PSA: don't buy aliexpress PCI adapters.

I'm curious to know. In what manor did the powder destroy all your server equipment? I'm not familiar with exactly what that powder is but is it in some way conductive? is it somehow corrosive? Can you not just tediously clean it out of the rack equipment and start them back up?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm curious to know. In what manor did the powder destroy all your server equipment? I'm not familiar with exactly what that powder is but is it in some way conductive? is it somehow corrosive? Can you not just tediously clean it out of the rack equipment and start them back up?

The powder is corrosive, and corrodes all metal it comes in contact with basically. So all electrocal contacts in the equipment is pretty much dead.

If not now definitely by the end of the month.

Holy crap.

How do you know the fire started in the adapter apart from them being cheap AE crap?

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

Holy crap.

How do you know the fire started in the adapter apart from them being cheap AE crap?

Fire departments will usually investigate that stuff and can generally figure out where the fire started from.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

Holy crap.

The PC ran fine for years, untill I put the adapters in.

Also the fire department confirmed the place it most likely happened was the bottom adapter. I trust those people know what they're saying.

Damn that really sucks.

Im surprised no protection in the power supply kicked in or anything.

Really sucks though, looks like you had a real nice rig. At least your neighbors caught it though and you didnt loose more.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

F

These are being sold at places like Amazon as well (just looked them up cause you are right, love the cable cleanup.) - chenyang store kind of indicates Aliexpress to me, but Id be careful using these after seeing your story.

Amazon.com: CY ATX 8Pin Female to 8pin Male 180 Degree Angled Adapter for Desktops Graphics Card ATX Adapter: Computers & Accessories

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

24 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

or got so hot that the foam on the back caught fire. 

Why is there foam on the back of them anyway? I would guess it’s to cover the contacts on the board so nothing shorts them, but would it not be better to use plastic instead? Is that just a cost saving thing, and if so if someone really wanted to use something like these, could replacing the foam with a piece of plastic make them safer? Just theoretical questions, I’m not planning on buying anything like them. 

Edit: Damn that sucks, hopefully you can rebuild your rack and thankfully the fire didn’t spread further, could have ended much worse.

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

Why is there foam on the back of them anyway? I would guess it’s to cover the contacts on the board so nothing shorts them, but would it not be better to use plastic instead? Is that just a cost saving thing, and if so if someone really wanted to use something like these, could replacing the foam with a piece of plastic make them safer? Just theoretical questions, I’m not planning on buying anything like them. 

To be honest I'm not sure. My best bet is that they needed to cover the solder joints with something to keep people from touching live contacts, and foam turned out the cheapest. 

These adapters are like 0.50 a piece.

honestly I don't understand what these adapters do? Or why you would put cheap Ali express shit in a rather high end rig...  The only thing where I'd probably put those is if it's a rig built from cheap ali express shit. 🤷🏼

Also I'm really sorry this happened, it must suck... I suppose this isn't an insurance case? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

honestly I don't understand what these adapters do? Or why you would put cheap Ali express shit in a rather high end rig...  The only thing where I'd probably put those is if it's a rig built from cheap ali express shit. 🤷🏼

Also I'm really sorry this happened, it must suck... I suppose this isn't an insurance case? 

I have insurance, and thankfully this is covered. There was a lot of custom work in this pc tough. Also parts that aren't for sale anymore here like the case.

Oh I see, this is SLI bridge of sorts? 

3 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

I have insurance, and thankfully this is covered

well at least!  👍 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Oh I see, this is SLI bridge of sorts? 

well at least!  👍 

It just redirects the location of the 8pin, it puts the power connectors under the card for cable management

I like the look (didnt know they existed till this) but only ones I can find are from China so far so going to avoid.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I remember this setup from show off thread

and sad to see a bunch of it is dead

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

I have insurance, and thankfully this is covered. There was a lot of custom work in this pc tough. Also parts that went for sale anymore here like the case.

Did you leave a negative review with this experience highlighted? I feel like you should. It's a pretty major problem IMO.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

29 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Fire departments will usually investigate that stuff and can generally figure out where the fire started from.

Yes except look at that picture. The remains of the adapters look no different from the rest of the PC.

The question is, did the fire dept investigate on their own and then pointed at the adapter without any bias, or did they point at the adapter after the OP suggested that may be the cause?

I want to be clear in that I am in no way saying these adapters are safe, it just seems so unlikely to me how they would cause such a fire. Especially considering the computer was under basically zero load. 

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

It just redirects the location of the 8pin, it puts the power connectors under the card for cable management

Ah I see, got it... 

it's kind of like this. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQ1YEYH/ref=psdcmw_172544_t2_B07P5R258Q

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

I have insurance, and thankfully this is covered

thats good to hear

14 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

There was a lot of custom work in this pc tough. Also parts that aren't for sale anymore here like the case.

sucks that you can't get the case, but sometimes doing the job a second time bring new ideas that you can do

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Yes except look at that picture. The remains of the adapters look no different from the rest of the PC.

The question is, did the fire dept investigate on their own and then pointed at the adapter without any bias, or did they point at the adapter after the OP suggested that may be the cause?

I want to be clear in that I am in no way saying these adapters are safe, it just seems so unlikely to me how they would cause such a fire. Especially considering the computer was under basically zero load. 

I heard it directly from the fire guys. They didn't word it this specifically but what they said was basically this: "there was probably a short of some kind in this part" while pointing at the adapters.

2 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

"there was probably a short of some kind in this part" while pointing at the adapters.

Hmm well it's possible for sure. Especially since it's unlikely anything else caught fire in there. Shame we don't have some footage of it happening, I'm quite curious what exactly happened in there. 

Hopefully you can get a new rig (without those adapters) up and running soon

given you've got a lot of electronics I'd get a electronics safe large fire extinguisher  and leave it next to the rack, they aren't cheap but its cheaper than replacing all that

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Probably not a short between + and -  as that would trip the PSU, but the crappy tin contacts got hot and then things lit fire. Had a molex to 6 pin do that to me a while back, melted and charred but no fire thank goodness.

As if I needed another reason to fully shut down my PC when I'm leaving the house...

The problem with cheap shit... Is that it's cheap flammable shit.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 hours ago, RollinLower said:

The powder is corrosive, and corrodes all metal it comes in contact with basically. So all electrocal contacts in the equipment is pretty much dead.

If not now definitely by the end of the month.

What an intelligently designed fire extinguisher then /s. The whole point of a fire extinguisher is to minimize damage (and save lives). Kind of kicks itself in the ass if it puts out the fire but kills all nearby electronics in the process.