Samsung May Copy Apple After Mocking Them. Galaxy S21 will most likely not include charger and headphones (will be sold separately).

GoodBytes

Samsung is removing its own posts it has done on social media that were mocking Apple for the removal of the phone charger and headphones with their phones.

What's the big deal? Well, Samsung has done the same thing when it comes to their removal of the headphone jack (see second source linked below), before releasing their new phone witch also didn't have the headphone plug that they were mocking Apple of removing.

So, this strongly suggest that, once again, Samsung will photocopy Apple and remove the charger and headphones with all its phones.

Quotes

There are reports now that the Samsung Galaxy S21 box may not include a charger or earphones. By doing this, the company would be following in Apple’s footsteps. It recently launched the iPhone 12 which does not come with any of these accessories in the box.

Apple has said that it has made this decision for environmental purposes. However, there has been no revision of the price. Its phones don’t cost any less because they no longer come with a charger. This provides the company with an opportunity to increase its margins. Samsung is now believed to be thinking along the same lines.

Sources:

https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s21-box-not-include-charger-earphones/

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/samsung-galaxy-note-10-headphone-jack-apple-ad-a9054256.html

While there is no news source on this, I notice that Samsung seems to have also quietly removed thier ad on their YouTube channel mocking Apple for its notch. Probably that was also done before their released their phone with a notch (granted much smaller, and on lower end models, but still, a notch is a notch).

Considering how Samsung just copies Apple to a point that it feels like Samsung is a sub-division of Apple (my opinion, of course), I don't expect Samsung to reduce the price of their phones either, just like Apple.

That said, Samsung, if I am not mistaken, never shipped any of their phones with the 45W charger required to actually enjoy fast charging. They always included a 25W one, forcing people to buy a different charger.

They probably figure that if it was ok with Apple customers that it would be ok with their customers too...and they're right. What are you going to do, not buy a new phone? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

They probably figure that if it was ok with Apple customers that it would be ok with their customers too...and they're right. What are you going to do, not buy a new phone? 

To be honest that’s not how Beeing  right works. I would say they are both wrong but they can pull it off anyway because of a lot of different factors.

11 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I think the biggest problem is that most people buying premium phones, finance them, and so any price increase is a few dollars on their plans, and things like removing accessories, won't make them realize the reduction in the value that they are getting compared to before. If people bought only what they could afford instead (meaning you buy a phone in full), then these tactics won't work, I suspect. 

28 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Buy a different one. I never wanted to spend more than 300 on a phone and thus have never done so and still have all the features I need (no notch, headphone jack and expandable and/or large internal storage)

My opinion on the whole "everyone copies apple" theme:

Apple: has something

Apple fans: OMG android sucks it doesn't have this feature

Android: adds that feature

Apple fans: OMG android sucks it's an apple copycat

That's probably not the case here, but I feel like it's a lot of the reason for stuff like this.

It's as if Samsung is going out of its way to shoot down the anti-Apple types before they can get a word in edgewise. "Surely Samsung would never copy Apple by... oh wait, it did."

Not that losing included chargers is a great thing regardless of platform (outside of the environmental aspect), but it's been pretty clear since 2010 that Samsung often waits to see what Apple does and copies the bits it likes.

Hell, I still remember how Samsung completely redid the Galaxy Tab 10.1's external design in 2011. It initially looked more like the original iPad, then became a whole lot sleeker after Samsung panicked when the iPad 2 arrived.  The company could have made a sleek design all along, but simply decided that aping the first iPad was enough.

12 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

That's probably not the case here, but I feel like it's a lot of the reason for stuff like this.

It's not so much that Google or Android vendors roll features in, it's that sometimes the copying is rather obvious or arbitrary. Samsung didn't have to remove chargers and clearly hadn't planned to as recently as October (hence the ads) — all the evidence suggests Samsung is doing this purely because Apple did.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

What's the big deal? Well, Samsung has done the same thing when it comes to their removal of the headphone jack (see second source linked bellow), before releasing their next Galaxy S series phone with exactly what Samsung was mocking Apple of doing.

Are there any flagship phones that are releasing with a headphone jack? :( 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

it's been pretty clear since 2010 that Samsung often waits to see what Apple does and copies the bits it likes.

The exact same thing can be said about Apple waiting to see what Samsung does, and then copying that.

Everyone copies each other. 

With the recent rumors/reports that the S21 will be significantly cheaper than the S20 (like 150 dollars cheaper I think), I don't think this is a big deal.

if it's easy to profit by copying someone, then why not do it? There's no incentive not to

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

In other words, welcome to the world of Android manufacturers.

I.E: Mock Apple for doing something the internet hates, then go do it yourselves.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I'm glad, I hate how every single thing that charges comes with a cable, its just waste. nearly all of us already have plenty of charging cables, and you don't need a separate cable for each device.

I don't see a huge issue with this. If anything, with USB C becoming more and more prevalent, everyone should have cables they can use, as well as chargers. If you don't? Yes, you'll have to go out and buy one. Something you'll only have to do once, as you'll then have your charger, and you'll bet set. You have to start somewhere to reduce waste, and yes, there will be a couple years of growing pains, but after that we'll wonder why we didn't do it sooner.

I've always thought the included headphones were an even bigger joke. Aside from Apple, most people just throw them out, as the quality is abysmal.

Samsung has never released a phone with a notch.

25w is still considered fast charging, just not the fastest charging. You don't have to buy a new charger.

I don't see why they'd lower the price of their phones. If anything, if they keep them the same, they're technically making it cheaper as the cost of inflation would be significantly more than what the charger cost.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

I don't think people are necessarily ok with it, they just put up with it. If you're in the Apple ecosystem, you don't have a choice. With Android devices, you can pick something else and vote with your wallet.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I think the biggest problem is that most people buying premium phones, finance them, and so any price increase is a few dollars on their plans, and things like removing accessories won't make them realize the reduction in value. If people bought only what they could afford instead (meaning you buy a phone in full), then these tactics, won't work I suspect. 

That's kind of an odd stance to take though, and one that I've always found grossly incorrect. Just because you finance the phone, doesn't mean you can't afford it, and in fact, is by far the smarter route to take. It leaves you with more fluid assets, which is always more beneficial, at no additional cost to the phone, and if anything, you'll get incentives bringing the price drastically lower. My S20 FE for example: it was on promotion for $230 off, and on top of that I got a $300 BestBuy gift card.

2 hours ago, Grabhanem said:

It goes both ways. Apple implements things and tries to pass them off as the first time it's been in a phone, when really it's been around for ages.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Are there any flagship phones that are releasing with a headphone jack? :( 

I imagine the Asus RoG Phone 4 will, and Sony usually does.

23 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The exact same thing can be said about Apple waiting to see what Samsung does, and then copying that.

With the recent rumors/reports that the S21 will be significantly cheaper than the S20 (like 150 dollars cheaper I think), I don't think this is a big deal.

It'd be nice if that were true. Rumor is flat 1080p screens as well, which would help keep the cost down. They also probably see that most people aren't going to be able to afford as expensive devices in the coming year, so why have potentially tons of stock leftover when you can just take less profit.

3 minutes ago, poochyena said:

I'm glad, I hate how every single thing that charges comes with a cable, its just waste. nearly all of us already have plenty of charging cables, and you don't need a separate cable for each device.

Exactly this. Especially since most things nowadays come with USB C. IMO if anything it'll create a larger push for universal adoption of USB C, since it'll reduce the amount of money manufacturers have to pay (chargers/cables). I invested in a couple of really nice USB C cables years ago, and haven't touched the included accessories since. I don't even dive that deep into the box anymore, which helps resale value.

12 minutes ago, Jmighty said:

Now other companies will follow. 

Good.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Samsung has never released a phone with a notch.

sure they did. Just a smaller one for the front facing camera.

such as the M12, A10 and A20

It’s funny though.

I’ve usually not bothered using the included charger since I got an Anker 5-port wallwart and a series of braided cables that usually put the included ones to shame.

Except not too long ago, I needed an extra microUSB cable (yes, microUSB in 2020...) for an Xbox One controller as an external drive also needed to be hooked up. Scoured through some phone boxes until I found a brand-new one still waiting to be used inside the box of a Zenfone 2.

It was waiting 5 years for this moment 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

I pray Sony dont drop the jack

Xperia 1 ii (released)

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_1_ii-10096.php

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I imagine the Asus RoG Phone 4 will, and Sony usually does.

I know the market is switching to wireless headphones and all but I will hold onto my wired headphones until they die and I cant get replacements for them. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

38 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Not quite — that's a bit of equivocation.

Apple certainly incorporates features from rivals. However, there's a difference between that and Samsung's occasional "me too" strategy where the implementation is too similar, or clearly didn't need to happen at all. The Galaxy S/SII/Tab 10.1 didn't just kinda look like Apple devices — Samsung went out of its way to replicate key parts of the interface. Ditto efforts like Samsung Wallet (an aesthetic and functional clone of Apple's Passbook, eventually Wallet).

Also, keep in mind that Samsung had a history of chasing after rivals before Apple, like the BlackJack arriving when BlackBerry phones were taking off. Things have changed over the years, but the company does have a bad habit of trying to compete by cloning, not just rough feature parity.

Samsung is just following the industry standards set by Apple so you can't really fault them there.

Either way this is really good for the environment. Most people throw chargers and headphones away and end up having too many of them. Usually when people sell their phones they just sell the device and keep the rest. Most people here probably have excess chargers and headphones at home and many people even buy premium ones anyway so giving people cheap ones together with their new phone is just a waste. They're not exactly expensive either should one have to buy them. Electrical waste is a very significant issue currently.

7 hours ago, dizmo said:

That's kind of an odd stance to take though, and one that I've always found grossly incorrect. Just because you finance the phone, doesn't mean you can't afford it, and in fact, is by far the smarter route to take. It leaves you with more fluid assets, which is always more beneficial, at no additional cost to the phone, and if anything, you'll get incentives bringing the price drastically lower. My S20 FE for example: it was on promotion for $230 off, and on top of that I got a $300 BestBuy gift card.

That is incorrect. Buying the phone in full, allows you to have drastically lower monthly payment with your plan, and giving you the power to change carrier each month, if you want (or even less then that), and also taking advantage of sign-up offers. You are not stuck for 2-3 years with a provider which knows you are stuck with them and can take advantage of that. In addition, you can buy phone at a lower price. The promotion you see, are actually not really promotions... you pay for them via your plan. In other words, a 0% interest loan disguised.

Now I can only speak in Canada, but buying your phone in full, also give you power to access "secret" plans not being displayed on the phone carrier website. This is where you call them, present what you have and ask what if they can do better... then magic... oh look, here is a perfect plan for you not listed on their website!

Another issue is if your phone is lost or broken. Carrier will go "no worries, here is a new one"... but you just renewed your contract... so now you are lock with them for another 2 or 3 years added to your current contract. So, if you have a 3-year contract, and your phone is lost 1 year in, well, now you get another phone, and now you are 5 years locked in, as you have to pay the old phone (finish the 2 years) and the new one (3 years contract). Mobile carriers want you to be locked in with them. This is the exact same principal with car leases. When you'll return your car at the end of your lease, and you choose to not buy it, you end up is the dealership scratching the bucket with overpriced things to repair or re-repair (as it happened that you didn't do it at the dealership, and therefore considered improper and needs to be redone, even though they'll charge you for it, and not actually do it), and goes "well now you have to pay us 3000$" (or whatever), and then goes "But dizmo.. you are our FAVORITE customer... so here is what we will do... get another lease from us, and all these fees will go away...". It is all about locking the consumer in, is the point I am going with.

This also, forces you to buy what you can afford. If the 1000$ price tag phone is too expensive (you don't have savings to buy it), then you can't afford it. Buy what you can afford, and now you can allow you to build up your savings, which you can use for other things that might be more important. (Water heater broke, roof leaks, car repair, computer hardware broken... whatever the case may be, now you have savings to tackle it) and you might still be perfectly happy with your lower cost phone, despite what you thought.

3 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

Samsung is just following the industry standards set by Apple so you can't really fault them there.

Either way this is really good for the environment. Most people throw chargers and headphones away and end up having too many of them. Usually when people sell their phones they just sell the device and keep the rest. Most people here probably have excess chargers and headphones at home and many people even buy premium ones anyway so giving people cheap ones together with their new phone is just a waste. They're not exactly expensive either should one have to buy them. Electrical waste is a very significant issue currently.

Samsung is a giant. Bigger than Apple. "Standard" is when you have many following something. In this case, you only have Apple... then Samsung is quick to follow... then yes, the smaller companies tend to follow as well afterwards.

20 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Samsung is a giant. Bigger than Apple. "Standard" is when you have many following something. In this case, you only have Apple... then Samsung is quick to follow... then yes, the smaller companies tend to follow as well afterwards.

This is not correct. Apple is larger than Samsung when it comes to smartphones alone and therefore they lead the market with trends which everyone follows. They removed the headphone jack and everyone followed them, they turned smartphones into a fashion icon and everyone follows. If it wasn't for Apple the smartphone industry would be a lot smaller and less profitable but they made it accessible to clueless people and catered to them. Before Apple smartphones were mainly used by tech savvy people or for business use. It doesn't matter how you look at it but Apple is the market leader here and therefore they set the standard. If Samsung could they would be more than happy to trade places with Apple and have their flagship phone be popular with little teen girls instead because it makes a lot more money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2019/12/22/global-phone-profits-apple-66-samsung-17-everyone-else-unlucky-13/?sh=6cdb80be2ff3

8 minutes ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

This is not correct. Apple is larger than Samsung when it comes to smartphones alone and therefore they lead the market with trends which everyone follows. They removed the headphone jack and everyone followed them, they turned smartphones into a fashion icon and everyone follows. If it wasn't for Apple the smartphone industry would be a lot smaller and less profitable but they made it accessible to clueless people and catered to them. Before Apple smartphones were mainly used by tech savvy people or for business use. It doesn't matter how you look at it but Apple is the market leader here and therefore they set the standard. If Samsung could they would be more than happy to trade places with Apple and have their flagship phone be popular with little teen girls instead because it makes a lot more money.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2019/12/22/global-phone-profits-apple-66-samsung-17-everyone-else-unlucky-13/?sh=6cdb80be2ff3

15655.jpeg

Source: https://www.statista.com/chart/15655/apple-and-samsung-dominate-smartphone-market/