Why do older keyboards have two windows keys?

JaxTer193

I saw some old OEM Lenovo keyboards and noticed that they had two windows keys. I can not fathom the idea of a person pressing the right windows key.

3 minutes ago, JaxTer193 said:

I saw some old OEM Lenovo keyboards and noticed that they had two windows keys. I can not fathom the idea of a person pressing the right windows key.

Thank you for making me feel old. My current keyboard, thats 10 years old has that. Also I use the 2nd windows key actually 😄

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

not "older" keyboards, it's just the standard layout to have two.

the idea is that like shift and ctrl, it's a modifier key, and you can use either hand to access it, while using the other hand to access the key you want to "modify".

it's just that the windows key is rarely used in today's "what are hotkeys anymore" era of computing.

Looking at a few keyboards I have around me, one has two Windows keys. It also has a lot of extra dedicated function keys, which I think could be important. The other two keyboards do not have a right Windows key, but do have a Fn key which modifies various keys into extra functions.

By extra functions, I mean things like volume control, track control, "game mode" toggle where the Windows key is disabled. So I'd guess it is especially depreciated on gaming focused keyboards.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Why do keyboards have two shift keys?

(cause left + right hand)

Personally I'm only using all those keys with my left hand and the right ones are never touched.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

All the other modifier keys are duplicated left to right, so why not?

Like many other aspects of desktop computers, it probably goes back to ye olde days when everyone was expected to be a touch-typist and do as much as possible with the keyboard. 

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

It is a full sized vs compact difference, rather than age.

If you need to find space on the bottom row for a function key, or two, and possibly some of the arrow key cluster, the duplicate keys are a good place to start. You can't get rid of the right Alt, as in Europe it's Alt Gr, to access special characters. So that leaves the right Control & Windows/Super keys, and that weird key that just opens menus.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Why do keyboards have two shift keys?

(cause left + right hand)

Personally I'm only using all those keys with my left hand and the right ones are never touched.

if you actually write "touch" you use both, for capital letters typed with the opposite hand.. 

15 minutes ago, Robchil said:

if you actually write "touch" you use both, for capital letters typed with the opposite hand.. 

I'm at 130+wpm and I don't use my right hand for any of the modifier keys.  I shift my left fingers while my pinky is occupied with shift key so if I need to do a capital A I'm hitting shift with my pinky and A with my ring finger.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I changed mine to context menu since there isn't one but has FN key. But yeah, command keys are duplicated on both sides. Even though I never use one side really.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm at 130+wpm and I don't use my right hand for any of the modifier keys.  I shift my left fingers while my pinky is occupied with shift key so if I need to do a capital A I'm hitting shift with my pinky and A with my ring finger.

Same, I shift all of my letters with my left.

5 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I just realized I don't use the left shift either, at least for letters, mind blown. I still use it for most of the symbols, but that's it. Never use left Control, and only use the left Alt for the € symbol (Alt Gr + 4 is € on a UK keyboard)

This reminds me, I need to find properly sized Tux keys to replace the 3 windows keys on my two keyboards. o.x

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Most standard fullsize or TKL 80 keyboards have 2x windows keys... why?  because left handed people exist?   I know as I am one...  

My decade old but still available Filco Majestouch 2 TKL.

filcoTKL_7.jpg

14 minutes ago, atarione said:

Most standard fullsize or TKL 80 keyboards have 2x windows keys... why?  because left handed people exist?   I know as I am one...  

My decade old but still available Filco Majestouch 2 TKL.

I'm wondering if OP asked this question because they only looked at 60%, 65%, 75% and 96% boards lol.

Although, Keychron's pictures for their TKL boards only uses MacOS keys where there would normally be Windows keys.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |