Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram face outage[Fixed now]

Damn it! It was such a relief they were down, it's like the world actually existed and was in a a calm peace.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I wonder how many people called the police/emergency number in their country.

The sad thing is I know this has such an element of truth to it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, wamred said:

Yeah, this took a while lol. How much do you think they lost?

mark Zuckerberg lost 7 billion.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

2 minutes ago, adarw said:

mark Zuckerberg lost 7 billion.

Only virtually and it's temporary. It's all just stock valuation not actually money/currency and you can sure bet the FB stock price will go back up to where it was in a short amount of time.

Basically Zuck lost 7 billion down the couch and is just rummaging around to find it again.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Only virtually and it's temporary. It's all just stock valuation not actually money/currency and you can sure bet the FB stock price will go back up to where it was in a short amount of time.

Basically Zuck lost 7 billion down the couch and is just rummaging around to find it again.

Ah that makes sense.

Facebook uses php. Bad things happen to php users. Consider this as a warning 🙂/s

anywhoozle, somebody(probably soon to be fired) messed up their border gateway config, and broke not only the oculus, fb, whatsapp and instagram servers, but also took down facebook's internal network, and locked up their biometrics, doors, parking, version control(git?) etc systems. It lasted this long, because to fix the issue, they needed to reset the network and required a network engineer to manually fix it.

8 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Outlook.com on the fritz.

Mobile Outlook is dead. The web version for PC still works.

-edit-

Nope, Outlook works fine again for mobile.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

10 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Meh, it wouldnt be a huge loss if it doesnt came back....

Agreed. Facebook is such cancer on society.

13 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

Agreed. Facebook is such cancer on society.

Along with twitter, reddit, whatsapp, instagram...   Basically most of what the internet is used for.

Hell even imgur is hell hole full of petulant ignorance at times.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

6 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Along with twitter, reddit, whatsapp, instagram...   Basically most of what the internet is used for.

Imgur was fun until the Marketing companies figured out how to manipulate the algo there. It's been Astroturf ever since.

4 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Imgur was fun until the Marketing companies figured out how to manipulate the algo there. It's been Astroturf ever since.

On the rare occasion I go back there I usually find about 10% of the content worth looking at, once the content moves past meme kittens or dodgy drivers the comments go full retard in a matter of seconds.

1 hour ago, mr moose said:

Two of those are parts of facebook but yes I agree, social media is for the most part a cancer on society.

Based on this:

I havent found any article that backs it up, but a theory I have is that problems with home internet at the same time as this is because of this. That the Internet Providers DNS resolver got overloaded.

At least, the problems was worked for few sec but slow then didn't at all for a while and repeat, something that could be a sign of overloading.

Just a theory tho. Didn't think of trying to change DNS resolver, but didn't feel I needed to fix it yesterday either so...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

I havent found any article that backs it up, but a theory I have is that problems with home internet at the same time as this is because of this. That the Internet Providers DNS resolver got overloaded.

Not quite , most DNS servers were working just fine, apparently  Facebook messed up it’s  networking/routing infrastructure (BGP ) thus the rest of the internet couldn’t connect to its servers . Here’s cloudfare ‘s explanation : https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

1 minute ago, sir_A4D_ said:

Not quite , most DNS servers were working just fine, apparently  Facebook messed up it’s  networking/routing infrastructure (BGP ) thus the rest of the internet couldn’t connect to its servers . Here’s cloudfare ‘s explanation : https://blog.cloudflare.com/october-2021-facebook-outage/

Yep but this meant seventy billion phones, tablets, tv sticks, alexas and any other device that has permanent FB intergration support were all constantly trying to ping FBs servers which put a huge strain on the rest of the internet (because we all know a FB enabled device cannot go more that 10 seconds with sending something back to zucks personal email).

It was a DDOS, just not one done by any kind of activist group.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Beskamir said:

Two of those are parts of facebook but yes I agree, social media is for the most part a cancer on society.

I was just reeling therm off the top of my head, I'd also add linkedin to that list,  It's not supposed to be social media but it's a cluster fuck of pseudo professionals who all seem to to use it as a dick measuring tool.

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

On the rare occasion I go back there I usually find about 10% of the content worth looking at, once the content moves past meme kittens or dodgy drivers the comments go full retard in a matter of seconds.

Imgur became the YT Comments section in a real hurry: 1/2 of them aren't real people. But, before that, Imgur was straight up one of the better Internet experiences. Was the right collection of Picture and short animation memetic content. And I'll never look at Batman in the rain again, ever the same.

It's always so fascinating to me that you can shut down such a huge network with a click of a button.

Reminded me of when he activated Skynet by just clicking "Y":

(Except here he turned it on instead of shutting it down)

3 hours ago, WindirBear said:

A lot of Facebook hate going around here.

What do you expect? Facebook is one of the worst social media platforms out there for a whole lot of reasons. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04