Valve losses Steam controller patent lawsuit.

rcmaehl

Summary

Valve has lost a patent dispute over "additional controls on the back of a pad to be operated by the user’s middle fingers"

Quotes

Valve has lost the first ever patent jury trial to be conducted remotely. The trial... began in late January. Ironburg alleged that... Valve was warned in 2014 that a prototype of the Steam Controller shown at... CES... featured the same rear-side controls it had recently patented. The patent, for additional controls on the back of a pad to be operated by the user’s middle fingers, would later be licensed by Microsoft for use in its Xbox Elite controllers. Despite the warning, Valve went on to launch its controller and reportedly sold 1.6 million units before the product was discontinued. “Valve did know that its conduct involved an unreasonable risk of infringement, but it simply proceeded to infringe anyway” Ironburg’s lawyer, had argued. Valve claimed there was no infringement, but the jury found otherwise and Ironburg was awarded $4 million in damages. While the award is on the low end of the damages range sought by Ironburg, the possibility of enhancements remains as jurors decided that Valve had willfully infringed the patent.

My thoughts

Big oof for Valvo there. In my opinion it seems like such an obvious thing to create, just extra button controllers, but of course, even the simplest of changes and additions can be copyrighted and protected here and Ironburg was fully within their right. I'm sure discovery will have brought to light any willfulness infringement if any existed.

Sources

Polygon
Rock Paper Shotgun

Video Game Chronicles (quote source)

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I operate the triggers on my PS4 and PS5 controllers with my middle fingers...so yeah Valve was basing their case on shaky ground.

Edit: I probably misunderstood what was going on. The patent shouldn't even exist.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

There has to come a point where patents like this are outright banned (similar with software patents...like how "Page Up" scrolling a full page length is patented).

For those that are curious, the patent is as follows

https://patents.google.com/patent/US8641525B2/en

At what point should patents be granted for design choices to solve a function.  (e.g. A cup should be be patented as a device to hold water).  It's ridiculous that a patent can exist for effectively trying to create a way to have a third trigger stick.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Wow, that is super lame of Microsoft to even patent such an "invention"... 

According to the quote, Ironburg (whoever they are) enforced and presumably hold the patent. Microsoft are a licensee of the patent, which I guess is what Ironburg wanted Valve to be.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

If you think this patent is dumb.

Remember that rounded corners and "slide to unlock" are patented as well

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

9 hours ago, Orangeator said:

Wow, that is super lame of Microsoft to even patent such an "invention"... 

one of the MS founders (not BG) is notorious for patent trolling.

So this is why the controller was DC. I could never get mine working in rocket league anyway.

12 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

My thoughts

Big oof for Valvo there. In my opinion it seems like such an obvious thing to create, just extra button controllers, but of course, even the simplest of changes and additions can be copyrighted and protected here and Ironburg was fully within their right. I'm sure discovery will have brought to light any willfulness infringement if any existed.

Most patents involving controllers are not novel or unique. Dang near everything in use today, Nintendo originally created. The + shaped D pad being the oldest one. Sony's contribution was basically adding two analog controls and two haptic feedback motors to what was otherwise a SNES pad (and the Playstation prototype that was originally the SNES CDROM, literately used a SNES pad.)

Beyond that, nothing really novel has been added. Twin shoulder buttons? Sony. Analog shoulder buttons? Nintendo. Both companies were sued by patent trolls for such things, and why the PS3 launch controllers had no haptic feedback, and why Nintendo hasn't put analog shoulder buttons in their controllers since (does the Switch have them?)

Anyway if you ask the question of why doesn't (company) put (thing) on their controller the answer is likely "idiot patents", basically "we were going to, but some idiot forgot to patent it before the trolls did."

It's another example of obvious things being patented and just didn't exist prior, not due to IP issues, but due to things like power or data bus concerns. Like you can't add analog controls to a SNES pad because the SNES pad bus doesn't provide enough power for it, it doesn't really have enough power for 4-controllers. The N64 and GameCube wired controllers have powered serial buses to drive their haptic features.

Like not even the "touch pad" stuff seen on the PS controllers I'd even consider novel because USB touch pads have been a thing since the late-90's, and capacitive touch pads have been a thing since 2008. 

Microphone and Headphones/speakers in the controller? Gamecube and DS already did it, before the Xbox controllers did. IMO, It's very likely that Microsoft licensed all the controller patents from Nintendo that applied. 

At any rate, Valve, and Google (Stadia)... have kinda botched their controllers. The Valve controller seems like they took the Xbox 360 controller and swapped the positions of the buttons/left-analog controller with two touch-pad like surfaces representing the D pad and right-analog.  The Stadia controller is basically the Playstation 3 controller with the Xbox 360 button labels.

The IMO, "correct" controller layout was always the SNES-like (eg playstation) pad, with 4-6 buttons on the front that are reached by the right thumb, and a right-analog, and likewise a D-pad and left-analog on the left, with the analog controllers in line with each other. The Xbox 360/GC layout favors FPS and not 2D games (analog controls are hell on 2D games that need precision left/right movement, eg tetris/dr.mario) with the strange-shaped + d-pad. The PS layout favors JRPG's and platformers.

11 hours ago, WereCat said:

Patents like this shouldn't exist in the first place. 

Not just these, but most patents shouldn't exist.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

44 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

100% agreement. Without patents, we would be living in the future and all out climate problems would have been solved by now.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

43 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

The problem is companies (and other holders) game the system as it exists. If they patented really new and unique stuff, is it unreasonable for them to not want others to easily copy it? So patents are a game in writing it in as broad a way as possible so you capture as much potential coverage as possible, but not so general it gets thrown out. Write it too tightly, someone can change something to get around it. As you can imagine, this is highly dependant on interpretation and if you disagree, you'll likely have a long and expensive legal process to go through.

I don't know the history of how patents came to exist, but the language they use makes no sense and I'm saying that having contributed (and thus named) on a patent in previous employment. All I can remember as part of the process were the endless meetings with legal to make sure what was in the patent was what the "invention" was, and the language was always a wall.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

The problem is companies (and other holders) game the system as it exists. If they patented really new and unique stuff, is it unreasonable for them to not want others to easily copy it? So patents are a game in writing it in as broad a way as possible so you capture as much potential coverage as possible, but not so general it gets thrown out. Write it too tightly, someone can change something to get around it. As you can imagine, this is highly dependant on interpretation and if you disagree, you'll likely have a long and expensive legal process to go through.

I don't know the history of how patents came to exist, but the language they use makes no sense and I'm saying that having contributed (and thus named) on a patent in previous employment. All I can remember as part of the process were the endless meetings with legal to make sure what was in the patent was what the "invention" was, and the language was always a wall.

In the USA, the Constitution allows Congress to pass Laws supporting Patents for Limited Times  to encourage Inventors.

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

41 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

In the USA, the Constitution allows Congress to pass Laws supporting Patents for Limited Times  to encourage Inventors.

If that was in reference to my question on the history of patents itself, it was more in general and not country specific. The concept of patents have existed far longer than the USA has. In the modern world, English language patents (not limited to USA) are written in a particular way, and it was more specifically that which I was wondering how it came about.

I would perhaps add “shouldn’t exist any more”. Back when Disney forced patent extension in an epically expensive multi year federal thing involving massive lobbying in order to protect its going-out-of-copywrite stuff the did a major disservice to the world.  People knew what would happen at the time but were unable to stop it.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Losing over a controller like that... also being able to patent something like that is just rather lame. Really as we know the whole patent system is nonsense.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

11 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Losing over a controller like that... also being able to patent something like that is just rather lame. Really as we know the whole patent system is nonsense.

It’s not nonsense. The patent system remains the primary driver of invention.  It is broken though. As far as I can tell, It was broken by making patents last too long, and some other knock-on abuses like the way patents are filed today by large companies.  It was done by Disney during iirc the Carter administration.  Patents were great for 400 years before that.  The issue with open source is it has its own economic drivers involving fame and hireability.  It can produce incredibly effective systems but it doesn’t always.  More did than does lately it seems.  It’s the older open source stuff that is the most useful it seems.  I don’t know if the world can survive without patents or not.  They are diseased though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

26 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s not nonsense. The patent system remains the primary driver of invention.  It is broken though. As far as I can tell, It was broken by making patents last too long, and some other knock-on abuses like the way patents are filed today by large companies.  It was done by Disney during iirc the Carter administration.  Patents were great for 400 years before that.  The issue with open source is it has its own economic drivers involving fame and hireability.  It can produce incredibly effective systems but it doesn’t always.  More did than does lately it seems.  It’s the older open source stuff that is the most useful it seems.  I don’t know if the world can survive without patents or not.  They are diseased though.

Yeah urm it sure is broken, world would be fine without them I'm sure. For sure sure they are, diseased.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

We're not going to see the end of patents anytime soon, but they're definitely stupid. In an ideal world, patents for anything that isn't created as a physical object should expire more quickly than patents for actual products, and the actual products should show the patent in use and not deviate from it or else the patent should be invalidated. Patents should not be able to be sold, either. The moment a company no longer exists, the patents should go up in flames and the products should become public property.

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know if the world can survive without patents or not.  They are diseased though.

Actually the Modern World can exist w/o Patents.

7 minutes ago, Syrsly said:

We're not going to see the end of patents anytime soon, but they're definitely stupid. In an ideal world, patents for anything that isn't created as a physical object should expire more quickly than patents for actual products, and the actual products should show the patent in use and not deviate from it or else the patent should be invalidated. Patents should not be able to be sold, either. The moment a company no longer exists, the patents should go up in flames and the products should become public property.

Well I do think that Patent Trolling should be highly illegal and Companies engaged in should be put out of business and result in Prison for those involved.

1 hour ago, porina said:

If that was in reference to my question on the history of patents itself, it was more in general and not country specific. The concept of patents have existed far longer than the USA has. In the modern world, English language patents (not limited to USA) are written in a particular way, and it was more specifically that which I was wondering how it came about.

At first Patents granted by the King to grant Monopolies  to their "Friends" as a Award. And yes it was widely abuse.