Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram face outage[Fixed now]

If only Facebook would stay down forever. WhatsApp and Insta can stay.

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

43 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

WhatssApp is the main messing app for a lot of people.

But it's completely replaceable, there pretty much isn't anything that's exclusive to Whatsapp. It could die and never come back tonight, everybody could just install an equivalent like Signal and be back in business in 5 minutes.

The only reason people use Whatsapp is that other people use Whatsapp, but everybody could move away in a pinch.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

But it's completely replaceable, there pretty much isn't anything that's exclusive to Whatsapp. It could die and never come back tonight, everybody could just install an equivalent like Signal and be back in business in 5 minutes.

The only reason people use Whatsapp is that other people use Whatsapp, but everybody could move away in a pinch.

But theres the issue of having your previous messages and content

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Yeah sure would be a bit annoying, but it's not like you'll die if you lose your old convos...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

4 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

But theres the issue of having your previous messages and content

Which is all stored locally on the device and can be exported to a file without the app ever having to talk to facebook. I know because I just did it.

As long as you didn't uninstall the app, you'd be fine.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

3 minutes ago, pythonmegapixel said:

As long as you didn't uninstall the app, you'd be fine.

Or have an iPhone, becasue it's a pain on iOS.

F@H

GPD Win 2

At least 9GAG is at your Service for Meme Content... it is kinda quiet, no WhatsApps incoming at all... but a bit boring, hope they fix it soon.

2323.png.55e43dc741012f297d3bde90386e0697.png

Lets hope its offline for long enough for the addicts to realise the outside world does infact exist.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It is an interesting experiment to see how big the mobile phone/sms usage spike is going to be. I do not think that people are going to use other messengers. They are going to wait and pray.

For some reason my home network stopped working the same time as this is happening, most likely random but [insert conspiracy theory]

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

This is going to be a resume generating event for someone....

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Roku running on Facebook's servers?  Their site is down too.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

29 minutes ago, trag1c said:

This is going to be a resume generating event for someone....

A friend mentioned (And they tend to be plugged into the right circles) that it's a massive coordinated DDoS attack.  

18 minutes ago, tkitch said:

A friend mentioned (And they tend to be plugged into the right circles) that it's a massive coordinated DDoS attack.  

Interesting. That's must be massive if it's enough to do this kind of damage.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Lets hope its offline for long enough for the addicts to realise the outside world does infact exist.

only if they don't get to get coronavirus induced pneumonia .

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Or have an iPhone, becasue it's a pain on iOS.

? How so? Tap on contact name, „Export Chat“, and you get a zip that you can Email/Airdrop/whatever.

Is it just me or does the Internet seem a lot faster today?

All of the Facebook stuff is down here too. Good thing I only use WhatsApp for work and family stuff so I don't care lmao. Time to push people over to Signal !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.