Samsung May Copy Apple After Mocking Them. Galaxy S21 will most likely not include charger and headphones (will be sold separately).

GoodBytes
On 12/22/2020 at 10:40 AM, GoodBytes said:

That said, Samsung, if I am not mistaken, never shipped any of their phones with the 45W charger required to actually enjoy fast charging. They always included a 25W one, forcing people to buy a different charger.

I don't notice a difference in charging time using the fastcharge port on my laptop or the included charging block that came with my S10.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Apple also stopped providing a charging brick, because the EU was crying about E Waste. 

I don't know where you got this from, but it's wrong.

The EU "crying about e-waste" was them wanting all phones to use a standardized charger (like USB-C), instead of proprietary ones (like Lighting). The EU have not outlawed or cried about companies like Apple shipping with a charger. 

5 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I don't notice a difference in charging time using the fastcharge port on my laptop or the included charging block that came with my S10.

Ah! This is because, for fast charge, you need to have a compatible charger.

Basically, the way it works is that all chargers will deliver a minimum amount of power, which is the default USB power deliver specs. Nothing special there.

To get fast charging, the phone and the charger needs to communicate between each other (and so needs to understand each other), to allow the charger to output more power (this is done to avoid damaging your device).

I am not sure for your phone, but on my Pixel 3a, when charging, it will say on the screen "fast charging" or just "charging", depending if I am using a fast charging compatible charger or not.

Some phones uses a standard like Qualcomm Quick Charge (for this standard, they are 5 versions of it, as of now). So you'll need to use a charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge support of the supported version (If I am not mistaken it should be backward compatible, so if your phone takes v5, and your charger is v3, you'll get up to v3 performance.. but don't quote me on this). Other manufactures makes their own fast charging protocol/system, and so it will only work with their own (or certified third party) chargers. 

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I don't know where you got this from, but it's wrong.

The EU "crying about e-waste" was them wanting all phones to use a standardized charger (like USB-C), instead of proprietary ones (like Lighting). The EU have not outlawed or cried about companies like Apple shipping with a charger. 

The EU wanted them to standardize due to E Waste. So they cried like little ****** because of it. Apple standardized on QI charging, that should be enough. Technically speaking  the EU said they wanted Type C. What did Apple provide..... Type C. Maybe not the way the EU intended but the charger does have a type C connector on it. The new charging cable is more useless than you would know. Because my car doesn't have type C ports, so I would have to make sure I use an older cable to connect any new iPhone to my car. However due to the EU's crying about eWaste Apple decided, hey lets not include a charging brick. That probably wouldn't have happened if Europe didnt cry about every little thing. 

Personally I think if you're going to mandate a charging standard. Why not mandate Wireless charging via the Qi standard? Apple, Samsung and most other phone makers already use this standard. Wireless charging means no cables or charging bricks need to come with devices. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

This is great. The second company copying Apple after mocking them. From the company point of view, it actually makes sense to sell things separately. 

At least it makes more sense now, when more and more is going to a certain direction like for phones.

Not wanting the wireless charging however, if that was like 50% less power from it, no thanks.

Convenient, sure.

6 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

At least it makes more sense now, when more and more is going to a certain direction like for phones.

Not wanting the wireless charging however, if that was like 50% less power from it, no thanks.

Convenient, sure.

e-waste is the motivating factor above everything. Consider that things like headphones and chargers end up outlasting the device (by sometimes decades) it's an important thing to consider. Like I'm not even using my iPhone chargers, I have the iphone plugged into the UPS's type-c port. I have three of them, plus one aftermarket (with two type-A ports) one that I bought explicitly to charge the iphone and ipad at the same time, and ... that was when the charging current was much lower.

At any rate, as silly as it sounds, I find the chargers to be the same problem with restaurants throwing a handful of ketchup packets and plastic cutlery in with every takeout/drive-thru order. You didn't ask for them, you probably have ketchup and real cutlery at home. These things should be on the order menu with the option of "none please"

Which if you are ordering an iPhone or a Samsung device, you should have the option of "no charger" and get a discount, or have the charger as an optional bolt-on with a message of "you may already have one if you are replacing a previous smartphone"

1 hour ago, Kisai said:

At any rate, as silly as it sounds, I find the chargers to be the same problem with restaurants throwing a handful of ketchup packets and plastic cutlery in with every takeout/drive-thru order. You didn't ask for them, you probably have ketchup and real cutlery at home. These things should be on the order menu with the option of "none please"

Which if you are ordering an iPhone or a Samsung device, you should have the option of "no charger" and get a discount, or have the charger as an optional bolt-on with a message of "you may already have one if you are replacing a previous smartphone"

Agreed, although in some areas like health/food and like covid now. Single use can be "good" or a quick and dirty way of doing it, but the same for covid masks... there is a big issue with throw away ones than more washable ones so you don't throw away like 50+ in a short life span.

9 hours ago, Kisai said:

That's what they are doing, except "no charger" is the default setting and you can get a charger by simply ordering a charger with it.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That's what they are doing, except "no charger" is the default setting and you can get a charger by simply ordering a charger with it.

But for a premium

3 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

But for a premium

The rumors indicate that Samsung will lower the price on the Galaxy S21.

This generation's iPhone is also cheaper than they were a couple of generations ago.

Even if the pricing is the same, we don't know if they were going to raise prices but decided against it because they no longer include the charger.

There are a lot of different ways you can speculate, but I don't think we can simply say "they removed something without giving us consumer anything in return, and now want us to pay extra to get what we used to get for free".

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

The rumors indicate that Samsung will lower the price on the Galaxy S21.

That is said before Apple removed the charger, and that was more because Samsung is loose the premium market. S10 sold well by exception (I think it was due to India) compared to the S9 and S20 (which sold very poorly). 

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

This generation's iPhone is also cheaper than they were a couple of generations ago.

That is not what I seeing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#History_and_availability

On 12/27/2020 at 8:25 AM, Commodus said:

So you're going to be That Person holding on to a six-year-old phone that's falling apart (and vulnerable to lots of security exploits), waiting for the industry sea change that never comes?

They're reasonable requests, but requirements? No. Reasonable people learn to adapt and move forward (even if they're not thrilled), rather than expecting the entire universe to bend to their will.

Yep, that's exactly what I indent to do. It's the whole "vote with your wallet" idea taken to it's logical extreme. Besides there are companies out there that are trying to make good products like the fairphone. Which just lacks an oled display but that'll change as oled becomes better/cheaper.

Just don't like the lifetime of oled, although it's very nice to have on a phone :)

More so if it's capable of seeing good videos, and has the tech to at least reduce burning in the display.

I do wish they could state what tech they have for the OLED display to reduce this, when they state more often marketing nonsense when I want to know how well they are going to take care of my oled screen (although some are on myself though todo)

49 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

Yep, that's exactly what I indent to do. It's the whole "vote with your wallet" idea taken to it's logical extreme. Besides there are companies out there that are trying to make good products like the fairphone. Which just lacks an oled display but that'll change as oled becomes better/cheaper.

So how will you cope when (not if) the change never happens, you're forced to get a new phone, and devices like the Fairphone haven't improved enough?

10 minutes ago, Commodus said:

So how will you cope when (not if) the change never happens, you're forced to get a new phone, and devices like the Fairphone haven't improved enough?

I'd suck it up and get a fairphone or (dream version cause you're already being completely hypothetical about fairphone not improving) look into building my own phone from the same components major companies build them from with the addition of the features I want. Then since chances are there are other weirdos like me I'd have a potential product and customer base so I'd strive to build another company like fairphone that'd make a phone(s) that would have all the stuff I'd want.

TLDR: If I don't like the universe and there's no way I can have what I want then I'll try to change the universe to be how I want it to be instead of giving up and accepting it.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:47 PM, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Honestly I'm not too upset about this, most of us probably have chargers. I do think that the smartphone market is really stagnant though, I see no reason to buy a new phone in the current market, I've been using hand-me down phones (7 and recently XR which I got for extremely cheap) and I see no reason to switch to these new phones. 

Same. There is really nothing I dislike about iPhone XR. It just works great and thanks to timely updates that will last longer than with any Android phone, I just don't really worry about any of it. And it's still stupid fast at everything I do with it.