reddit on Tuesday. 'Me and my coworker need answers.' One of the messages reportedly printed in a receipt read: 'RIDDLE ME THIS. How can McDonald's in Denmark manage to pay their staff $22 an hour and still sell a Big Mac for less than in America? Answer: UNIONS! Did you know it is a rather simple task to organize an UNION?'  The messages appear to have been sent indiscriminately. 'Someone is using a similar technique as 'mass scanning' to massively blast raw TCP data directly to printer services across the internet,' he said. 'Basically to every single device that has port TCP 9100 open and prints a pre-written document that references /r/antiwork with some workers rights/counter capitalist messaging.'  In 2020, cybersecurity experts... hijacked almost 28,000 unsecured printers worldwide to highlight how easy it is to hack them. Of the 50,000 devices..., 27,944 were successfully accessed. '...We can presume that out of 800,000 internet-connected printers across the world, at least 447,000 are unsecured.'

My Thoughts

It just goes to show the security for all devices is important. We've seen this before during Pewdiepie vs T-Series in which Chromecasts and once again printers were easily exploited. A common issue is people having UPNP enabled on their routers, usually by default that causes the printers to be exposed to the internet. In a work environment, it's even more important as insecure printers can be used as a launching point for more advanced and serious attacks as seen with the Stuxnet attack and talked about in detail at Blackhat conventions

Sources

Gizmodo

Futurism

Dailymail (quote source)

Edited by rcmaehl
Removed strikethrough caused by IPS bug

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

31 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Antiwork activists

I don't think they're "anti-work" so much as "pro-employee/pro-union".

Main System (Byarlant): Ryzen 7 5800X | Asus B550-Creator ProArt | EK 240mm Basic AIO | 16GB G.Skill DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-14 | XFX Speedster SWFT 210 RX 6600 | Samsung 990 PRO 2TB / Samsung 960 PRO 512GB / 4× Crucial MX500 2TB (RAID-0) | Corsair RM750X | Mellanox ConnectX-3 10G NIC | Inateck USB 3.0 Card | Hyte Y60 Case | Dell U3415W Monitor | Keychron K4 Brown (white backlight)

Laptop (Narrative): Lenovo Flex 5 81X20005US | Ryzen 5 4500U | 16GB RAM (soldered) | Vega 6 Graphics | SKHynix P31 1TB NVMe SSD | Intel AX200 Wifi (all-around awesome machine)

Proxmox Server (Veda): Ryzen 7 3800XT | AsRock Rack X470D4U | Corsair H80i v2 | 64GB Micron DDR4 ECC 3200MT/s | 4x 10TB WD Whites / 4x 14TB Seagate Exos / 2× Samsung PM963a 960GB SSD | Seasonic Prime Fanless 500W | Intel X540-T2 10G NIC | LSI 9207-8i HBA | Fractal Design Node 804 Case (side panels swapped to show off drives) | VMs: TrueNAS Scale; Ubuntu Server (PiHole/PiVPN/NGINX?); Windows 10 Pro; Ubuntu Server (Apache/MySQL)

Media Center/Video Capture (Jesta Cannon): Ryzen 5 1600X | ASRock B450M Pro4 R2.0 | Noctua NH-L12S | 16GB Crucial DDR4 3200MT/s CAS-22 | EVGA GTX750Ti SC | UMIS NVMe SSD 256GB / Seagate 1.5TB HDD | Corsair CX450M | Viewcast Osprey 260e Video Capture | Mellanox ConnectX-2 10G NIC | LG UH12NS30 BD-ROM | Silverstone Sugo SG-11 Case | Sony XR65A80K

Camera: Sony ɑ7II w/ Meike Grip | Sony SEL24240 | Samyang 35mm ƒ/2.8 | Sony SEL50F18F | Sony SEL2870 (kit lens) | PNY Elite Perfomance 512GB SDXC card

Network:

Spoiler
                           ┌─────────────── Office/Rack ────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
Google Fiber Webpass ────── UniFi Security Gateway ─── UniFi Switch 8-60W ─┬─ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Veda (Proxmox Virtual Switch)
(500Mbps↑/500Mbps↓)                             UniFi CloudKey Gen2 (PoE) ─┴─ Veda (IPMI)           ╠═ Veda-NAS (HW Passthrough NIC)
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╩═ Narrative (Asus USB 2.5G NIC)
║ ┌────── Closet ──────┐   ┌─────────────── Bedroom ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
╚═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╤═ UniFi Switch Flex XG ═╦═ Byarlant
   (PoE)                 │                        ╠═ Narrative (Cable Matters USB-PD 2.5G Ethernet Dongle)
                         │                        ╚═ Jesta Cannon*
                         │ ┌─────────────── Media Center ──────────────────────────────────┐
Notes:                   └─ UniFi Switch 8 ─────────┬─ UniFi Access Point nanoHD (PoE)
═══ is Multi-Gigabit                                ├─ Sony Playstation 4 
─── is Gigabit                                      ├─ Pioneer VSX-S520
* = cable passed to Bedroom from Media Center       ├─ Sony XR65A80K (Google TV)
** = cable passed from Media Center to Bedroom      └─ Work Laptop** (Startech USB-PD Dock)

Retired/Other:

Spoiler

Laptop (Rozen-Zulu): Sony VAIO VPCF13WFX | Core i7-740QM | 8GB Patriot DDR3 | GT 425M | Samsung 850EVO 250GB SSD | Blu-ray Drive | Intel 7260 Wifi (lived a good life, retired with honor)

Testbed/Old Desktop (Kshatriya): Xeon X5470 @ 4.0GHz | ZALMAN CNPS9500 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3L | 8GB Nanya DDR2 400MHz | XFX HD6870 DD | OCZ Vertex 3 Max-IOPS 120GB | Corsair CX430M | HooToo USB 3.0 PCIe Card | Osprey 230 Video Capture | NZXT H230 Case

TrueNAS Server (La Vie en Rose): Xeon E3-1241v3 | Supermicro X10SLL-F | Corsair H60 | 32GB Micron DDR3L ECC 1600MHz | 1x Kingston 16GB SSD / Crucial MX500 500GB

8 minutes ago, AbydosOne said:

Usually the two are different though. It's definitely not good to confuse the two and sometimes they are kinda both as with bad working conditions some are not gonna want to work which sorta makes sense. Things that try and improve those conditions are usually something they would likely approve of. Then there are some who simply don't want to work period but that seems rare to me. I would get so bored if I didn't have work to do. Sure it's nice to not work for awhile but it gets boring pretty fast at least that was my experience while unemployed due to covid layoffs. 

About the attack, people don't secure their internet connected devices, color me shocked.

About the contents of it, big fan. I've got no issues with my current employer, I work with great people, do interesting things, bosses that treat us with respect, and according to some folks that have been there much longer than I have, raises that keep up with industry wage growth, which is a surprisingly rare thing. Past employers have been a very different story. I've seen many of the people around me, especially in jobs considered "unskilled", being basically exploited. A lot of them were poor adults with multiple children and multiple jobs and didn't have the time to get the experience necessary for a better job. They couldn't risk holding out for a better offer, because not getting this job meant not being able to make rent. Kept on the cusp of part-time so they couldn't get benefits, lower pay, you name it. Just before I left a high school job at a big box store I found out that a few of my coworkers were making almost $2 an hour less than I was for positions with way more work than I had, and even I wasn't being paid all that much, $12.50 an hour or thereabouts. A union would be great for them, but of course it's bad for business so any thoughts of unionizing must be brutally crushed.

Totally off-topic, but does anyone else see the tweet flickering between having and not having a scroll bar? It seems like it's just long enough to need a scroll bar, but the scroll bar appearing causes it to shrink and not need a scroll bar, and when the scroll bar goes away it gets bigger again, and thus continues the circle of life.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

8 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Totally off-topic, but does anyone else see the tweet flickering between having and not having a scroll bar? It seems like it's just long enough to need a scroll bar, but the scroll bar appearing causes it to shrink and not need a scroll bar, and when the scroll bar goes away it gets bigger again, and thus continues the circle of life.

Yep. Probably an IPS bug. 

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

8 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Wonder if they’re printing white on black background? Just to suck down that toner. 

They're doing white on black background, but they're turning off greyscale so it makes black with all of the other colors and uses 3x the toner XD

3 hours ago, Heliian said:

If they can get our printers to work remotely then they're hired.  

Yeah, I've worked with printers long enough to know how true that is. 

For a brief period I found this image and sent this to unsecured printers I found for fun. 

Secure Your Printer You Must - Yoda | Meme Generator

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

6 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Absolutely same thing happening here

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

8 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

may have started off that way but it's now definitely just people who want everything provided for them while they sit and do nothing

Ok, that's very funny 😆 if you're a sysadmin beware your own printers... or don't, this stuff helps you too...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

About the attack, people don't secure their internet connected devices, color me shocked.

People haven't been securing their printers since the 90's, when they first found their way onto the internet. Hell there are plenty of HP Jetdirect laserjet III's and later that are exposed to the internet because they were just plugged into the first ethernet cable found in the office.

Here's the thing, and I'd suggest this in both enterprise and personal printers, take the dang printer off the "computer" network. Put it behind a proper print server, otherwise connect it via USB only.

The problem is that many "home" printers end in offices for secure prints, and they end up in default configurations rather than being connected only to the PC it's used by. Hell the office I was doing work for, had three such printers, and I made a point of disabling the jetdirect on the two that were only connected to one machine. The third was shared by a few people in that corner of the building. Everyone else used the Xerox devices.

Which reminds me. Good grief there are seemingly no Xerox people in BC. It's one thing to sell/lease your printer kit to businesses, but it's an entirely other animal when you need support for it, and nobody knows the admin password.

The last thing I'll do in my life is take work advise from commies. 

Underpaid? *checks last paycheck* lol nope

Asking for more money? Almost a yearly occurrence for me. If I feel like I'm not getting what I think I'm worth, I just start looking elsewhere.

Poverty wages exist because people believe that a job interview is a one sided discussion. As linus mentioned a couple of times in his vids, communication is the most important of skills in life.

Anyway, I think I've found the perfect workplace (both in terms of cash and the people I work with) after changing job so many times. It may be the hill I'll stick with till the end, or till I decide to finally open my own bar and be done with programming for good.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

15 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

The last thing I'll do in my life is take work advise from commies.

Underpaid? *checks last paycheck* lol nope

Asking for more money? Almost a yearly occurrence for me. If I feel like I'm not getting what I think I'm worth, I just start looking elsewhere.

So, because what they're saying doesn't apply to you, they're automatically commies? Or worthless advice?

If your current employment situation is great, hey, happy for you; but don't assume it applies to everyone.

Poverty wages exist because people believe that a job interview is a one sided discussion. As linus mentioned a couple of times in his vids, communication is the most important of skills in life.

Sometimes, unfortunately, it kinda is. If you don't have a job and you urgently need something, anything, to at least try to make ends meet, you take whatever you can get.

Anyway, I think I've found the perfect workplace (both in terms of cash and the people I work with) after changing job so many times.

And that's another reason to grab a job, any job, when you don't have one. 
When you go to an interview and you're already working, it gives you some more negotiation power. "You don't want to hire me? Oh well, I'll just go back to my current job". You don't have as much on the line.

1 hour ago, Rauten said:

When you go to an interview and you're already working, it gives you some more negotiation power. "You don't want to hire me? Oh well, I'll just go back to my current job". You don't have as much on the line.

It's also a question of the field you are in. Skilled IT or EE person? Oh yeah you will easily find a job. Unfortunately many peeps just don't have what it takes to master those and end up in fields where the supply of workers is much higher than suitable jobs.

14 hours ago, AbydosOne said:

What they are is thieves. They're stealing toner and time, both of the people waiting for the printer and those that have to replace the toner cartridge.

3 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

What they are is thieves. They're stealing toner and time, both of the people waiting for the printer and those that have to replace the toner cartridge.

The average medium use printer toner is $80 and is good for 15,000 to 20,000 pages. Assuming they're printing 10 pages a day they a wasting $0.04 - $0.053 in toner. Last I checked they weren't absolutely spamming every printer. Just a few pages here and there.

2 hours ago, Rauten said:

So, because what they're saying doesn't apply to you, they're automatically commies? Or worthless advice?

If your current employment situation is great, hey, happy for you; but don't assume it applies to everyone.

Sometimes, unfortunately, it kinda is. If you don't have a job and you urgently need something, anything, to at least try to make ends meet, you take whatever you can get.

more likely that he got to that conclusion from the fact that it came from /r/antiwork, and that they think unions are the solution 

-= Locked =-

We only have one rule about politics here.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER