Scammers abusing falsified Twitter DMCA takedown requests to suspend artist accounts working under pseudonyms to doxx them, demand ransom

doomfest

Summary

I'm a new user and I apologize if this is against the rules / too offtopic. I'm from the art community on Twitter (and a LTT watcher since 2015). I am hoping letting a community outside my niche know about this loophole around Twitter / DMCA law/implementation would help spur Twitter into actually doing something about it. Recently a number of artist accounts (some of them my friends & mutuals) operating under pseudonyms have gotten their accounts suspended from Twitter's automatic DMCA takedown system from scammer(s) filing multiple falsified DMCA claims against a single account. 

Quotes

A number of artists are currently being attacked by false DMCA claims in an attempt to dox them. Several have had their accounts suspended, including Yueko in the last few minutes. DO NOT give out your personal info in the counter claim

Yueko: The person responsible has admitted to using a bot and made threats ON twitter to myself and 2 other artists affected. Its really hilarious because its likely this is just some lowlife wannabe 'hacker' trying to be edgy- but twitter's system is so broken that it facilitates this.

If you know the account, don't give them attention or link it here because that's what they want. Its just really laughable how low-effort and transparent this whole thing has been but Twitter still allows it to happen and affect artists who depend on their platforms

My thoughts

I believe this has implications far outside the art community, and directly shows the shortcomings of our dated DMCA laws, which are originally meant to protect creators from bad actors infringing upon the rights to their work.

The implementation of these laws is having the opposite effect, and doesn't necessarily only affect artists on Twitter, who can have a significant chunk of their livelihood come from it. Not every account attacked has been suspended, but Twitter support has been completely unhelpful so far, based on what Yueko has to say on her new alt account.

Edit 1: I've been informed by one of the replies that abusing DMCA law isn't new; what's particularly frustrating about this is twitter's borderline malicious levels of negligence when handling the counterclaim. Yueko has had her counterclaim rejected when even basic levels of investigation by twitter into this should make it very clear it's a DMCA troll. Some accounts have been suspended for months; it's not known when / if they will ever return.

Sources

https://twitter.com/MattikarpArt/status/1390975971763703808

https://twitter.com/yueko___/status/1391474502186377217

The sad thing is I'm not surprised

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

38 minutes ago, doomfest said:

dated DMCA laws

They've been abused since their creation.

They were worded vaguely (poorly, from our POV) on purpose. Just like the RICO laws, and the PATRIOT act and a whole host of other broad sweeping laws. But we wont go there on this forum.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I've seen them post about it on Twitter.

The fact that there's no way to appeal it, without providing your info to the scammers is deplorable.

It shouldn't be this hard to find out if the art you've made, is yours or someone else's. It's too easy to abuse the DMCA on these big platforms, because they just let every notices through without actually verifying anything. A reform is more than needed.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Just now, TetraSky said:

I've seen them post about it on Twitter.

The fact that there's no way to appeal it, without providing your info to the scammers is deplorable.

It shouldn't be this hard to find out if the art you've made, is yours or someone else's. It's to easy to abuse the DMCA on these big platforms, because they just let every notices through without actually verifying anything.

They let the notices through because if they didn't them the RIAA/MPAA/etc would be screaming bloody murder about how unfair they are to them and how they enjoy helping piracy and that they missed out on $0.00000001 one time and need that money or some starving artist they (RIAA/MPAA/etc) screwed over might realize how scummy their practices are.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Honestly I hate Twitter and believe its one of the lowest forms of communication. I am not surprised people taking advantage of DMCA, this is done on all social media platforms tbh where sites are so scared they would rather take videos/content down before any burden of proof is done. 

Abusing the system, just like on youtube.

Been done for years, not sure if you would call this thread more personal.

While it would be nice to show all exploits/abuses and how to deal with them.

The bad thing about this is that google, twitter, etc make it far too easy to get info nobody should easily get. I just recently learned my email is visible on Google and it cant be turned off...  like why?

imo these services all needed to get shut down until they get their act together, especially regarding privacy and other personal rights.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Quackers101 said:

Abusing the system, just like on youtube.

Well, it's not exactly like on YouTube. With this exploit it looks like any hillbilly could use it while I don't believe a similar exploit exists on YouTube. Sure there's definitely similar issues that do happen on YouTube, but there's usually a sizeable company behind it that's fucking over a creator over a small group or even a single person in the case of twitter.

The human race is truly nature's greatest mistake.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

The bad thing about this is that google, twitter, etc make it far too easy to get info nobody should easily get. I just recently learned my email is visible on Google and it cant be turned off...  like why?

imo these services all needed to get shut down until they get their act together, especially regarding privacy and other personal rights.

Not quite sure how such a shut down could be carried out with a bare minimum of collateral damage/inconvenience. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, doomfest said:

Summary

I'm a new user and I apologize if this is against the rules / too offtopic. I'm from the art community on Twitter (and a LTT watcher since 2015). I am hoping letting a community outside my niche know about this loophole around Twitter / DMCA law/implementation would help spur Twitter into actually doing something about it. Recently a number of artist accounts (some of them my friends & mutuals) operating under pseudonyms have gotten their accounts suspended from Twitter's automatic DMCA takedown system from scammer(s) filing multiple falsified DMCA claims against a single account. 

Quotes

My thoughts

I believe this has implications far outside the art community, and directly shows the shortcomings of our dated DMCA laws, which are originally meant to protect creators from bad actors infringing upon the rights to their work.

The implementation of these laws is having the opposite effect, and doesn't necessarily only affect artists on Twitter, who can have a significant chunk of their livelihood come from it. Not every account attacked has been suspended, but Twitter support has been completely unhelpful so far, based on what Yueko has to say on her new alt account.

Sources

https://twitter.com/MattikarpArt/status/1390975971763703808

https://twitter.com/yueko___/status/1391474502186377217

The detail missing from this story is that the one doing it is blackmailing them for ransoms. This is the entire problem created when a company isn't permitted to look at evidence from off-site.

Like I remember back with (auction site), most stuff that came in under infringement, was just "take it down", it was all human reviewed, but only like 3 seconds was really needed to take it down, because stolen images was usually enough to take things down. All those drop-shipper chinese counterfeits love claiming that their images were stolen when they all stole the images from the authentic source.

So if this process at twitter has no human review, that's a problem worse than youtube's. Youtube at least now requires some effort by the one filing it if they aren't trusted (though many rights agencies shotgun claims anyway.) Twitter, gets a weird pass on this because neither the image or video upload process really permits abuse in the first place, so someone filing a DMCA on twitter is either a troll, or doesn't know how Twitter works. You want "fake" brands and those impersonating you to be removed, but it's difficult for some outsourcer who doesn't live in the country, let alone part of the community to know the difference between "yes this is funny" and "no this is clearly harassment"

I've seen at least three people I know on twitter get suspended for what seems like arbitrary claims that anyone who actually followed the account would have seen as them just doing their "bit" and not some greater threat.

Don't do business with twitter.

Build your own site

And this post was brought to you by...

SQUARESPACE

Square Space, build it beautiful

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

8 hours ago, doomfest said:

directly shows the shortcomings of our dated DMCA laws

Yep, its almost entirely the US copyright laws, not *too* much twitter can do, but they could possibly make some changes? Honestly, twitter, youtube, and other tech giants just need to come together and work out new copyright laws to propose to congress and use their power to get things changed for the better. Companies hate it just as much as we do. They don't want to ban people for no reason, removing content from their site.

6 hours ago, GodSeph said:

Honestly I hate Twitter and believe its one of the lowest forms of communication.

Seriously? Its perfectly fine as a communication tool.

9 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Honestly, Twitter is MEANT to be a communication tool.  Of course, that's not how a lot of people use it; the bad stories you hear about are the people using it as a Facebook alternative, which it is AWFUL for.

On the same hand, I don't think Twitter is the best communication tool.  Discord, Whatsapp, and Snapchat definitely have them beat, along with more tools that I'm not thinking of right now.

Twitter as an information broadcasting tool?  Eh...it's okay.  There are plenty of other things I'd prefer to use for broadcasting, as well.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

I don't think Twitter is the best communication tool.  Discord, Whatsapp, and Snapchat definitely have them beat

but those are all private chats. What better platform is there to announce I have a new product on my website?

1 hour ago, Techstorm970 said:

There are plenty of other things I'd prefer to use for broadcasting, as well.

I honestly can't think of any besides pillowfort, but its a small site right now.

DMCA being abused by bots? Oh that doesnt sound good.. But then again twitter starts to remind me on how valve solves cheats.. By doing absolutely nothing.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

5 hours ago, poochyena said:

Yep, its almost entirely the US copyright laws, not *too* much twitter can do, but they could possibly make some changes? Honestly, twitter, youtube, and other tech giants just need to come together and work out new copyright laws to propose to congress and use their power to get things changed for the better. Companies hate it just as much as we do. They don't want to ban people for no reason, removing content from their site.

Twitter is a fine communication tool if used correctly but also a horrible one if used incorrectly. For conversations its pretty horrible imo. If its for announcements or sending a simple message to followers then its very effective. 

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Twitter is a fine communication tool if used correctly but also a horrible one if used incorrectly. For conversations its pretty horrible imo. If its for announcements or sending a simple message to followers then its very effective. 

yes, it can be very nice if you only used it for more useful accounts and quick information about an event or so.

But else, it's a place to just spread toxic waste, so if you know what you are looking for it might do good, rather than be the swamp it can be like.

Unfortunately, since most online services require real name/personal details for DMCA counters the only way around this is to have a lawyer file it on your behalf. Not really a twitter exclusive problem. Just copyright being broken in general

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

5 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

But else, it's a place to just spread toxic waste, so if you know what you are looking for it might do good, rather than be the swamp it can be like.

that describes literally every place in the world and on the internet

Ah, the DMCA, the gift that keeps on giving. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16