URGENCY! PC won't post.

Go to solution Solved by Dixel,

Alright, none of what you guys suggested actually worked. I just did the old "unplug it and plug it back in" method and that did the job. I reseated the GPU and unplugged and plugged in every single power connector. That did the job. Maybe it was the motherboard power connector or the CPU power connector. It clearly wasn't the GPU connector since I tried unplugging and plugging it back in multiple times.

My computer won't post, shows a black screen.

Last night I shutdown my computer and went to take a shower, when I come back I can hear the fans spin up and the hard drives buzzing but it's just a black screen. So I use the restart button, nothing. I hold down the power button to shut it off and the GPU blinks 2 red lights just about the power connectors. 

Right now I just took out and reseated the power connectors and nothing. Something MIGHT have happened when I opened the side panel and just left it half open for an hour or 2 cus I was going to remove a hard drive but that was still before I shutdown the machine. 

I have a test coming up which I must study for and a 3D modeling project for my school's engineering competition that I need to finish by tomorrow.. To say this is urgency/emergency would be an understatement.

5 minutes ago, Dixel said:

My computer won't post, shows a black screen.

Last night I shutdown my computer and went to take a shower, when I come back I can hear the fans spin up and the hard drives buzzing but it's just a black screen. So I use the restart button, nothing. I hold down the power button to shut it off and the GPU blinks 2 red lights just about the power connectors. 

Right now I just took out and reseated the power connectors and nothing. Something MIGHT have happened when I opened the side panel and just left it half open for an hour or 2 cus I was going to remove a hard drive but that was still before I shutdown the machine. 

I have a test coming up which I must study for and a 3D modeling project for my school's engineering competition that I need to finish by tomorrow.. To say this is urgency/emergency would be an understatement.

What are the specs of your system?

Just now, BiotechBen said:

What are the specs of your system?

It's listed in my profile, I don't completely remember so you'll have to look there.

try clearing CMOS?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

17 minutes ago, Dixel said:

It's listed in my profile, I don't completely remember so you'll have to look there.

Does your motherboard have any diagnostic lights?

2 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Does your motherboard have any diagnostic lights?

I don't know where the diagnostic lights are but I don't see any light from the motherboard. I see 2 red lights blink on the GPU itself. Both lights just a bit above both power connectors.

12 minutes ago, podkall said:

try clearing CMOS?

That's a little extreme, I would like to try other things first. I also don't see the point of this.

2 minutes ago, Dixel said:

That's a little extreme, I would like to try other things first. I also don't see the point of this.

CMOS clear just sets everything back to base settings, and allows for anything that may have gone wonky to be set back to Default.

4 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I don't know where the diagnostic lights are but I don't see any light from the motherboard. I see 2 red lights blink on the GPU itself. Both lights just a bit above both power connectors.

I'd say reseat the GPU, make sure the cables are secure and try again?

19 minutes ago, Dixel said:

CMOS clear clears bios memory, which just resets it to default settings (disables XMP on ram for example)

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

I will reseat the gpu first, then I'll try clearing cmos.

Just reseated the GPU, didn't work. Still the red blinking light.

Remove the GPU on your https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-AC-rev-1x#kf

Use the onboard HDMI port to connect to your monitor or a TV.

Start the computer and press the Del key to enter Setup (Bios) if that loads Set Bios to Defaults.

If that doesn't load, check on the motherboard for EZ Debug Lights (ie) CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot (See attached) if one or more of these lights are lit then that will point to the issue.

Clearing CMOS will be set everything back to Default, unless the Motherboard got shorted out. 

w8-1b1[1].jpg

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

7 minutes ago, spunk.funk said:

Remove the GPU on your https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B560M-DS3H-AC-rev-1x#kf

Start the computer and press the Del key to enter Setup (Bios) if that loads Set Bios to Defaults.

If that doesn't load, check on the motherboard for EZ Debug Lights (ie) CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot (See attached) if one or more of these lights are lit then that will point to the issue.

Clearing CMOS will be set everything back to Default, unless the Motherboard got shorted out. 

w8-1b1[1].jpg

Hey, HDMI is not an option, I do not have a HDMI cable. I just reset CMOS and nothing posts again. Same black screen.

You can get an Display Port or whatever to HDMI adapter or cable at your local Electronics store.

Your GPU may be the issue. Usually it would show an EZ Debug light for VGA on the motherboard as pictures in previous post. 

If all fails, CLEAR_CMOS, some models have a Button on the back next to the PSU. Others you may have to remove a jumper pin on the motherboard, then replace it. 

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on any volunteer's post to thank them if they helped .(lower left, just to the right of My Computer )

13 minutes ago, spunk.funk said:

You can get an Display Port or whatever to HDMI adapter or cable at your local Electronics store.

Your GPU may be the issue. Usually it would show an EZ Debug light for VGA on the motherboard as pictures in previous post. 

If all fails, CLEAR_CMOS, some models have a Button on the back next to the PSU. Others you may have to remove a jumper pin on the motherboard, then replace it. 

There is a clear cmos jumper which I will try in a moment. There isn't a EZ Debug light on my motherboard.

37 minutes ago, spunk.funk said:

I just jumped the clear CMOS, still nothing and btw forgot to mention, my monitor blinks blue which the manual says there is no display output and the monitor is sleeping. In a normal day, this happens when I turn off the computer and the monitor automatically goes to sleep. Gonna try to look up some tutorials.

1 hour ago, spunk.funk said:

w8-1b1[1].jpg

Ryzen 5600 does NOT have iGPU. The HDMI / DP ports on the motherboard does nothing.

@Dixel if you can borrow another graphics card or something, to rule out a faulty GPU.

The Red LEDs on the XFX graphics card only comes on during two possible scenarios:

• PCI-E power cable not connected / missing
  • Voltage through the connector is too low (e.g. PSU / connector issue)

So the other item to check is the PSU - see if that has started to go bad, etc.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

15 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Ryzen 5600 does NOT have iGPU. The HDMI / DP ports on the motherboard does nothing.

@Dixel if you can borrow another graphics card or something, to rule out a faulty GPU.

The Red LEDs on the XFX graphics card only comes on during two possible scenarios:

Well shoot, those are really bad options. I stated earlier I had my back panel half open for like an hour or two. I do remember bumping into it once while in it's half open state, maybe I hit something. I think PSU might have something to do with this. I'm gonna unplug EVERYTHING, check the PSU and reinstall it. Borrow another GPU or PSU isn't an option since I spent all my money on this PC and I don't have anything that can lend me a spare.

18 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Also, what if it is the PSU and it's gone forever? What do I do now, just drop 60$ on another?

6 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Also, what if it is the PSU and it's gone forever? What do I do now, just drop 60$ on another?

If the PSU is dead / dying, you don't really have a choice.

Especially if you need the PC up and running ASAP, too.

I would NOT recommend that you try to "self diagnose / self repair" a malfunctioning PSU, too.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

3 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

If the PSU is dead / dying, you don't really have a choice.

Especially if you need the PC up and running ASAP, too.

I would NOT recommend that you try to "self diagnose / self repair" a malfunctioning PSU, too.

Well that certainly is sad, this PC is 2 months - 3months old. This is the reason I highly doubt its a dead PSU and maybe something got moved around when I bumped it. Do you have any recommendations or anything to say before I go ahead and take everything out?

You will need to test each components separately.

Remove or unplug all non essential components. Unplug or remove all external and internal drives. Remove GPU, Remove all but one module of RAM, swap the slot and RAM modules around. If you have another computer or Voltage Meter, test PSU.

If all of this fails, the motherboard is most likely been shorted out and will need to be returned. 

Alright, none of what you guys suggested actually worked. I just did the old "unplug it and plug it back in" method and that did the job. I reseated the GPU and unplugged and plugged in every single power connector. That did the job. Maybe it was the motherboard power connector or the CPU power connector. It clearly wasn't the GPU connector since I tried unplugging and plugging it back in multiple times.

Whenever you have hardware problems, starting by Reseating the RAM and GPU is the first troubleshooting steps you should take. good job