Audacity classed as spyware

Captain Gecko

Summary

Audacity, a free audio recording software that is currently used by millions, has been call out as spyware in a recent report. It's new privacy policy changes, that were updated June 2nd, have revealed the software is collecting user data and sharing it with whoever they like, including sending the data to Russia. 

Muse purchased Audacity in May

The list of data collected includes:
Users country (based on IP address)

Non-fatal error codes
Users OS and version
Processor in use

edit:
The changes will come into affect with Audacity 3.0

Quotes

"Audacity, the well-known open-source audio-editing software, has been called spyware in a report, with privacy policy changes revealing the tool is collecting data on its users and sharing it with other firms, as well as sending the data to Russia."

My thoughts

This is why we can't have nice things, Luckily we have a decent community of people developing a fork of 2.0. 

Sources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/07/04/open-source-audacity-deemed-spyware-over-data-collection-changes

They already rowed back quite a bit from gathering data one or two weeks ago... maybe three, because of the s**tstorm it did turn lose. 

If they are back on "hey we gather data" they changed their meinds quite quickly a second time.

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

5 minutes ago, Anghammarad said:

They already rowed back quite a bit from gathering data one or two weeks ago... maybe three, because of the s**tstorm it did turn lose. 

If they are back on "hey we gather data" they changed their meinds quite quickly a second time.

this is from there latest privacy policy which was updated AFTER they said they were not going to, lol. 

5 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

I'm guessing this applies to the latest version then? I mean I'm still using whatever version I downloaded 6 years ago.

Yeah, sorry forgot to put that in the post, it's from version 3.0, current release is 2.0

39 minutes ago, Sniperpaul296 said:

Luckily we have a decent community of people developing a fork of 2.0. 

Got a source to the fork?

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

I use it since (I think) 2005. It knows me more than I know me apparently 😂

Audacity isn't spyware though. This is just a bunch of people on reddit upset that the Audacity devs are allowing opt-in telemetry cos Audacity needs to have error reporting info.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Again proven over and over again that there are no free stuff so you have to pay it somehow, is by money or with your personal data that`s up to you.

You can just block the app from accessing your internet. You can block the internet  connection for the app in firewall. Or use an old release.

If my answer is correct or is helpful please mark it as the solution. Quote me in your post to summon me. Beware that after summoning me ill never leave. 

1 hour ago, akio123008 said:

I'm guessing this applies to the latest version then? I mean I'm still using whatever version I downloaded 6 years ago.

Me too,I'm on 2.3.2,  The testimony to audacity is that (as a make believe producer/sound tech) even when I have the option to use audacity, goldwave, soundforge, premier, Reaper, FL studio, or pro tools, I often find myself on the older audacity more than one would expect.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, Sniperpaul296 said:

The list of data collected includes:

Non-fatal error codes
Users OS and version
Processor in use

Wow, such sensitive data... the only potentially identifying information would be the IP address and the devs have stated this is only stored for a single day and not shared with other entities.

Also this is opt-in, meaning disabled by default, so can we please stop with the senseless outrage? Do we really need a fork just to remove opt in telemetry and then just leech off the main project for feature updates anyway?

1 hour ago, Gamer4714 said:

You can just block the app from accessing your internet. You can block the internet  connection for the app in firewall. Or use an old release.

Or just not opt in.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

So when is audiovillage, the open source alternative free of audacity-spyware coming?

This is the benefit of FOSS. You can create a fork and continue working on it, like nothing ever changed

Non-fatal error codes
Users OS and version
Processor in use

oh no...how dare they.....

are people stupid?

as well as sending the data to Russia

i will never understand why this is always called out specifically. Why is data being sent to Russia any worse than being sent to any other country?

especially for such basic data.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

44 minutes ago, Arika S said:

oh no...how dare they.....

are people stupid?

i will never understand why this is always called out specifically. Why is data being sent to Russia any worse than being sent to any other country?

especially for such basic data.

That and they could just... direct it to a euro/US server and then send it onwards, cloaking it's Russian destination.

This whole "Russia/China" digital data scare tactic is just propaganda to make sure we all know who the "enemy" is.

In reality, the US and UK are spying just as much as Russia is - they're all being dickheads to humanity.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Me too,I'm on 2.3.2,  The testimony to audacity is that (as a make believe producer/sound tech) even when I have the option to use audacity, goldwave, soundforge, premier, Reaper, FL studio, or pro tools, I often find myself on the older audacity more than one would expect.

Got 2.3.2 too! Downloaded in late 2019 been sitting as a portable install since then, no plans on updating it because why would you.

3 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

That does not need to include any personal info though.....

And it doesn't minus the IP address which

@Sauron

Already debunked as saying it's disposed of after 1 day.

This is completely normal telemetry to collect and will help the developer identify issues before they cause problems for users.

But most importantly, this is OPT IN. You have to affirmatively agree to have this data collected otherwise it doesn't happen. I don't know how you can make telemetry more private than that.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, Kadzo said:

Again proven over and over again that there are no free stuff so you have to pay it somehow, is by money or with your personal data that`s up to you.

In the case of open source software that's not always true.

In this case it isn't. All the collected data is to help developers make a better product which in this case is audacity.

5 hours ago, Sniperpaul296 said:

The changes will come into affect with Audacity 3.0

That is an important detail. Thankfully as Audacity is open source, people have forked the current version which won't have the tracking

https://github.com/cookiengineer/audacity for version 2.4

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

2 hours ago, James Evens said:

simple and old ideology:

Russia = bad

China = the worst/devil

America = perfect

western countries = okay ish

yes and no, also how most people have just been going with and becoming complicit to some of these companies that are from such regions.

Spoiler

Feeling better when it's all funneled through the "right" people, or to sides like google etc. (google ads or all the collecting they will do "no matter what")

As in one way or another, google and other big brands is going to be there for the services you use, but like you say, could push back a lot, a lot more.

Then again would never accept facebook account for VR though, or fitness nonsense tracking deluxe.

Also that some of this information would be used differently, although sure, we don't know if other countries would sell this info to russia or china anyways making it all a bit mute.

It would be nice if one had more of a say towards some of the american companies, either it being google, facebook or microsoft with their big services like windows that is so commonly used or google services used in so many other applications. sadly as with how I read EULA, see how often it's not made to care about privacy or going around certain issues and just to stay out of "legal trouble". not sure about GDPR though, and how much its in effect and allows to blocking or just window dressing for having an "option". From around games, with DRM's, malware/spyware used, cheat engines doing more than you would like. To how bad server protection might be or other information, EA or others with their data collection and how can we trust their server handling certain information and data leaks.

Considering its open source, I don't think its too big of a deal. Its good people are made aware of the changes, but its not like it forces updates or anything, so, meh.

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

Why is data being sent to Russia any worse than being sent to any other country?

because they have large scale, government funded, troll farms and cyber attacks? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberwarfare_by_Russia

read the news every once and a while

Very shady 

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3

So in other words, they’re collecting anonymous crash logs if you opt in. 

The horror! 

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20